Sunday, 1 January 2017

Happy New Year!

2017!

As usual mine started with a grateful thought that 4 years to the day I'm still here to see another year in. In fact it's the first thing I've noted in my Thankful Diary.
It also started earlier than usual with this little monkey waking up at  7am although what a great way to start 2017 with a new member of the family.
Last night was a pretty quiet one although we did stay up to welcome in the New Year. Mum came down for a couple of hours which was nice and I did a bit of a buffet, although to be truthful we are all fed up of food now. In fact the noisiest part of the evening was when we pulled the party poppers, in the Xbox room with the door shut just in case they woke Sienna up! This is the first year Thomas has mastered this skill. I wonder if we all look like this when we pop them!
I've decided to take an index box with me into 2017. I know lots of people keep journals and bullet journals seems really popular, but they seem a bit all over the place for me, although I'm sure they make sense to the people using them. I'm a simple creature and wanted something that can be flicked through in a minute while adding and discarding thoughts, projects and ideas as quickly as they flit in and out of my mind. Of course I wanted it to be pretty so spent an hour fixing strips of sticky backed fabric to the top.
The week between Christmas and New Year has been a slow and easy one with lots of PJ days and reading. I love my new book Few Eggs and No Oranges. It's nearly 600 pages but already I wish it were twice as long. I shall never complain about lack of sleep again. Those poor people in London mustn't have got a decent nights kip throughout the whole of the war with the amount of bombs dropped and yet they carried on regardless with their lives. 
I didn't get anything crafty for Christmas so I bought a cross stitch from The Works which I've made a start on. There is something very relaxing about cross stitch. Maybe it's because it requires little thought; it's just a case of following the pattern and letting the teeny tiny stitches turn into something pretty. I think I might have to change the yellow flower to another colour because Sadie's husband asked if it was an egg and every time I look at it now that's all I can see :)
Me and Thomas have also spent a few hours playing this new game. If there's a skill element to it, it's evaded us so far. It seems to be a cross between noughts and crosses, boxes and those little puzzles where you have to move the tiles to make a picture. The idea is to end up with 4 coloured balls in the shape of a square which isn't as easy as it sounds. My balls were black and I'd won again, hence the look on his face. 
And so to my thoughts for 2017. Once again there are no resolutions being made but there's a bit of re-affirmation in some areas of my life.

Family - I'm very happy and content and it feels good to be able to say that. Changes are afoot with Amy and Thomas as they get older and their desire for independence grows. As a Mum I want to be able to give them their freedom while still keeping us all connected together. I hope that makes sense. I know what I mean, not sure if it's come across how it should. 

Home - the housework rota is working well so I want to continue with that. I also want to make our home a comfortable haven and as relaxed as possible for all of us. On the practical front there's a fair bit of decorating that needs doing this year. 

Health and Exercise - diet and exercise need looking at again - it is New Year after all :) Also regular BP checks are on the list, (I can do these), and of course no putting off my blood tests in future. I'm also aiming to get out and do a bit of walking every day. 

Finances - to try and keep track of my monthly spending. I start off fine but lose my way after a couple of weeks. 

Crafting - to continue crocheting and sewing which gives me pleasure and also helps others.

Hobbies - to make time for a new one in calligraphy, an old one in reading and to pick up with the jigsaws again. Cross stitch might feature more regularly as well. And of course, to continue to blog weekly.

Fun and Leisure - my beloved caravan will feature a lot under this heading and we've already booked holidays for this year. We're still members of the National Trust and I'd like to visit some more places. There is a theatre trip booked in February with Mum and Amy and this is something I'd like to indulge in more often. 

And I think that's it really. Nothing mind blowing, as I say just re-affirming what's important to me and what I'd like to do over the next few months. 

I went to a wedding years ago and the vicar said to the couple, "I'm not going to wish you endless days of sunshine, because without some rain you can't flourish" so I'm also taking that thought with me into 2017. Life is not always perfect. There will be good days and bad days but the older I get the quicker I'm able to get over the bad days because it really is a waste of my time dwelling on things. 

Anyway, I hope 2017 is a good one for all of you and that you all have enough sunshine and rain to keep you healthy and flourishing.

Happy New Year to All of You from Me, Mark, Amy and Thomas. 

xxx











35 comments:

  1. Happy and Healthy New Year wishes to you and your family. Some good thoughts being carried through to the New Year and I wish you all the success with goals. I like the idea of your little index cards and they look so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Serenata. Happy New year to you and yours as well. Hope it's a good one for you.

      Just felt the need to re-affirm what's important to me for this year. There are a couple that will fall by the wayside - keeping track of finances and exercise more than likely, but what's a resolution (even though I've not really made any), if it's not broken haha. xx

      Delete
  2. And so 2017 unfolds. A very happy New Year to you and yours from me and mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A whole new year ahead of us. No doubt by 31st December my 'clean page' will be covered lots of ink splodges where things didn't quite go to plan, but that's what makes it fun I suppose.

