Tuesday, 12 July 2016

Reports and A New Knitting Project

There are still some days, though thankfully few and far between now, where I wake up and feel absolutely drained. Today was one of those days. Thomas was also a bit under the weather. He looked flushed and said he had a sore throat, but it was sports day and he wanted to go in. 

I decided to start my day with something pretty and colourful, so I sorted out my flowers. Fresh water, cutting the stems down, removing dead leaves. They always look better for it afterwards. 
Then I got cracking with some housework. Just before lunch school rang for me to go and collect Thomas as he wasn't well. So, no egg and spoon race for him and no need for the red t-shirt. Ah well. 

When I collected him he had his school report. They're fairly standard these days and are pretty much the same year on year. The best bit is definitely the few lines the teacher writes at the end. Can't quite fathom the B for PE Kit as he's never been without it, but there you go, maybe it was marked on my ironing skills! 

His 96% attendance equates to 7 days off school. It's a funny one this, because he was only off ill for 4 of those days which I don't think is too bad over a year.  The remaining 3 days were due to hospital/medical appointments for his broken thumb and his leg. In most cases he was back in school by 10.30am but because he'd missed his mark that was it - he was classed as absent.

Reports are a far cry from the ones I used to take home. These are from my final year in Infants (Y2) and Juniors (Y6). I love these type of reports. So few words yet all summed up perfectly for parents with not a statistic or unfathomable method of assessment in sight. Although I expect with marks of 75% and 81% I would be classed as needing intervention these days!
I've started another little knitting project. It's to go with the blankets and hats and if it turns out how it should will be quite cute. Hoping to get it finished tonight so I can show you tomorrow. 

xxx







12 comments:

  1. I hope Thomas is ok, and it's a 'something and nothing' thing. Shame he missed sports day.
    I'm totally hacked off with school today, am totally disgusted with them. Furious too.
    Anyway. Glad the report was ok. Looking forward to seeing your new knitting project. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems OK at the moment but that's after a dose of ibruprofen. I find it hard to imagine you being furious so something must have really made you mad. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh poor Thomas. I hope he's feeling much better very soon. He has very good grades. I had to laugh at your comment about the PE kit. They do seem very strict for a primary school. I'm looking forward to seeing what the knitting project is. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get the B at all, but I choose my queries and talks with the teacher very carefully and I'm quite happy to let it go. Plus I'd be mortified if they said it was because it's always creased lol :)

      They are strict and have a rule and regulation for everything, but Thomas loves that. He likes to know who should be doing what, where, when and how. It makes him feel secure knowing what's expected of him. Trouble is when other children (who are just being average children) bend/break the rules it throws him. But the teachers know what he's like and he's getting better at dealing with things. xx

      Delete
  3. Get well soon Thomas! Our sports day is Thursday - postponed from last Thursday. Can we all pray for sunshine please?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's on the mend thanks Rachel. Prayer for sunshine duly sent from Number 38. They ended up doing their sports day in the playground at Thomas' school because the field was too wet. xx

      Delete
  4. Hope Thomas feels better, soon. Hope you, too, feel better and not so drained. Take it easy and rest, if you can.

    Congratulations to Thomas on his good report. Loved seeing your old reports, too, and reading the comments. :)

    Looking forward to seeing what you are knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was just a 24/48 hour thing Bless. He seems fine now and wants to go in tomorrow.

      I don't have many days when I feel like that so it takes me by surprise. Used to have lots of them for a long time after the HA though. xx

      Delete
  5. I used to hate school report time. Wonder what Ruby's will be like this year.
    Hope Thomas feels better soon bless him.
    I know the waking up feeling drained thing. It really bugs me when I have a good night's sleep and wake up feeling like I've slept on a slab of concrete. You have my sympathy-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a horrible feeling isn't it. I felt like I had a hangover. Maybe I had a slight touch of what Thomas has got. Touch wood I'm generally not ill, although when I am I do it big style haha.

      Were you a teacher or did you just hate getting your report? xx

      Delete
  6. Shame Thomas missed out on the race but I hope he's on the mend. Like you, I much prefer the old style school reports, succinct and with proper handwriting. I remember one particular report my boy came home with which had an entry from a teacher who was clearly writing about another student. Like the look of your new knitting project. I've started again with mine using a different pattern but I'm rapidly losing interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, was it a good or bad comment about the other student? We had one report brought back to us because the teacher hadn't changed he to she and the girl was referred to as a boy all the way through. That's computers for you! I've not seen your knitting project. On my way over later to have a look. I spent a couple of hours doing something this afternoon, only to decide I didn't like it! xx

      Delete