Sunday, 23 October 2016

October - Week 3

The week started with another physio session for Thomas. This time he spent 45 minutes on his tip-toes; walking on his toes, jumping up and down on his toes, balancing on his toes, walking up stairs on his toes, you name it, he did it on his toes. You can tell by his face that it hurts and a couple of times I had to look away when his baby blues pleaded with me. Not that the physio is a monster, he's very nice, but it's definitely a case of being cruel to be kind. The problem is getting Thomas to do the exercises at home. It doesn't help that I'm a big softy either, so Mark has to take charge - of both of us!
I didn't think his request for  gingerbread man/cat was too much to ask after the session and we sat in the car for 15 minutes while he enjoyed his treat, then it was back to school.
We went to Manchester this week to an art gallery. We'd been invited to a VIP event which means you get a glass of champers, nibbles and a sneaky preview of an exhibition, obviously in the hopes you're going to part with some cash. We couldn't make the date so we went on Tuesday instead. There was no VIP treatment although we did get a coffee and a private viewing and I did part with some cash. I can't show you what I've bought as they won't release it yet so I had to come home empty handed. While we were there we nipped into Annies for breakfast, my favourite new place to eat.
The week flowed pretty much as it usually does from then on. Look away now if you're not ready for Christmas Chatter. As well as buying myself some hand cream and a couple of balls of wool from Bury, I also bought candy canes and a Christmas cross stitch. I've written lots of lists this week and I'm feeling pretty organised, on paper at least.
I've also gathered all the crochet up and washed it ready to send off to Knit For Peace. This package will have 2 baby cardigans, 1 blanket, 1 poncho, 1 bunny rabbit cuddle blanket and 3 dolly cuddle blankets in it.

These are the dolly cuddle blankets. I've made them using the heads I crocheted a couple of weeks ago. I decided against the spiral dolls for the time being because although they're easy they're a bit fiddly and time consuming to sew up and I need to clear my wardrobes of all the crochet to make room for Christmas stuff (sorry, there's that word again), so a quick granny square and a tube for arms seemed a better option.

I've also carried on with the sorting out and took this pile of stuff to the charity shop. 

I'm in 'thinking ahead' mode at the moment so bought Pumpkins and a couple of candles from Lidl for Halloween. The pumpkins were a bargain at 79p each and I bought Amy and Thomas one each so there'll be no arguments on the creative front!
 I've also bought fireworks for Bonfire night and I'm in the throes of organising Thomas' birthday party.
At the moment we are in our van having a few days away for half term. We managed to find somewhere near Lytham so once again I'm a happy caravanner and so are Amy and Thomas. They spent ages in the park yesterday afternoon whizzing down the zip wire. 
And pushing each other on this swing. I have a cracking little video of Thomas but I can't post it because wifi isn't brilliant but I'll pop it on the blog in the week. 
And that's been my week really. Nothing too much out of the ordinary. Housework, crochet, children, Bury, shopping with Mum - it's all pretty much the same week in, week out, but it's what 'life at number 38' is like and as far as I'm concerned it's all pretty good stuff :)

xxx 








16 comments:

  1. It all sounds idyllic so don't apologise!
    We still have a week to go at school before half term! Although I say 'we' being off on special leave I'm not in. But should be back later on this week.
    You've got some gorgeous weather - I thought about you as I pulled on my 3/4 leggings this morning - - not ready for full length!!! In fact, I just flip flopped my way to the shop n back sans cardigan the sun is so warm!
    Happy holidays Mrs x and well done Thomas
    All that toe work must kill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half terms are all over the place again it would seem! I'm glad you're able to take time off to look after HG.

      I've had the 3/4's on as well and came home in my flip flops :) The weather has been perfect for caravanning ie not wet.

      Don't rush back to school before you have to! I'm sure you could do with a rest after all you've been through lately. xx

      Delete
  2. I think a gingerbread something-or-other is a must after all that hard work.

    We can't really ask for better weather at the moment can we? It's be beautifully sunny again today, I think it's going to be a busy half term around these parts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lovely few days over 'at yours'. In fact I'm hard pressed to think of a time when the weather hasn't been kind to us, one of the reasons we keep returning I think.

