Monday, 10 July 2017

Photo 42

Have you ever thought, if only I'd know that years ago. I've had one of those moments this weekend and it all stemmed from Tania over at Frugal in Essex doing a post which mentioned a bread base quiche.

I love quiche but don't really like making pastry, the quick mix packet ones still involve the mess of rolling out and I'm never organised enough to have any in the freezer. Anyway, I decided to give it a go but instead of using bread I used tortilla wraps.

All I did was butter one side of 2 wraps and line a lightly greased dish with them. Don't bother about neatness, I overlapped the base and cut strips for the sides and just pressed them together. Then I made the quiche filling as I normally would, poured it in and into the oven it went. 

I wasn't sure what it would taste like or if the texture would be weird but I have to say it was delicious. I can be quite fussy myself about certain things but you really couldn't tell the difference. If I'd known how easy quiche could be I'd have made them a lot more often.

So thank you Tania for a top tip and if you like quiche it's definitely worth giving the bread/wrap base a go.




12 comments:

  1. So much easier and healthier than pastry. I make tortilla pizza which is lovely too. All top no bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read my mind Tania. I was thinking about using them for pizza bases. I don't like the thick doughy ones I always go for thin crust so a tortilla wrap would be ideal. I'll be making Lots more quiche from now on. Xx

      Delete
  2. Fantastic idea. I'll try it this week. Thank you Suzanne and Tania. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go Jules if you like it it's so much easier than pastry. Wish I'd known about it years ago. Xx

      Delete
  3. I should try that. Takes the hassle out of quiche making. Sometimes I make a mini breakfast quiche by rolling out some bread to flatten, then putting in a tart tin and filling with egg and cheese and tomato. This sounds like a much better idea.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flattened bread is what Tania does so it's the same thing. Never thought about a mini breakfast quiche before but that's a really good idea. Little ones would be nice as snacks as well. Better than all the biscuits I can work my way through as well! Xx

      Delete
  4. Not much of a fan of quiche, but glad you found an easy alternative to the dough crust! I sometimes buy the mini frozen quiche to serve as appetizers at parties - each is about an inch across and half-inch deep. I rather like those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody else is keen although mark will eat a piece occasionally so making one for myself with pastry seemed extra work. Now I can just whip one up when I feel like it. Xx

      Delete
  5. I often make crustless quiche but will try this for a change. Thanks for bringing attention to this great tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried crustless quiche but Mum makes it sometimes. The wrap or bread idea is definitely worth a go. If it hadn't been for tania I'd still be thinking too much trouble. Xx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It was delicious Sheila and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. All these years I've fancied quiche but have missed out because I didn't want to make pastry! xx

      Delete