Wednesday, 31 August 2016

August

Is it really the last day of August? Exam results, college enrolment day and new school uniform hanging neatly in Thomas' wardrobe is a sure sign those lazy hazy summer days are all but over for another year.

So, what's been happening at Number 38 over the past few days.

Well, Amy's GCSE results came though. She did really well with A*, A and B grades, but in all honesty the maths grade totally outshone all the others because she got her much coveted C, which means that she never has to do a maths exam again. YIPEE! I don't know who was happier, her or me.

She'd chosen to have her results e-mailed to her and after a fraught morning they finally came through early afternoon. Within half an hour of receiving them she'd been up to her bedroom and gathered up all the maths paperwork she could find read to throw in the bin.
She enrolled at Manchester College yesterday and now embarks on 2 years of A Levels in English Lit, Psychology and Creative Writing. Tomorrow we're going out for a meal to celebrate her success.

We managed to sneak in another break at the van for a few days. We went last Friday and came home yesterday. It started fine with our usual swingball and connect 4 challenges.
Then it all went a bit skew whiff. We bought Thomas a scooter and within 15 minutes he'd fallen off it, twisting his ankle. An hour later when he still couldn't put his foot on the floor we made our way to A&E. Thankfully, after an X-ray the verdict was a bad sprain. As he was struggling to put any weight on it this meant we were pretty much based at the caravan for the final 2 days. We're pretty hard core at Number 38 though and not being able to walk is a minor issue, so we converted the back of the van into a 'sick bay' and turned the TV around for him to watch. 

Then me and Mark set ourselves up outside and watched the world go by over tea and cake. He's still struggling a little bit when he walks but it's getting better every day.
I'm not sure whether he'll look back on the summer of 2016 and think "ooh, I remember all those lovely days we spent at the van" or whether it will be more along the lines of "flipping heck Mum, do you remember the summer of 2016 when you kept dragging me off the Xbox to go to the van and I ended up in A&E again".


On the crafting front ponchos have been washed, buttons sewn on and they've been sent off. 
I also crocheted a twiddle muff which is a double thickness muff with buttons, ribbon and beads sewn on the inside and outside. 
They're given to Alzheimer sufferers so they have something to fiddle with, giving their hands and minds something to focus on. I sent this off to Knit for  Peace but when you type twiddle muff in the search engine it's surprising how many hospitals use them.
I did plain crocheting on the inside but for a bit of extra texture I crocheted bobbles on the outside.
My hands aren't used to being idle and after a couple of days off I was itching to get something on the hook again. We managed a trip to Cleveleys before Thomas sprained his ankle where I bought some wool including a lovely ball of multi-coloured yarn.
I decided to crochet a little top. I made it up as I went along but it's basically 2 blocks of crochet, then the sleeves are picked up and blocked and a scallop edging was added for a finishing touch. I think it looks quite cute. Mark says it reminds him of Noel Edmonds and Swap Shop and he's suggested I crochet a pink Mr Blobby one to go with it. Cheeky bugger. 
We also had a walk around the garden centre just down the lane and  I've decided Budleia is definitely on my list of plants to buy next year. No shortage of butterflies or bees over on the Fylde coast. This buddleja davidii 'White Profusion' was covered in them.
I've also taken to my books again and have read 2 since my last blog post.

On the house front, I've been keeping to my daily rota when I've been here. There are no more breaks on the horizon now until the end of September and with Thomas back at school on Monday my routine should be easy enough to keep to from now on. I've decided to do regular clear outs for the charity shop and this is the first haul. I think it will be mostly books and clothes I donate and I don't expect I'll have something every week but I'm aiming for regular drop offs rather than letting stuff build up.
I fear I may have tempted fate with my last post. I needed to have some blood tests done last week and unusually the Doc rang me with the results. Apparently my cholesterol, liver, thyroid, sugars etc are OK but my kidneys seem to be misbehaving. I have to go and see him next week where hopefully the first thing they might do is change some tablets around. We'll see. I refuse to google anything to do with it. Ignorance is bliss.  

And apart from that all is well at Number 38. I have a lot of catching up with blogs to do again so I'll be popping by to say hello to you all over the next couple of days. 

Thank you for all your comments. I haven't really been on here very much which is why I've not replied but I will be popping on now and then so if you want a 'chat' drop me a line :) 

Until the 30th September......

xxx



27 comments:

  1. Lovely to read a post from you today Suzanne.
    Brilliant results Amy.......well done you.
    Love all your crocheting especially that little jumper.....how cute is that.
    Sorry to hear about the blip with your blood tests and hope everything is OK for you.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be here posting again. There have been a couple of days when I've though, oh that would have made a good post, but mostly it's just been routine stuff I've been doing.