      We drove over to Cleveleys yesterday expecting it to be really quiet but it wasn't. I really wanted to look in the Candleberry shop I spotted last time I was in St Annes but it was closed on Sunday when we were strolling around so will have to save that for next time. xx

      Delete
  3. ah, lovely. A lovely week of pottering and doing. I'm of the opinion that a quiet week is a happy week, drama is much too overrated :O)

    glad Thomas got a treat post Physio. Well deserved. Love your crochet work, you really get tons done!

    Hope you are having a lovely time in the van. It's pretty chilly here, blustery, the odd shower, but quite grey and cloudy at times. You know I'm loving it! ;O) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the older I get the less drama I desire that's for sure :) The crochet is all ready to be posted and apart from a couple of dolls I'm trying to curb my crafting for the time being. I need the space for Christmas!

      It was lovely at the van, thank you. Sunny, clear blue skies, chilly but not freezing and dry - perfect weather for caravanning. Glad you are getting your quota of rain although I suspect it's not half as much as you would really like!

      Have a lovely half term with Violet. xx

      Delete
  4. I feel for Thomas. I had to do similar exercises post broken ankle. Not fun, but short term pain for long term gain and all that! You've been busy with your crochet, the dolls are really cute. I'm taking it easy today as I did a craft show yesterday so the feet, leg and back would like a rest today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had physio but I'm told it can really hurt. It looks a very fine balance between pushing yourself and hurting yourself although I'm sure the physio's know what they are doing.

      A craft fair - how exciting. I hope you did well and enjoyed yourself.xx

      Delete
  5. Glad you are able to get away and enjoy half term. Hope the weather stays somewhat decent for you. Physio can be hard and painful. I had it before I had surgery on my ankle (didn't end up helping too much hence the surgery). Some days I was almost crying when I left.

    Very pretty crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sharon, we had a lovely time at the van thank you. Yes, I've been told physio isn't easy and can be painful, I'm just hoping the pain he has to go through now will mean less for him in the future. Just wish one of the professionals had agreed with me that his foot wasn't right and referred him sooner. At least he's having it now though and the guy doing it is really good with him. xx

      Delete
  6. Thomas deserved that ginger cat. I hope he enjoyed it.
    I am desperate to get going on my Christmas shopping but I will be housebound with hubby for another week until he goes back to the hospital and then I am not sure what happens after that.
    I love the dolly blankets.
    Have a great time at the caravan-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He thoroughly enjoyed his ginger cat, especially as it meant an extra 15 minutes off school. It was actually break time but don't tell him that!

      It's frustrating not being able to get out and about isn't it. I keep writing lists of what I need and I'll try to cross a few things off when I go shopping with Mum every week.

      Hope hubby is doing well. I'll be popping over to visit you tomorrow to catch up with your news. xx

      Delete
  7. I've missed something somewhere along the line ... what is Thomas's problem? He looks such a jolly, happy fellow, but obviously he needs physio for some problem.
    Lovely photos as always!
    Margaret {

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret. Thomas broke his leg when he was three and when they took the plaster off his foot was turned out at an angle and he walked with a slight limp which has got worse over the years, (think of him walking 10 past 12). I took him back to the GP a couple of times who said it was fine and I also asked for a referral back to the hospital who also said it was OK. It obviously wasn't. This year his hip, knee and ankle have been causing him a lot of pain so I took him to the GP again. This time I was told his leg was 2cm longer than the other. We were referred to an orthopaedic consultant who then referred him to physio. Obviously there's nothing to be done for the leg length difference apart from a heel lift but the physio thinks he might be able to train him to walk a bit better and alleviate the pain he's pretty much got used to living with. It's pretty tough going for him though poor thing. xx

      Delete
  8. My dear girl, what a dreadful time for you all and for Thomas. All because of how the plaster was perhaps applied in the first place. Yes, he's had a pretty tough time and you have too. Hugs all round.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just proves mums know their children better than anybody else doesn't it. At least we're on the right track now. I'm afraid I'm not one of those people who worships the ground the medical professionals walk on. In my experience for every good nurse/GP/consultant there are more who are lazy and don't come up to scratch. xx

      Delete