Sunday, 11 December 2016

December - Week 2

On Sunday we took Sienna to Housing Units to look at the Christmas Decs. It was all very festive and everything was beautifully displayed but when I see things for sale at inflated prices that I've seen elsewhere I tend to get put off buying anything at all.
She was still with us Monday so we took her to see Joan then carried on to the garden centre to show her some more twinkles and pets corner. We'd told her she'd been to the zoo! When she's a bit older we will take her to the Disney store, combine it with a 50p ride and tell her she's been to Disneyland :)
Christmas has arrived at Number 38 and the tree is now up. I've pushed the boat out this year and bought some new gold baubles. Apart from that everything else is pretty much the same. 
Setting up The Nativity is always a favourite part for me. 
And this year I've tried to bring a little bit of the outside into the house. I'm still on the lookout for holly and mistletoe. 
Must admit I was sorely tempted to buy a real tree this year but resisted. The thought of all those pine needles in the car put me off. 
I picked up the Radio Times from Lidl and have circled all the programmes I want to watch. Call the Midwife is always the first programme I look for and the Christmas Day episode heralds the start of a new series. Other programmes circled are A Muppet's Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, Ethel and Ernest and Last Tango in Halifax. I don't watch any soaps and reading the blurb for EastEnders at the bottom of the photo reminds me why.
The new gold plate is filled with chocolates. We are all piggies where chocolate is concerned so the rule is a couple of handfuls get put out every evening but when they're gone, they're gone. This is one job Mark is quite happy to do, probably because his hands are a lot bigger than mine. 
Christopher Elf continues to be naughty and is skating on thin ice. This week there has been some ketchup squirting going on. 
Some snowman and igloo building.
A cheeky photocopy of his bottom.
And he built a rather freaky looking snowman while we were asleep. 
It's been a busy week but it hasn't felt particularly productive although I've enjoyed what I've done.  

I went shopping with Mum on Tuesday and met my friend for lunch on Wednesday which meant as well as having Sienna Sunday and Monday there wasn't much done for 4 days and I suddenly felt behind with housework and plans. It doesn't help that school finishes next week so I feel as though Christmas is only 7 days away when there's actually another 2 weeks to go. In a bid to get some perspective I rifled the bookshelf for this advent book and calm has been restored.
I've also managed to get a few things done the past couple of days so I'm feeling more organised again especially as all the presents have been bought and wrapped which is a big weight off my mind. Not sure if I've already shown you these bath bombs I bought at St Anne's but they deserve a second photo for cuteness.
I spotted this lovely little book when I was in Middleton and picked one up for me and one for Amy's stocking. There's always something to be thankful for don't you think and my first entry may well be 'finding this for only £2'.
Yesterday I made some festive buns, popped a plate of sandwiches and some fruit on the table with a few other bits and pieces and we had a 'help yourself' tea mainly because me and Mark were having a marathon session watching 'The Tudors' and I didn't want to stop and cook. It went down a treat and when Thomas saw what was on offer said "ooh a party"!
I've decided tomorrow seems a good time to start my daily blogging so my 12 Days of Christmas will become 14 Days of Christmas, but I'm sure nobody is counting. 

So until tomorrow.

xxx




22 comments:

  1. Daily blogging - good news
    Now off to see what that book is...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue :) The book is just a reminder of what Christmas is all about and is a good little read especially when it all gets too much! xx

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to reading your daily blog posts again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nanny Anny. What's the betting I do nothing remotely newsworthy for the next two weeks - although that never stopped me from waffling on in the past :) xx

      Delete
  3. It's all looking very festive over at yours Suzanne. It's getting a bit that way here too.
    I love Siennas face in the top photographs. She doesn't look terribly impressed.
    I have so enjoyed seeing your elf photographs on instagram. They've really made me chuckle.
    I'm looking forward to your daily posts now. 🎄 X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'd just woken up and was looking at Mark, but to be honest Jules we have to work really hard to get a smile or a laugh out of her. She looks as us as though we're stupid and I'm sure her first words will be "I am not amused".

      Glad you're enjoying the Elf, he's very naughty but fun to have around. I'm not sure I could do it again next year though. There's only so many things an elf can get up to. xx

      Delete
  4. Blimey, that elf's a bit of a rascal, isn't he? I've been doing the same with the RT and a highlighter (looking forward to some Agatha Christie and Maigret). No gift wrapping done here, yet. Still buying! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a little monkey that's for sure. I forgot to do him last night and just left him sat on the radiator. When I came down this morning Mark and Thomas said "we can't figure out what Christopher is doing today". Er, that would be nothing haha.

      As soon as the last present is bought I can literally feel the weight off my shoulders and when they're all wrapped I'm walking on air!

