Monday, 8 August 2016

Project Poncho

Sometimes an idea just pops in my head and I think, I'll have a go at that, which is basically what happened with the poncho. 

There are loads of poncho patterns out there but after trying and failing several times to follow a 'basic crochet pattern for beginners' I gave up. I can crochet row after row no problem, but crocheting round and round completely foxed me. Then quite by chance I came across a picture of how to join a poncho together, which basically showed two rectangles folded in a certain way.

After making a template out of grease proof paper and folding it as directed, I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work and set to.

Going off the template I cast on 30 stitches and worked 40 rows of half double crochet. Then I did exactly the same again, ending up with 2 rectangles. The colours were done in the same order, I've just photographed one of the rectangles upside down. 
The magic bit then comes with the joining and folding. First you join the 2 pieces together to make an 'L' shape.
Then you fold the bottom over to the edge of the other rectangle. There's nothing to sew here, it's just so you can line the next part up.
Which is bringing down the top to meet the edge of the folded over piece. This seam needs to be sewn. 
Give it a little turn and hey presto it's looking like a poncho.
I usually crochet my ends in as I go, no idea why I didn't do that this time, but sewing them in took ages and was very tedious. After I'd done that boring job, I crocheted a border around the neck and a scallop border around the edges, to end up with this.
There's plenty of give at the opening and it would easily go over a child's head. At a guess I'd say it would be suitable for a 2 year old. It just needs a wash and a light press and it's done.

Have to say I'm rather proud of this, so much so that there's another one on the go already. 

xxx


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks MMC. The were lovely to work with. Very easy on the eye. I've started another in brighter colours. Think I might need to get the sunglasses out! xx

      Delete
  2. Your poncho is very clever indeed and so, so pretty.
    I remember having a crocheted poncho when I was young....orange, brown and yellow and I hated it. I'd would have loved it if it had been in your colours-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is clever isn't it, not that I can take the credit, it was just a random way of folding that I stumbled across.

      I think your poncho colours would be quite fashionable these days. I bet every child of the 70's had one at some point or other. Thinking about making one for myself but I'll need to cast on a lot more than 30 stitches! xx

      Delete
  3. OMG THAT IS ADORABLE! I can double crochet in straight lines. I might give it a go!! Be on standby if I call for help!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to make one Rachel. I can't tell you how easy it is and how thrilled you'll feel when by just folding and sewing 2 little seams it turns into a poncho. After failing miserably trying to the 'easy patterns' couldn't believe my luck when I stumbled across this. xx

      Delete
  4. Love those colors! Like frozen sherbet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent description Bless, they are just like sherbert colours. Used to love a stick of licorice and a bag of sherbet or the rainbow kaylie which from memory was more of a granulated sugar consistency rather icing sugar. xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Jules. I don't usually go for pastels but I like how this has turned out. xx

      Delete
  6. that is so pretty, and so clever! Not surprised you are pleased with it. Love how it turned out.
    I love a good poncho. Going to hunt one down this winter now, inspired by you! ;o) xxx

    p.s hope to get an email off today, but can't make any promises. I seem to not be on a go slow, more of a standstill at the moment! Not getting anything done! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It was so easy to make which is why it gets a big thumbs up from me. I have a brown poncho and a black lacey one. I quite fancy a bright red one for winter. Might even crochet it myself. Nothing of any real significance getting done here either. I feel in limbo just waiting to go to Ireland. Don't feel able to get my teeth into anything proper, just bodging around trying to look busy :) xx

      Delete
  7. That is so cute! Such a neat way of folding to put it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's brilliant in its simplicity isn't it. So glad somebody figured out how to make a poncho out of 2 rectangles. I'd never have been able to crochet one otherwise. xx

      Delete