      A very Happy New Year to you and all your family as well. xx

      Delete
  3. Wishing a wonderful New Year to you and your lovely family Suzanne.
    It sounds like you have some good plans to follow-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a Happy New Year to you and yours Sheila. Hope it's a good one for all of you and that Andy is able to return to work soon. xx

      Delete
  4. Such a wonderful positive post..Thank you and I really need to know what that ball/square/moving things/game/puzzle is. It looks much more me that the nasty-plastic-thing-in-the-mouth game!
    Good luck with the calligraphy - a friend once went to evening classes for a whole term and still hadn't learned how to do more than her name!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I forgot to say - so pleased you are loving Few Eggs... It's one of the books I didn't want to have packed away so is on the shelves here.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sue, that's a lovely thing to say. Your game sounded good fun until I realised the plastic thing in the mouth was passed around - then it sort of made my tummy turn! The game is called 4 in a Box and cost £4 from The Works (last of the big spenders haha).

      As is often the case with hobbies there's more to them than meets the eye and calligraphy is no different. I had no idea there were so many styles. I'm going to pick 2 or 3 that I like and see how I get on but I bet I end up making my own style up.

      Few Eggs is brilliant. I don't think any of them have slept for more than 2 hours at a time yet and I'm already in 1941!

      I know it's not going to be an easy one for you all but I wish you, Col and all your family a Very Happy New Year. xx

      Delete
  5. Hello fellow caravanner and Happy2017 to you all. I usually do the Thomas face for those popper things too! Christmas decs were put away on Friday (don't let Rachel read this) and we are back to healthy eating today. We've booked for St Annes for the Food Festival in August and hipe nothing stops us going. Haven't booked anything else yet as we are off on a river cruise in June to celebrate having survived 45 years of marriage without manslaughter being involved. ( I mean of course I don't know how DH hasn't divorced me or worse poor thing) Have spent today looking out and prepping upcycled fabric for my various voluntary groups. Weather here today was fabulous so we went out for a brisk walk to blow away the cobwebs. I have worked out why my posts keep disappearing so hopefully this goes first time. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you both Catriona. Hope it's a good one for you. I think half the blogging world is hiding from Rachel regarding taking Christmas decs down lol.

      The Food Festival sounds good, will have to look into that, I think we are there the first 2 weeks of August but would have to double check. I've booked so many dates I'm already confused.

      45 years of marriage is certainly something to celebrate - just hope he's not planning to throw you overboard haha.

      No walking for me today as Sienna was here - any excuse - but I am definitely going out tomorrow. I prefer to walk around a park but that means driving to one which always seems a waste of time so it's just around the block for me. xx

      Delete
    2. You're the Christmas equivalent of the SAS Rachel. There's no hiding place for us anywhere! xx

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year, Suzette. Some good positive plans. I need to be more positive, but everything is up in the air at the moment, so can't really settle to plan anything. I have always wanted to do calligraphy, but it was one thing I never got around to do. I always wanted to learn to play the piano as well, but the same thing. Never mind.
    Two questions. One, where did you get the sticky backed fabric from as I've been thinking about the same thing. Not index cards nor a bullet journal, but something similar. Two, what is the wooden game called please? It looks interesting.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you and yours Joan :) Being positive on paper is all well and good, I just need to make sure I follow through, although my list is pretty much my daily life so it shouldn't be too hard - hopefully!

    I'm looking forward to having a go at calligraphy. I never realised there were quite so many styles so I'm going to have to pick 2 or 3 and take it from there.

    The fabric and the game both came from The Works. The fabric was £1.50 and I think they had 2 other packets with different designs. The game is called 4 In A box and cost £4. Both are well worth the money. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to you and yours. All my decorations and tree are still up. Will think about taking everything down in the next few days.
    It snowed all day yesterday-about 20cm. I just finished shovelling the driveway. OMG, there was a lot of it. That's my exercise for today!!! Fortunately the neighbours did the front sidewalk and Garry is out doing the back deck, patio, sidewalks etc.
    Youngest son and his family are coming over for dinner and then that is the end of the celebrating and things will get back to normal. Looking forward to it actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a Very Happy New Year to you and your family Janice. I hope it's a good one for all of you.

      Still no snow here, in fact today we have bright blue sky and sunshine but it's very cold, well for the UK, it's positively the Bahamas as far as you're concerned!

      Shovelling snow definitely counts as exercise. I'm psyching myself up to get wrapped up and go for a walk, but its' so warm in the house I'm struggling.

      Lunch with your son and his family sounds a good way to wrap up the festivities. Hope you all had a good time. xx

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Number 38ers x I love all these new planners diary systems but I'd spend so much time faffing with the pretties I'd not actually get round to doing any of the stuff I'd planned! Sounds like you've got 2017 all under control! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you and yours Rachel. Hope 2017 doesn't bring any unwanted blips for you this year. xx

      Some of the diaries I've seen that people keep are so pretty, they're like a hobby in themselves, lovely writing, colours and pretty stickers etc. I just need something that I can go to quickly and see what I'm supposed to be doing or more to the point, what I forgot to do haha.

      It's all under control on paper but in reality - well that's always a different story isn't it. xx

      Delete
  10. Just popping in to with you Happy New Year, Suzanne, may you and your family have a good 2017. I'm afraid at my great age I don't use planners, I just pop appointments onto the calendar on my computer. But any method which keeps a family on track, and let's face it, mums are usually the planners, well, that is a good thing.
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a Very Happy New Year to you, your husband and your family as well Margaret.

