Tuesday, 6 June 2017

Photo 7

Red Alert, red alert - coming out of my comfort zone again here. Before I carry on though can I just say this is a Show and Tell post, not a Show and Sell. I just decided to share something with you all. 

It's no secret that I love knitting and crocheting but as I have no need for endless blankets, scarfs or cushion covers, I send most of it to charity. I love doing this; making something that I hope somebody will find useful. Donating money always makes me wonder if it's going to the people who need it, and I tend to think probably not. Don't get me wrong, I donate cash to certain causes but really I'm happier donating things, whether it's bits and bobs to charity shops, food to the food bank or my knitting and crocheting. 

Anyway, I digress. Just after Christmas I started toying with the idea of making up some knitting boxes to sell. It was just an extension of a hobby made easier to do because we have a mill not too far from us where you can rent stands and sell things for a small commission.

I wasn't sure though and put it on the back burner but I kept thinking, I should just give it a go. After running it by 2 lovely blogging friends, one who knits and one who doesn't to see what they thought, I decided to take the plunge.

It was fun ordering boxes, deciding what to put in them, choosing patterns and wool colours and taking photos. Harder than I thought it would be, mainly because I'm pretty indecisive, but all the same fun.

It took a few weeks to get them together and in the middle of April they went on sale at the mill.

So far they are selling slowly but surely and are paying the rent which is always a bonus. The only downside is it would seem 2 have been stolen. The mill is visited by coachloads of older people and I can't help but smile thinking that maybe a gangsta granny has snaffled two into her shopping bag. Of course, it could be anyone, but I want it to be a naughty granny! It's easy to do actually, security is minimal and I needed to bring a box home with me last week so I just put it in my bag ready to show my card in case I was stopped, but I wasn't. 

Anyway, I'm cheating today and posting 7 photos, one of each box and the stand.

Btw, Rachel at Eternally 28 is the knitter and has made the baby boy jacket and written a lovely post about it - thank you :) And Sadie at The Sadie Diaires worked in retail and is unbelievably talented at making the most basic things look wonderful in her photos, so her opinion on the boxes was really appreciated. 

I'm feeling all light headed now. I've posted a photo of myself and my boxes within a week. I'm frightened I'm morphing into a selfie loving, self-promoting blogger!  

Back to basics tomorrow.


  


   

  



xxx











22 comments:

  1. Oh Suzanne, they're beautiful! What an exciting new venture for you and a wonderful idea. I bet they are just perfect for someone really getting into knitting or as a gift. It's a shame two have been stolen. Would it be viable to do it as an online business instead? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jules. Oh lord Online would involve technology and I'm rubbish at that sort of thing. A lady left a comment asking for one so I could manage that way but obviously not everybody wants to leave their email address open to view. Maybe I'll look into it. Maybe I should just put my email up - she says suddenly realising the obvious! As much as the image of a gangsta gran made me smile I can't afford for that to happen regularly so I'll have to monitor it. Xxx

      Delete
  2. I think it is a really good idea and I like the knitting patterns you chose to put in the boxes, nothing too complicated. Ideal as presents for someone.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan. Every project can be knitted up in a week and probably quicker if you felt that way inclined, plus they can be used. My favourite is the neck warmer, it knits up really soft and cosy. xx

      Delete
  3. Great,great idea. I managed a yarn store for 7 years, back in the day, and kits like this would sell like hotcakes! They are small items (the end product) so they would be reasonably priced, and would be suitable for all age groups and levels of expertise. I think the online thing is a great idea too! Do you have to worry about copyright on copying the patterns, or are they your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that was a lovely job Janice. Little wool shops used to be all over the place when I was small. I can remember one on the corner of my Nanna's street and one just a few streets away from that one. Not so many around now and none in Middleton that I know of.

