Friday, 2 June 2017

Photo 2

Playing catch up with my daily photo project here. Photo 1 has been posted quickly followed by photo 2.

Aunty Edith and Ken paid us a visit in the week. They've never been to St Annes or Lytham before, their go to seaside jaunt has always been Cleveleys or Fleetwood where Aunty loves to sit looking at the sea while eating fish and chips.

For 93 years old she is remarkably sprightly and managed a good long walk along the prom and back again with just a couple of stops to watch the children on the boats and donkeys. 

While the men went off for fish and chips we sat on the bench chatting when completely out of the blue she told me something about herself that nobody else in the family younger than her knows about. It's certainly not a skeleton in the cupboard but it was sad. 

I don't know what made her tell me or why. It was a one liner and she moved the conversation on again straight away, but I like to think she said something because she'd like somebody to remember when she's gone. 


In a world where sharing everything is considered normal, I feel privileged she shared something with me from her world where things were handled quietly and with dignity. 


xxx



10 comments:

  1. that is sweet that she told you something about herself like that. She must think a lot of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known her 25 years and she's lovely. Her husband died maybe 30 years ago so I never knew him, but Mark adored him. She once gave me a tin and inside were the most beautiful love letters and cards he'd written to her. She let me read those but had never mentioned what she told me. I really do believe she wants somebody to remember. xx

      Delete
  2. Glad she felt comfortable enough to tell you something about herself. Can't say she's 93 looking at the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a privilege Bless. If I look as good as that at 93 I'll be happy. If I make it to 93 I'll be ecstatic. xx

      Delete
  3. How wonderful, as you say our elders lead their lives with privately and with dignity, unlike today when they can't wait to share their 'dirty washing'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a very dignified lady anyway Tania. There are things I'm glad we can talk about these days rather than having to bottle them up, but yes I agree, sometimes there's too much dirty washing hung out. xx

      Delete
  4. What an honor that she chose to tell you! I hope I'm as spry at 93!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel privileged she told me Janice. She looks wonderful doesn't she and so steady on her feet as well. She still has her hair done every week and goes to church. Ken drops her off but she walks back on her own. She's a star. xx

      Delete
  5. What an honour to be confided in x she does not look like a lady in her 90s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looks remarkable doesn't she Rachel. And not only does she look good she's still mobile, can walk quite far, does her own housework, still cooks for herself and Ken, has her hair done every week and goes to church. I can only hope I'm half as good as her if I get to that age. xx

      Delete