Friday, 14 July 2017

Photo 46

Why is it that when you get rid of something you suddenly need it. Photo of the day is simply a red t-shirt but there is a little story behind this.

Before Thomas' room was decorated I gave it a good sorting out but I still needed to go through his clothes. 

In the pile I'd sorted for charity I added a red t-shirt, which I thought I'd bought for Comic Relief, although they didn't end up doing anything this year. I dropped it all off at the charity shop on Monday. 

Last night he brought home the school newsletter and sports day was mentioned with the add on of "can the children all wear t-shirts in their house colours" which for Thomas is, yes you've guessed it, red. As soon as I read it I remembered why the t-shirt was in the wardrobe. I always buy one at the beginning of the year for sports day and other house events, of which there have been none this year, so it's just been hanging there. Why it never crossed my mind that he would need it for sports day I don't know. 

Anyway this morning I went to retrieve it from the charity shop thinking it would still be there but it had already gone along with some of his other things. I know because a couple of his t shirts were still on the rail. I know the manager of the shop well enough to have a few words with now, as I'm always dropping something off and I was toying with the idea of asking her if I could 'borrow' it back for the weekend :)

I ended up having to buy him another one which he will never wear again and which no doubt I'll be dropping off at the YMCA again within days. 

All I can say is they better not be rained off on Monday. 

So, have you got rid of anything only to discover that even though you've not used it for ages, you suddenly need it?

By the way, I've not bothered ironing the tag down because, as you all know, it will have to be cut out! 

xxx










13 comments:

  1. That's a bit frustrating but I guess the charity will benefit....twice! I can't think I've ever got rid of something then needed it. You've got me wondering now. It'll probably come to me at 3am. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frustrating and typical Jules but you're right the charity will benefit again :) It's raining here today, it had better be blue sky and sunshine on Monday or there'll be trouble lol. Have a lovely weekend. xx

      Delete
  2. Always happening here and usually because I've persuaded Col to get rid of something from his"might come in handy" collection so it's always my fault!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I quite happily throw Amy and Thomas' things away that they've not used for ages but I wouldn't dare touch Mark's, for exactly the reason you've stated. He might not have used it for years but the moment it's gone I know he'd want it! xx

      Delete
  3. The discussion about what to keep and what to sell/give away from the caravan, is simmering nicely here. Watch this space! My daughter gave me a fleece blanket for backing a quilt but it wasn't suitable so I donated it. During the hot weather recently, her husband hunted all over the house for it as he wanted to use it instead of the duvet. She finally had to own up that it had gone after asking me if I still had it! Oops. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we sold the first van I ended up with double of everything from quilts, covers, kitchenware etc. There was no way I could fit it all in the house so I kept a few bits then did a car boot with the rest.

      The fleece blanket is just typical isn't it. Get rid of it and somebody suddenly needs it. I may have been guilty of telling Amy and Thomas they've mislaid something in the past knowing full well it's on a shelf in a charity shop! xx

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. deleted my earlier comment. will explain in email.

    typical! that's all I can say! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, not another school classic I hope? Look forward to hearing from you. xx

      Delete
  6. Oh I do it all the time and drive myself mad.
    I'm just wishing that I hadn't given away my big stand mixer but hry ho...it's gone and I am not buying another now.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't just do it with other people's things but my own stuff as well. I have things in the kitchen cupboards that I have to restrain myself from chucking because even though they only get used a couple of times a year I do need them. But storing that sort of thing drives me mad because it takes up room. xx

      Delete
  7. Glad you were able to buy another T-shirt and as someone else said, the charity shop will benefit twice. Giving something away and needing it is the main reason why I hold on to so many things! I KNOW I will need it when I get rid of it! I have to be really, really sure before I give something away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'm probably a bit too ruthless with the de-cluttering but there's not much stuff I wish I hadn't got rid of. The t-shirt was typical though! Why I didn't think to keep hold of it I don't know. If it had been Amy she'd have just worn her usual white one but Thomas has to have things right so I had no choice but to buy one. And guess what, there were all colours of t-shirts there at sports day! xx

      Delete