      The neck warmer and scarf are mine and the baby blanket is a stitch I've been knitting for years - I think everybody I know who's had a baby has one of my blankets lol. The hat I got from a free knitting site but I made up the wrist warmers to go with it. The boy cardigan is from another free knitting site and the baby girl is my own pattern but based on the boy. xx

      Delete
  4. I love the idea and it makes a great gift for someone. The boxes look lovely When my friend found out she was to be a grandma for the first time I made her a little box with knotting pattern, needles and wool! Im not a knitter but I'm trying to knit a tea cosy for a friend, thank goodness her birthday I is in September! I really dislike theft. Tx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely gift Tania. I'd love to receive something like that and I've said to Mark if mine don't sell he has to buy me the neck warmer and scarf for Christmas!

      A tea cosy is one thing I've never made but there are some fabulous and fun patterns out there.

      For the price they're up at there's really no need to pinch them but I suppose you're always going to get somebody who'll just take what they want. xx

      Delete
  5. What a great idea - they look lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much MMC. I was really pleased with how they turned out and they look nice all together on the stand. xx

      Delete
  6. I am impressed! A great idea and packaged up so beautifully! I am sure they will do very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn. They are selling slowly but surely but I'm glad I don't need to make any money from them! They were fun to make and it's given me a good insight into how much effort is put into setting things up. xx

      Delete
  7. I am so glad you are saying this out loud on your blog! Such a brilliant idea, that I am not in the slightest bit surprised they have been a hit!

    Plus, you really know you've made it when someone pinches them! In a funny sort of way it's a compliment. Worth getting arrested for! But I really want it to be some old trouble making granny too!

    congratulations to you. You deserve oodles of success xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sadie :) Haha, yes maybe the fact two have been pinched says something. I just have visions of a grey haired granny getting back on the coach thinking "well that was a good days work". xx

      Delete
  8. Hateful thieving gits, grannies or not but can you imagine if you'd have been stopped at the door.... scuse me madam, come this way .......lol lol
    The kits are perfect for a gift. The wool is lovely and the patterns are so easy to follow and resize simply by using different yarns and needle sizes - more photos on my blog soooooon! We'll be calling you Suzanne Sugar next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if I'd got stopped Mark would have probably just walked on pretending to ignore me. You'd have had to go into the t-shirt printing business of "free the Middleton one".

      I love knitting with the wool and you're right, going up a needle size especially for the baby patterns seems to to work a treat for those big bouncing bambinos that take mama by surprise! xx

      Delete
  9. Wow! I'm so impressed with the knitting boxes, what a brilliant idea. Sorry to hear about the shoplifting - that's just not on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Veeknits. They were fun to do and I'm glad I've taken the plunge. It's 2 of the scarf boxes that have gone missing so I'm on the lookout for anybody wearing one although I'm not sure what I'd do if I spotted somebody :) xx

      Delete
  10. I would love if you sold these on line, I loved the little boys cardi.. And a thieving granny?? I can quite believe that as I helped at a jumble sale and I was warned to look out for women with big bags as they slipped stuff into them!! I was shocked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, I know a lot of people sell on line through social media but the only thing I do apart from the blog is instagram and although I'm sure setting something up is relatively easy for most people, I have a feeling that wouldn't be the case for me and my very limited tech knowledge :)

      Goodness, if they're stealing from a jumble sale there's no hope is there. Mind you the price of some things in charity shops these days is ridiculous so if it happened in those I probably wouldn't be as surprised. xx

      Delete
  11. This is a great idea and the boxes themselves look lovely! Sorry two got stolen, but hope you won't suffer anymore theft. Definitely sell on-line! Ask around to see if someone can help you set it up. Maybe a link on your blog or something. Good wishes for continued good sales. You might think of some Christmas-y items to put together for sale closer to the date - ornaments, perhaps, or scarves and hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. If it was anybody on a coach trip I can only pray they haven't booked another one. Maybe I'll think about selling them on-line in the future and the link on the blog is a good idea - I just didn't want it to become that sort of blog iykwim. I'll definitely be thinking of a couple of Christmas boxes to sell. xx

      Delete