      We were all thrilled with Amy's results. I can't tell you how relieved she is not to have to do any more maths.

      Ah the blood test.... it's annoying because I feel fine. I'm hoping it will just be a re-jig of tablets. I've been asked to keep a record of my BP as well. I'll just have to see what he says next week. xx

      Delete
  2. Forgot to say....I hope Thomas is back to A1 soon-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was dreading it being broken. He was really upset at the thought of having his leg in plaster as well for some reason. So glad it was only a sprain. School would be wondering what I do to him in the summer hols. He went back with a broken thumb last September. xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely crochet, hope Thomas's ankle is fully healed soon. Sorry to hear about the blood tests and stuff - quite right to stay away from google, internet self-diagnosis often does more harm than good.

    And I will confess to a childish snigger at the phrase 'twiddle muff' - I know, I really need to grow up. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both MMC. Twiddle Muff just brings all sorts of thoughts to my seedy mind. I bet some dear little old lady came up with the name bless her, totally unaware there are people with smutty minds out there :)

      Definitely staying away from google. Within 10 minutes of searching I could be needing a transplant or dialysis. I'll just wait and see what the GP says. xx

      Delete
    2. And apologies for not saying congratulations to Amy on her results - I blame the twiddle muff!

      Congratulations Amy!

      Delete
    3. Heehee, definitely school girl toilet humour. xx

      Delete
  4. It is amazing how quickly August has gone by. Glad you managed to fill in another trip to the caravan but sorry to hear about the sprained ankle, poor lad.

    Love the idea of the twiddle muff, would love to make something like that to send to my Mum, who yes as an Alzheimer sufferer very much fiddles with everything she can find, but sadly after my attempts to crochet a little doll shawl last week and ending up in agony, as it really made my neuropathic pain flare up, I really do have to admit crocheting is a definite no go area for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and many congratulations to your daughter on her fabulous results!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. We're all really proud of her and really relieved about the maths grade as well!

      Thomas is a bit accident prone in the outside world so it didn't really come as any surprise. There were loads of boys there whizzing around on their bikes and scooters and I felt really sorry for him laid up in bed.

      What a shame you aren't able to crochet. I suffer a bit with my wrist if I have a long session so I have to make sure I put it down after a few rows. The muffs are a good idea aren't they. I did toy with the idea of giving it to Joan but I know she wouldn't get anything out of it. She'd rather keep her hands and mouth busy by unwrapping a supersize box of sweets :) xx

      Delete
    3. I've just found a knitting pattern for the twiddle muff, so will give that a go instead - thanks for the inspiration.

      Delete
    4. You're welcome Serenata. I'm sure the twiddle muff will be easier to handle than a doll shawl. xx

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Amy!!! Poor Thomas, I hope it's all healed for when he goes back to school. Hope everything goes okay for you at the doctors and all that is necessary is a medication adjustment. Love the cute little top and love the idea of the twiddle muff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice. There was lots of squealing and jumping up and down from both her and me. Thomas' is hobbling around and I'm sure it will be fine by the time he goes back to school. The week after he goes for his shoe wedge, not sure how he's going to get on with that.

      Fingers crossed it's just a medication thing. A bit fed up really because I feel fine off the tablets and I don't fancy trying anything new although if that's what I have to do then so be it.

      The little tops are so easy to crochet. I'm just about to finish another one. A bit of edging and sewing up and it's done. xx

      Delete
  6. Yay for Amy! Miss 22 did the same with all her maths stuff and Mr 19 did the same with his English!!
    Brilliant to see a post! Poor Thomas, still I guess he's getting to see all the different a and e s round the country?!

    Gorgeous crochet and the ponchos look so sweet with their buttons.
    See you in September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it with girls and maths and boys and English? At least that part of her education is over with now.

      Haha, yes indeed. The A&E we went to at Dawlish when he broke his thumb was so sweet, just how they should be, apart from it didn't have any equipment there the day we went. Blackpool was fine as well. Much better equipped with an x-ray room in the A&E dept. Just as well really as we sat in the waiting room with a girl with a broken collar bone, a girl with a broken arm and a boy with a broken ankle. All from playing sports. Honestly, they tell you to get them out and active but they're much safer in their bedrooms on their gadgets lol. xx

      Delete
  7. Oh you jammy beggar-you were back at my favourite site-AGAIN! Think Sooz in the Shed fell into the same yarn shop in Clevelys as you.
    Congratulations to Amy on achieving what she needs to go onto 6th form College-it's a much better system than keeping them in school as we do up here when you can hardly tell the staff from the pupils.
    Sorry your meds need altered-it's always a balancing act after a major illness/op especially when you feel fine. Thomas and my daughter have a lot in common about being accident prone-she's a real clumsy clop who can fall over nothing and seem surprised.
    Hope Thomas' return to school goes well and he likes his new teacher.
    We are off to Bolton Abbey at the end of September and I may go to Yarndale but there are live sheep and I'm not very good with smells. Happy caravanning when you next go and look forward to your next chapter at the end of October. Love to everyone. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catriona, hope you are keeping well :) 'The Naked Sheep' in Cleveleys is lovely and the owner is really helpful.