      I wonder how many households are going through the RT circling all their favourite programmes. It's something my Nanna used to do so it must be in my genes. xx

      Delete
  5. I love thlove idea of the thankful diary and that certainly is a naughty elf you have xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The diary is a lovely idea isn't it. It's not dated so I could start it any time but I think I'll wait until the New Year. Christopher is on borrowed time if he causes any more mess! xx

      Delete
  6. DDIL took Marlowe to Christmas Messy Play. She had a whale of a time.
    Just love the look on Siennas' face. Little sweetheart.
    That Elf is just cracking me up. I wish Ruby visited every day and then I could do that next year. Hubby would think I'd lost the plot if I did it in house of three adults but I'd have an excuse if Ruby was here....lol.
    Looking forward to your daily post.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet she did. Can't wait to do things like that with Sienna. We have a lovely little library near us and they do crafts and story time etc. so I'm hoping when we have her on Thursdays something will be on that we can go to.

      Oh the Elf is a little terror, I bet Ruby would love him. Maybe he could visit once a week when she comes for tea. Mark thinks I'm mad with the things I do, but Saturday evening I forgot to 'do' Christopher and just left him sat on the radiator. When I got up the first thing he said to me was "me and Thomas can't figure out what Christopher is doing today". Well, that's because he wasn't doing anything, but it made me laugh that Mark has obviously got sucked into what he's up to :) xx

      Delete
  7. I think it's the look on her face that is the cutest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, we can dance, sing and make total fools of ourselves and she just looks at you as though you're stupid. She's very hard to get a smile out of which makes them all the more precious when she gives you one. I'm sure she's related to Queen Victoria. xx

      Delete
  8. That elf of yours has me laughing so hard! I love the thankful diaries and the tea you served. Definitely a party! Looking forward to your daily posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very naughty and some of the things are so bad I can't even post them! Thomas made me laugh. When I was young we used to have a tea like that every weekend but obviously it's a rare occurrence here. I should rectify that and do it more often. xx

      Delete
  9. Your house is looking very festive and it looks like you're way ahead of me. I just got the tree up today but I still have all the other stuff to put out yet. Hopefully it will all get done in the next few days. Almost finished the present shopping and then will start the wrapping. The weather has been horrible here. It's been bitterly cold for the last 10 days, minus 30 degrees and a wind along with it. Haven't been doing much shopping because of is but it's supposed to warm up to minus 13 this week-just like summer,ha ha. We wish!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief Janice, nothing would get bought here if it was -30. I'd be in a permanent state of hibernation wrapped up in my dressing gown on the couch. Plus home schooling would definitely have to be considered!

      I have no idea why but the few bits I've got up have taken all weekend to sort out. We've done it in fits and starts in between watching The Tudors. I still have to find somewhere to put my 3 Kings, they're just plonked on the coffee table at the moment.

      Hope the weather stays at a warm -13 for you. Make sure you slap the sunscreen on! xx

      Delete
  10. Sienna's face is brilliant. She's thinking 'Zoo? do they think I believe that? I'll watch out for the Disney scam next!' You've been rumbled!

    Hurrah to daily blogging. Love it when you write daily. Your home is looking so festive and lovely.

    Love those bath bombs! I can't believe school finishes for Thomas this week, Violet's school are still going until the 20th, which seems a bit harsh.

    I saw some mistletoe in Waitrose yesterday. I was tempted until I saw it was £3.50. So I held it up, kissed Violet on top of the head as she stood beneath it, and put it back! I love it, but am not paying that much for it. It'll just dry out and the berries will fall off.

    Time to get up and start the day. Have a lovely start to the week.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, there'll be no pulling the wool over her eyes, she looks at us as though we're stupid at times.

      The bath bombs are sweet aren't they and they smell lovely. Yes, Thomas does seem to be finishing early but I bet the teachers would rather have the time before so they can get organised, especially if they have children.

      Ah, this mistletoe and holly has become an obsession of mine. I think I will have to let it go but once I've got something in mind I find that hard to do. There's a holly bush near where we live so I keep toying with the idea of going out and snipping some off that, but I'm not sure. I'd hate to spend Christmas in prison because there's some draconian bylaw regarding holly preservation haha. xx

      Delete
  11. The bath bombs look good enough to eat! Eeeeee I love a buffet tea ( pronounced buffee not buffaye ). However, if there was a 'spread' put out at a Wedding ( my Nanna's word ), my Grandad would always declare how he loved a good Buffette. I'm with Sadie and think Sienna has twigged and think you Disney shop routine will be rumbled! X Highlight of this post? Mark wondering what the elf has been up to!!! Cracked me up it did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes a buffy tea with 'volly vonts' is a favourite childhood memory because it always meant party time. Spread is another good word. There's something about wakes as well isn't there, whether he was buried with ham or beef?

      Maybe the Disney Shop won't work with Sienna so I might have to try Blackpool Pleasure Beach instead!

      I know! It made me laugh as well. Christopher has taken on a life of his own even with the adults. xx



      Delete