Wednesday, 21 December 2016

On the 5th Day of Christmas.....

.... Amy finished college. She got a text last night saying the last day had been brought forward to today, but as she only had one English Lit lesson and they were watching the film 1984 she didn't bother going in. So we are now all on holiday together which feels better. 

We went to see Joan this morning and took her cards and presents. She showed no interest in them at all until she opened a box of Toffifee and then she came alive, the little minx. Today she thought Mark was his cousin Ken and Thomas was Mark. Usually she thinks Mark is  her husband, Tom. No wonder she gives me some looks when I visit. She's probably wondering what I'm doing with her hubby!
As it's one of the few times over the holiday where we'll actually all be up, dressed and ready to go out at the same time we decided to go for lunch afterwards. I had a poached salmon sandwich and a bottle of prosecco; after all, it is the season to be jolly.
We'd gone to Housing Units so after lunch we had a look around the store. We were only here a couple of weeks ago with Sienna and Christmas was in full flow, but already it seems to be over in retail. All the displays bar one had been cleared and pretty much everything was half price. There was loads of stuff left, so I might go down in the New Year and see if more reductions have been made. 
I started to watch Midsomer Murders this afternoon but couldn't get into it so decided to be more productive and clean the bedrooms instead. Well, a quick wipe down, bedding changed and floors swept constitutes cleaning this week. That's one of the best things about Christmas decs, I don't do any dusting until they're put away. 

Christopher Elf stole my wrapping paper last night and wrapped the kitchen cupboards up. Tonight I'm bringing Amy on board to help me out with his naughtiness. 
He's leaving us Friday night and I can't say I'll be sorry to see him go. 

xxx

13 comments:

  1. You're so right, tinsel hides the dust rather well!

    Enjoy the holiday now you're all off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! It'd be great if tinsel became the new decor of 2017. I wonder if I could start a trend. Xx

      Delete
  2. You should get elf to do the dusting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I never thought of that although come to think of it, I am the Elf, so I'd still end up doing it. Best to stick to the original plan and leave it til the decs have gone :) xx

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to Friday night when Roz finishes work. We are going to spend Saturday prepping all the veg ready for Christmas Day when The Doodle family are coming round for lunch. I love it when we are all together.
    We've just been in Tesco and all the kids Christmas clothes are reduced to half price. Nothing else at the moment though-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the nice things about school and work is finishing. That feeling of walking out the door to the start of a holiday is lovely. Mum is coming to stay tonight until Christmas Day and it'll be nice to have her company and help. We do all our prepping on Christmas Eve as well.

      It's lovely all being together isn't it. These days I'm not keen on going out on Christmas Day so I'd rather host than be a guest, but we used to take turns with my brother when the children were little which was nice. xx

      Delete
  4. I think Christopher Elf has been quite the naughty lad. I think I would be glad to see him leave too, little stinker! It is sad when dementia hits and they forget who is who. My mum in law frequently used to introduce me to her son, my husband, bless her. At least I knew she liked me as she kept trying to get us hitched up. We stopped telling her we were married as it only confused her. Have really enjoyed reading your build up to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a little stinker Maureen. If, and it's a big if, he gets invited back next year there will have to be some ground rules laid down :)

      It is sad when they don't recognise you but it can be funny as well and in these situations it does well to have a sense of humour. How lovely that your MIL likes you enough to want her son to marry you. Bless her. I got on really well with Joan but even in the photo above with Thomas she's giving me a look. I don't think she has a clue who I am bless her. xx

      Delete
  5. I think Christopher Elf has been quite the naughty lad. I think I would be glad to see him leave too, little stinker! It is sad when dementia hits and they forget who is who. My mum in law frequently used to introduce me to her son, my husband, bless her. At least I knew she liked me as she kept trying to get us hitched up. We stopped telling her we were married as it only confused her. Have really enjoyed reading your build up to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry I didn't visit yesterday, I took myself off to bed early. I did get out though, went and did the festive food shop at Asda. Surprisingly quiet, and I saw Father Christmas at the turkeys. not even joking. I have the receipt!

    Good to see you having the prosecco, then laughed when I saw the teeniness of it!
    Hurrah for you all being off for Christmas now. Not long to go. And yes, I bet you'll be glad to get rid of that Elf. Look at him using up all your paper, the scoundrel!

    Thanks for the email, have started cobbling a reply, but have yet to finish and send.

    Sales before Christmas depress me. Takes me back to when I worked in shops and had to set it up on Christmas Eve, used to really spoil Christmas for me. I think that's why I'm not one for sales shopping on Boxing Day.

    I must away. Hope you have a lovely Thursday before Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're feeling back to normal today. Shopping done and dusted here as well including the turkey so I'm now at the 'bring it on' stage.

      It might have been a teeny bottle of plonk but the 2 glasses I got out of it went straight to my head and I didn't feel right til the evening. I'm rubbish at drinking these days which is a shame as I quite enjoy a tipple every now and then.

      Oh that Elf has been very naughty to Thomas today. There will have to be rules agreed to next year before he comes back.

      I feel sorry for retail staff. Very little time off and always one season ahead of themselves in life. I wouldn't like to do it. Never been one for Boxing Day sales but then you know how much I don't like shopping anyway.

      Off out tonight with my brother which we're looking forward to. Early start will hopefully mean a not too late finish. I have no stamina these days! xx

      Delete
  7. Aw, he gift wrapped your kitchen for you! How sweet of him!

    My mother had the beginnings of dementia; there were times when she didn't know who I was. That was very hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark wasn't impressed. He couldn't get in the cupboards for a couple of things and because he didn't want to ruin it had to wait for Thomas to wake up. Problem was he gets up about 5.30am and Thomas doesn't surface until quite late haha.

      Dementia is cruel isn't it. It doesn't bother Mark but I find it intriguing that she doesn't seem to know who he is but recalls the names of all his other relatives and thinks he's them. xx

      Delete