Monday, 19 December 2016

On the 7th Day of Christmas....

..... our niece who is also our god-daughter turned 13 today so I went up to see her at Mums with her cards and birthday money. She's a lovely young lady and is a real credit to her Mum and Dad. She's the niece who gave me flute lessons earlier in the year although I have to confess I let the flute and the dancing lessons slip a few months ago when the caravan, quilting and crochet took over my life.

I popped into Middleton this morning for some silver stars. Last Christmas I prettied the dining chairs up a little bit and I thought I'd kept the ribbon and stars in the decorations box but couldn't find them so needed some more.

While I was looking back over my blog to see how I'd done the chairs I had a quick flick through my December posts last year to see what we'd got up to. There were a few things I'd completely forgotten about. Anybody remember the anagram/riddle card game I posted throughout December? There's also a great photo of Thomas having a donkey ride at the garden centre and a photo of some Christmas cushion covers I sewed. It made me a bit sad that even though last Christmas only seems like yesterday that I'd forgotten a lot of things. What it did reinforce though is because my memory is really poor I need to keep this blog going to remind myself of what we've done.

I forgot to take a photo of Christopher Elf this morning but last night he went swimming with little armbands on. I'd made him a diving board out of cocktail sticks and used embroidery thread to create swimming lanes. Miffed that I didn't take a photo but never mind. 

Tomorrow I am definitely going to make time to sit down with one of these tomorrow and a cup of tea. I think I must be the only person who hasn't had a mince pie yet. Don't feel sorry for me though, I've made up for it with plenty of chocolate and other cakes.
And Mark decreed today that there will be a talent contest at Number 38 on Christmas Eve. We have a maximum of 3 minutes each for our slot and there will be a £10 prize for the best turn. I've made a start on assembling the equipment I need to win! 
Not that I'm competitive of anything :)

xxx








9 comments:

  1. blimey, a talent show! You don't do things by half.

    That's the best thing about a blog, being able to go back and see what you've done. I love that. Your chairs looks so pretty.

    Shame you didn't get a pic of the rascally Elf, sounds like he's been a right little troublemaker again.

    Not to worry about your lack of mince pies, I think I've eaten more than enough to cover everyone this year. I really need to lay off them now.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't believe how much had slipped my memory, but as soon as I saw the photos it was like being transported right back to what was happening.

      I've eaten 4 mince pies today but they are only tiddlers - 2 mouthfuls and they're gone, honestly.

      Ah the talent show. It's the first one we've ever held so not sure whether it will become a Christmas Eve tradition or not. Depends on the standard of entries I suppose :) xx

      Delete
  2. I am very intrigued as to your talent contest entry. I really think you should get someone to film this event!
    As for the mince pie situation....eat them all!!! You've done without thus far lady? You deserve a lot more than one.
    The chairs look so pretty. I never have ideas like that myself. I may do something another year (when Lily is less likely to rip them off) but would need to make adjustments as we have two long benches at our table. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've changed my talent to something else already Jules! I took on board the permission you granted to me regarding the mince pies and have eaten 4 today - only little ones though.

      Mostly my 'ideas' are copied off the net, so I can't claim any real creativeness but I'd probably get 10/10 for copying :)

      Little ones are fun to have at Christmas but not if you want to do anything really fancy. I think that's why we have such madcap ideas, it all stems from accommodating children over the years and habits are hard to break. xx

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, a talent show, very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've changed my idea already. I want that £10 heehee. I'm expecting great things from Mark as he's instigated this but I have a sneaky suspicion he will go last and after watching us lot make fools or ourselves do nothing apart from pay up :) xx

      Delete
  4. The chairs look gorgeous. I always mean to do something with ours but just never get round to it for some reason.
    Very intrigued by your entry for the talent show.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was making a xylophone Sheila which actually sounded OK but I'm not convinced it was good enough to win so I'm doing something else now.

      I stumbled across the chair idea last year. I was sure I'd put the decs in the box but they're nowhere to be found. Never mind they're easy enough to knock up. xx

      Delete
  5. We don't have mince pies over here, so eat one (or two) for me, too! Your chairs look very festive with the ribbons and stars! I can only imagine what my cat would do if I tried something like that! A talent show sounds like a lot of fun! I hope you'll share some of the highlights with us. :)

    ReplyDelete