      The planners some people keep are works of art, they really are beautiful and I expect they give the owner lots of pleasure, but I need something quick and simple I can put my hands on. I have a family calendar in the kitchen and my filofax for daily appointments but the index cards will be great for all the other bits in my life.

      You're right, us Mums are generally the planners in houses and I dread to think where Number 38-ers' would be if I wasn't at the helm of this ship. Females are a fantastic species when you think about how much we can do. xx

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year!
    I love this post, and I love your outlook on life. And yes, the letting children fly whilst keeping them safe makes perfect sense.

    The first thankful thing on your list is perfect too. :O)

    Oh, sorry about Bill and the fried egg thing. He's a git like that, he really is!
    I did a bit of researching into this bullet journal thing, but I can't get on board. Pretty though it is, I cannot be faffed to start doodling and prettying up a diary. It's an achievement for me if I manage to write in mine, let alone making it all fancy with abbreviations for days etc. Years ago I may well have done one like it, but not now.

    Must away. We've been out pretty much all day and now I have to tidy the house a bit, and make a list. Tomorrow is Remove Christmas Day, and I will bake Bill's bd cake tomorrow too. He's asked that I don't do it today as we had such a large and splendid lunch!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a Very Happy New Year to yourself, Bill and Violet :) Getting the balance right can be hard at times with children can't it. I expect mistakes will be made and lessons learnt by us all. I always say my siblings got away with murder because I was such a goody two shoes when I was paving the way for them haha.

      The more I looked at the flower after Bill's comment the more I thought 'he's right it does look like an egg' so it's now got a pink centre. Don't apologise, men in general are like that aren't they - they say what they think then without bearing a grudge move on - I think us females should sometimes take a leaf out of their book.

      The bullet journals are wonderful to look at but the amount of time people must spend on then is more than I want to dedicate. I'm guessing it must be a hobby for them. As I said I'm a simple creature and writing 'buy milk' is fine for me, it doesn't have to be surrounded by flowers or stickers etc. I doubt very much any more index cards will have pretty sticky paper stuck on them either!

      I've been following your lunch out today on the gram. Looks like you all had a fabulous time and the setting is beautiful. Hope Bill enjoyed his day and very clever of him to ask for cake a day later when he's able to eat it. xx

      Delete
  12. p.s Thomas's face - corker! ha ha! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and I have an awful feeling I may well look like this as well! xx

      Delete
  13. Happy New Year to you and your family, Suzanne. I think being here to greet the New Year was my first gratitude of the year, too! I like all your New Year affirmations and the idea for the index cards. I think I might have to borrow that idea! Once again, all the best to you and yours in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless and A Very Happy New Year to you and your DD. Yes, when you've had a close call with the other side, still being here is definitely the first thing to be thankful for :)

      When I look at the list I feel so grateful for what I have and what I can do. It's good to have it down in black and white so I can keep looking back over it. xx

      Delete
  14. Hi Sue, Really love your blog, could you please update your profile Thank You Lin x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lin and welcome to Number 38. Glad you enjoy the blog. There's nothing much to update on the profile really. Still reading, baking, crocheting, quilting etc. But we have all grown older! I'm 50 this May and will have been married 22 years in June. Matthew is now 30, Amy is coming up for 17 and Thomas is 11. Oh and we've bought a caravan!

      Apart from that everything else is the same and just carries on as normal here. If I had to add anything new it would be that since starting this blog I've made some lovely friends. xx

      Delete
  15. Hi Thank you for reply. I find your blog very uplifting & funny you seem to really enjoy your lives. we had an elf on the shelf called Timothy however he was a well behaved one & spent all Xmas cuddling our 50year old Xmas pixie. Happy New Year to you all Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say Lin, thank you. And a Very Happy New Year to you and your family as well. There is always something going on here that's for sure! There will definitely be some ground rules laid down IF Christopher Elf is invited back again next year :) I wonder if he'll make it to 50 years old like your pixie. xx

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A removed comment always looks odd I think so just wanted to say Sue and I swapped contact details but then removed them from our blogs. Nothing offensive was written that I didn't like :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very Happy New Year to all at Number 38. I did read this post but forgot to comment. Oops!
    Your first entry in the Thankful Diary is spot on and this world is a much better place because of it, although we all have so much more to be thankful for than we realise.
    I have had a few 'health issues' lately so haven't posted in a while but I'm still reading.
    I hope Amy is feeling a little better. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a belated but sincere Happy New Year to you and your family as well Jules. What a lovely thing to say, thank you. You're right, it's easy to focus on the negatives and we can forget we have so much to be thankful for. Seeing my 'thankfuls' written down in black and white reiterates how lucky I actually am.

      So sorry to hear you've not been in the best of health. I hope it's nothing too serious and that you are looking after yourself, which is easier said than done when you have a little one, I know.

      Amy is much better. Just a few twinges here and there but the painkillers soon sort that out.

      Take care of yourself. xx

      Delete