Monday, 5 June 2017

Photo 6

Monday is my main housework day. I tend to let things go at the weekend, just pushing the hoover around and keeping on top of the kitchen, with a bit of washing and ironing thrown in for good measure. Oh and I swish the bathroom. Actually, when I think about it weekend is pretty much like every other day regarding housework.

Anyway, the house gets a good tidy up after the weekend and after a school holiday it gets a bit of extra TLC. I don't mind admitting that after cheerfully waving them off to school and college I like to eradicate any signs of my pesky kids who have upset my home loving equilibrium for days on end. 

So I thought I'd make a list of all the 'little jobs' that have been done today and which have no doubt been carried out in houses across the country. In years to come when this blog is discovered by humans who have robots doing all their work it should make interesting reading. A bit like that ad in the 70's where the robots laugh at us mashing spuds while they whip up their instant gloop. 

Anyway, today I have stripped and re-made 2 beds, turning the mattress of the single one.  I've swept all the bedroom floors and the bathroom floor and swished the loo and sink. All the doors have been wiped down and all the upstairs mirrors have been cleaned. The lounge has had a good going over and I've hoovered and swept and mopped the dining room and kitchen floor. I've shoved 3 loads of washing in - although maybe I shouldn't have been so enthusiastic as I'm now struggling to get it dry. 

I've wrapped 3 parcels and posted them, cleaned out a kitchen cupboard and paid a couple of bills, albeit from the comfort of my sofa.

Tea has been cooked, although Captain Birdseye should really get the credit for this, the dishwasher has been stacked and the kitchen has been wiped down, yet again.

Not bad for a peri-menopausal 50 year old with 2 stents. 

I'm now going to watch The Handmaid's Tale while stuffing myself with truffles. Is anybody else watching this or have any of you read the book? Amy's studying it in English Lit next term. 

Not a very inspiring photo but it sums up my day. Tomorrow will be much more interesting. 
xxx











10 comments:

  1. Your day reads very much like mine has been today. I just couldn't do what I needed to last week with Lily at home and other family visiting. The house has been gutted and shopping done. Ironing can wait until tomorrow. It's a good feeling to get on top of it again isn't it? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when they break up for holidays but I also love it when they go back as well. I like to be able to work through the house with nobody behind me messing it up again as I go. I can do the kitchen and then Amy will appear with 6 cups from her bedroom or I'll empty the wash basket and she'll appear with a load more from under her bed. You're right, it's a lovely feeling when it's done, just wish most of it didn't need to be repeated every day. xx

      Delete
  2. You have been busy. It never ends because it will all have to be done again next week!!! I just finished reading The Handmaid's Tail. For about the first 100 pages I thought it was quite slow and boring but it did get better the more I read. Even though the book was written in 1985 it begs for a book 2. Apparently Margaret Atwood is thinking about writing a second book. I've got the tv show recorded. I didn't want to start watching it until I had finished the book.
    Hope Thomas is feeling better and not had any more headaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Janice, it's a constant cycle of repeating chores. Some days I wake up and don't have the energy for anything so when my mojo is here I make the most of it.

      I've not read the book but I'm enjoying the TV programme. I'd never heard of it until it was advertised and Amy said she was reading it next term. The only book she's not been keen on so far is 1984 - not that she didn't enjoy it as such, but she said it was slow in some parts. I'm not keen on books like that and absolutely hate books where they take 3 pages to describe a tree!

      So far, so good with Thomas. No more headaches although I had to have a stern word yesterday because he didn't drink anything at school again. xx

      Delete
  3. Between the garden and the house the work never stops. I'm not as fanatical as I was so things slide from time to time. I'm recording the handmaids tail as a series to watch as I much prefer watching things in blocks, they make more sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are weeks when I seem to have no energy at all Tania, I'm not sure if that's my age or the HA so I tend to do as much as I can when I feel up to it, but yes, things can slide here as well.

      I know what you mean about recording things to watch all at once. When we do that our treat is to have 'just one more' before we go to bed or very occasionally a Saturday session of a whole series. xx

      Delete
  4. yeah, sounds like my day too!
    Today (Weds) I declared a Day Off, as the house is pretty tidy, I'm up to date with everything, I prepped dinner yesterday so that's in the fridge, and I thought I'd just blog and catch up on other blogs.

    But. I came home, did the washing, scooped Dud's loo, made the beds, done the ironing, tidied up, made packed lunches and cleaned the kitchen, and am about to wash the floors. So even days off end up with an awful lot of 'I'll just do' chores!
    xx

    p.s love that photo, Method products are gorge! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - even a lazy day off is still full of chores. Wednesday and Friday tend to be my free days. I've just got in from Bury, put everything I've bought away, hung some washing out, put another load of washing in, sorted tea, scooped the poop, picked a load of stuff up of Amy's floor that I can't stand looking at any longer (she's in for a right telling off when she gets home), and I've still got a bit of ironing to do. It's never ending. These days I make myself sit down otherwise life could so easily be all jobs. xx

      Delete
  5. You need to bottle your energy and send it across to me! I got tired just reading what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't it be great if you could buy bottles of energy. I think I'd work my way through quite a few over a year. There are weeks when I literally drag myself around doing the bare minimum, other weeks I'm up and at it, so I tend to make the most of them. xx

    ReplyDelete