Monday, 12 December 2016

On the 14th Day of Christmas....

.... life carried on pretty much as normal at Number 38.

I'll try to add something Christmassy every day but I expect my daily ramblings will be mostly about the usual things that go on here, warts and all. And Christopher Elf is certainly one of those warts at the moment. We woke up this morning to find him bungee jumping into the kitchen sink. Of course Thomas couldn't resist pulling the elastics to make him bounce and of course the pulls became harder and harder until the drawing pin came out of the ceiling and he ended up falling into the water. He's on the radiator drying out at the moment. Serves him right.
Yesterday I cleared out some things in the Xbox room to make way for what's coming, although thankfully this year it's not too much. I took this lot down to the charity shop this morning. It might come in useful for somebody at this time of year. 
While I was there I replenished our completely depleted chocolate stash. Hopefully the quality street caramels will mean more chewing and less consumption goes on this week.
Amy has wrapped all her presents and popped them under the tree and I'm going to do the same as it makes the tree look like one in a magazine! Amy and Thomas' gifts will be left until Christmas Eve though, just to build up a bit of excitement.
Thomas is on his last week of school countdown. Reading a couple of blogs he seems to be finishing early, but I bet the teachers would rather have the time before than after so they can get organised, especially if they have children. At the other end of the spectrum Amy doesn't finish until 22nd December which seems really late. Think cheeky Christopher Elf is rubbing off on him!
I'm off out with my friends tonight for our 'Christmas Do'. We usually go when they've finished work but today is the only time that suits us all. It's an early start at 4.30pm so I'll be off to get ready in a while.

I'll be back tomorrow - with Sienna, although she's only coming for the day while Sophie gets some work done in the house. I'm really looking forward to having her. She's coming at 10.30am and we'll take her home at 7pm. Compared to how long she usually stays it'll be a doddle. 

See you then. 

Edited to add - no idea where I'm up to with these days. Should I have started at the 1st Day of Christmas or should I be working my way from 14 to 1. It's a conundrum for me. 

xxx

16 comments:

  1. Poor Christopher Elf. I hope he's thoroughly dry by now. Don't speak about chocolate consumption. This time of year it is in plentiful supply and with no self restraint it can be dangerous for me.
    Your tree looks lovely with the gifts underneath. I always feel they look a little sad on Christmas morning once the gifts are all gone. I couldn't chance leaving any under my tree yet though!
    Schools finish this week here too. Have a wonderful evening out Suzanne. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with chocolate is 'just one' is never enough. I've put the tins upstairs in the wardrobe because we're both too lazy to go up and get any more so even though the dishful always gets eaten it never gets re-filled until the day after.

      We never used to put presents under the tree either but I do like how it looks with gifts underneath it.

      I hope Lily is enjoying her run up to Christmas at pre-school. You're right, it can be a very overwhelming time especially for quieter children and as much as we love seeing them doing their Nativity etc. it's a big ask for them to stand in front of everybody and perform. I hated doing anything like that when I was at school. xx

      Delete
  2. Doesn't matter which way round you do it. It's lovely to see a post from you every day.
    Andy has bought so much chocolate this year it's beyond a joke. I could open a sweet shop. Luckily there is only one box I really like and that's the Thorntons Mint Selection....oh yum.....can't wait to get me choppers round them....lol-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila :) I'd quite happily wait a bit longer before I put any goodies out but if Mark knows they're in the house then he has to eat them.

      I got my turkish delight down yesterday and had a piece of that before I went out. Nobody else likes it so when it's all gone I can't even blame it on anybody else - it's just piggy Suzanne who will have to admit she's eaten it all. Enjoy your mint selection. xx

      Delete
  3. What a naughty elf!
    And I can tell you that time off before Christmas is a luxury for teachers... but so necessary! My kids don't finish til next 22nd, which is too close. I rather prefer the early finish and a decent 2 weeks off. I should have stayed working in a private school, I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly is naughty at times!

      I think teachers deserve a week off before Christmas to sort themselves out and mentally and physically wind down from everything they do at school. It's a hectic time of year for them trying to fit in everything we parents like to see happening. Nativity, calendars, Christmas cards, parties, panto trips etc.

      Yes, the 22nd seems really late to me as well. Amy will only have 2 days off before Christmas Day but then has to hang around at home until 9th January, bored and under my feet!

      Hope all is well with the family and business is booming :) xx

      Delete
  4. ha ha, serves the rotten Elf right!

    I think we've got through 5 tins of Quality street. When I saw 'we' I mean Bill and Violet, who chomp through them at super speed. We always have bon bon dishes in the living room (my mum finds the whole bon bon dish thing hilarious, I don't know why), but I extended that to Bill's den. I fill the dish up in there daily. Daily! But I love to have little dishes of chocs about, makes me feel grown up!

    The 22nd seems so late. I agree that teachers would prefer time off before Christmas too.
    Enjoy your night out. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see it coming Sadie so when he fell in it was no surprise. Flipping heck 5 tins - that's some going. Mind you the size of the tins ain't what they used to be. When I was a nipper we could use them as paddling pools afterwards!

      I know exactly what you mean about chocolates making you feel grown up. I used to love getting a box of choccies when I was in my teens and I can clearly remember when I left home my first breakfast was chocolate digestives because no way would Mum ever have allowed that haha.

      Yes, a big vote for teachers having time off before Christmas. Finishing on the 22nd is nearly as bad as working in retail. They get no time off at all, although our Lidl lady told us they are closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day which she was pleased about. xx

      Delete
  5. It is just too tempting when the chocolates are lying around. I haven't bought any yet - I'm making them wait until closer to Christmas. Basically they are having to do without because of my own lack of restraint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe I should have put my foot down and left buying them til a bit nearer the time, but they're in the house now and disappearing at a right old rate of knots. Mind you if you can't indulge at Christmas when can you - that's my get out clause anyway :) xx

      Delete
  6. Oh, my! Bungee jumping into the kitchen sink! I love it!

    Your tree looks very festive with all the gifts under it. Someone took a lot of care, too, to wrap the gifts so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thomas' face was a picture when he pulled him so hard he bounced out of the ceiling. A look of shock quickly followed by uncontrollable laughter.

      Amy seems to enjoy wrapping presents, I need to remember that next year, maybe I could delegate some to her. xx

      Delete
  7. The elf photo made me laugh! I too have started putting a few ( carefully co ordinated ) presents out early too. Looks lovely.
    Last year we finished earlier which was great and Christmas definitely felt more relaxed but the return on the 2nd Jan was BRUTAL!! This year I'm getting itchy teeth thinking about what I could be doing instead of being at work but the return on the NINTH which is practically SPRING soundsbloody miles away! Cannot wait! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing here at your carefully co-ordinated presents. I used to do that sort of thing and woe betide a rogue bow that didn't match the ribbon. These days I'm a bit more laid back, but my inner OCD self is still there waiting to re-surface when Amy and Thomas have left home.

      Know what you mean about the quick return after NY. Thomas goes back on 3rd, I think they should have done a Thursday return, not so much for the kids but for the teachers, and lost a couple of days elsewhere - like in the long summer hols.

      Amy is back on the 9th as well, which means for a total of 24 days I won't have the house to myself! xx

      Delete
  8. To be honest, you'll probably not see much of her!! All that sleeping she can do! Poor Thomas having to go back so soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, as the days go on she gets up later and later. I think she's a natural night owl like me. xx

      Delete