      Amy is definitely ready to leave school behind and move on to college now, she has her induction day on Monday and picks her timetable up.

      The trouble with Thomas is he's like a magnet where other children are concerned and seems to head straight for them. He fell off trying to avoid another girl on a scooter but I'd bet money he aimed straight for her!

      We're going to try and fit in another weekend at Blackpool to do the lights and then I think we might try somewhere different for a few days at half term. Bolton Abbey is on our list of places to try as well as Chester and Cleveleys.

      Enjoy your trip. Laughing about the sheep smells. I've seen pictures of Yarndale and it just looks too busy for me although everybody who goes seems to thoroughly enjoy it. Lovely to catch up with you :) xx

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to Amy on her exam results! Sorry to hear about Thomas' sprained ankle; hope he feels better, soon. Hope your doctor's visit goes well and it's nothing to be too concerned about. I've a kidney issue, too, and am on medication for it. Looking forward to reading your September post. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bless. I've not managed to pop over to see you but I've been thinking about you and the end of your treatment. Hope you are keeping well.

      Ah the kidney issue is a pain. I'm hoping a bit of a re-jig with meds will sort it out. I've been asked to take daily BP readings and so far they are fine so that's good.

      Thomas is pretty much back to normal with his ankle although it starts to ache as the day goes on. A sprain can be so painful.

      We went our for Amy's celebratory exam meal last night and it was lovely. I was a piggy though and as well as having creme brulee I pinched some cheese and crackers off Mark which finished me off. Had to go straight to bed when I got in to sleep my gluttony off. xx

      Delete
  9. Lovely to hear from you, & to see the fab pics. Glad that Thoma's injury was no worse, & hope all goes well for the new term & for the GP visit. Congrats to Amy. Vee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vee, yes, at least there were no broken bones this time although the sprain has taken long enough to sort itself out. Amy was thrilled with her results and although she really needed a B to do psychology, her grades in science and other subjects were good enough for her to still get on the course, so it's all worked out for her. xx

      Delete
  10. So pleased for Amy getting that Maths GCSE nailed! Yey. she worked hard, she deserved to pass.
    Oh scooters, don't get me started. I hate them. When Violet goes off on hers I literally stand and wait for the crash. She fell off hers on Monday, but she wasn't even scooting on it. Just sort of standing on it, or near it, or had one foot on it, or was balancing on it. Who knows. Something, she fell, hurt her hand. Tears. Drama. Germoline. Plaster. You know how it is. Poor Thomas hurting his ankle. I hope it's well and truly on the mend now. Love the sick bay! Sort of thing that goes on here.
    Thomas and Violet would get on well. She LOVES connect four, and she's sneakily good at it. She even has it on her tablet and phone. Obsessed!

    you have been busy with your offline time.

    Sorry you have worry about your health, but you are being sensible in not fretting too much and not googling.

    So good to read a blog post from you again. you are missed, I hope you know that.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sadie. There are days when I miss coming on and catching up but on the whole I'm enjoying the break from daily blogging. I'm toying with the idea of instagram though - we'll see.

      Had to laugh at Violet and the scooter. That's exactly the sort of thing that happens to Thomas. As my dear old Nanna would say "they could cause an accident in an empty house". Thomas was stood watching TV once, took one step back and just fell right over himself. No co-ordination whatsoever bless him although he's getting better. He'd actually asked for a bike and we did look but because we couldn't get it in the car he had to settle for a scooter, plus Mark secretly said to me "he won't be safe with all the other kids whizzing around", prophetic words indeed!

      Read your post yesterday and have to agree. Wouldn't life be much nicer if people would just live and let live. xx



      Delete
  11. We had a holiday in Wales with a broken arm. Beach days, climbing frames and all were accompanied by plastic bags and panicked cries of "Don't get wet!" I'm glad Thomas is better.
    My decluttering is pretty much kept to the weekends because of work, but I'm going for it big style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know what you mean. I showered for weeks with a plastic bag on my leg when I broke a bone in my foot. There was a little girl in the sea in Ireland with a bright yellow marigold glove taped on up to her elbow! Good luck with the de-cluttering, it's like therapy for me - good for my soul :) xx

      Delete