Wednesday, 20 July 2016

Postcards from The Van Day 7




Bit of a tetchy start to the day at The Van. After being woken up by the thunderstorm I was hopeful it would clear the air. Turned out that was just wishful thinking. It seemed to be as hot as it did yesterday and the fact that I had to put the oven on and the gas ring for Thomas' sausage and chips didn't help with heating matters.

Early afternoon we had a drive to Cleveleys where it finally started to cool down a little bit and with the added bonus of a breeze my temperament thermostat soon returned to normal.


Amy and Thomas wanted to go on some rides this evening so we went to the South Pier in Blackpool. This was a first for Thomas who's never asked to go on a rides like these before. 


I didn't think he'd go ahead with it but with Big Sis encouraging him all the way and more than happy to go on with him he chose The Sizzler (a spinning around ride) and the log flume (twice). He'd actually psyched himself up for a roller coaster but there wasn't one. 


We've certainly seen a different side to him while we've been here. 

Wish you were here :) xx



10 comments:

  1. Sounds like Thomas is getting more self confident and willing to go beyond his comfort zone! Good for him! It's nice that he has a big sister who is encouraging and supportive. I'm sure that is a big factor.

    We hit 100F today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy is really good with him. She didn't really fancy the log flume, she wasn't keen on getting wet, but she went on it anyway and then again when he wanted another go.

      Just thinking about 100F has made me break out in a sweat. xx

      Delete
  2. yesterday was hideously hot here. Finally had a storm in the evening with hailstones as big as plums. I have never seen them like that before. The sound as they hit the windows was amazing. Not in a good way.

    Sounds like Thomas has blossomed and found his confidence with so many things. You must be delighted.

    Cooking in this heat has not been fun. I'm thinking of going on strike and demanding takeaways every day! ;O) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hailstone here but the biggest clap of thunder I've ever heard. Just one big bang. Sounded like a bomb had gone off. I can't believe how much Thomas has come on these past few days. Outside play, rides, friends. He's had a brilliant time and it's all good for him.

      We're on pizza tonight. From Tesco, so I'll just stick it in the oven. But I'm bringing chips and coleslaw in to go with it. xx

      Delete
  3. How fab that Thomas is finding the confidence to do things he's not wanted to before. I remember being terrified of fairground rides until my early teens and the sheer terror I felt when I went on the waltzer for the first time. How tame that seems now compared to some of the white knuckle rides....lol-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how much he's come on in the past week. It's really amazing. I remember begging Mum to go on the waltzers when I was 7 with a teenage neighbour at a local fair. She finally relented and I hated it! I screamed and cried so much they stopped the ride to let me off. Put me off rides for a long time. Still not really a fan but used to do the odd roller coaster with Amy to show willing. Hated every minute. xx

      Delete
  4. Oh blimey, a bunch of postcards just landed on the virtual mat! Sounds like a good time is being had by all. Keep cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, love finding a postcard to send you all every day. Didn't realise but some were deemed too saucy and were banned. We're having a lovely time. Spent most of the day thinking it's Wednesday. Totally lost track of time. Disappointed to realise it's Thursday. xx

      Delete
  5. Am commenting backwards as per - Thomas is just being bloody marvellous and top sister points to Amy! I'm a wuss when it comes to fairgrounds and roller coasters. I'm the bag lady at these places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not my favourite thing either. I can do the little kiddie ones but nothing big unless I really have to and even then it can't spin because it makes me feel really sick.

      He's come on a treat this week, so proud of him and Amy. xx

      Delete