Friday, 1 July 2016

Baby not allowed home just yet

Sophie and Sienna were supposed to be discharged from hospital today but baby has jaundice so needs to go 'under the lamp' which means they could be in a couple more days. Matthew is disappointed they have to stay in and Sophie is upset. I think they just want to get home now and get on with being a family. But babies are a law unto themselves aren't they. From the picture I posted yesterday it's hard to tell how tiny Sienna is, so here's one of Aunty Amy holding her. Sophie was quite relaxed about us all having a cuddle, even Thomas, who is taking his new responsibility as Uncle very seriously indeed and has already asked about baby sitting duties.

I think I've said before that we get on very well with Matthew's Mum and Stepdad and it was lovely for him that we could all be there together last night and share in the excitement and joy together. 
So, over the past couple of days I've been pottering with the crafty bits I've got on the go. 

I've been playing around with the fleece I bought trying to make some little hats. It's been a bit of a faff in an enjoyable way, as I couldn't decide what style to go for. In the end I went for a very basic one as the ones that were sewn at the crown looked too square. This is for a baby but if I make any for an older child I think I'll tie some ribbon around with a few beads on as a finishing touch.
I also ordered a skip stitch blade for the rotary cutter which I needed for a little blanket project that I wanted to try out. It arrived today and so far it's looking pretty good. 
Plus I sewed the border onto the final quilt. 
This is a tiny one and just used up the bits of  material I had left over. 
I went into Middleton with Mum this morning. She was due her eye test which was a very thorough process. We were in Boots for an hour and that only included 5 minutes tops for choosing her new frames! We had our usual coffee and then picked up the bits and bobs we needed.

And yesterday I treated myself to some ice-cream. This is packed full of chewy caramel pieces and as nobody else really likes ice-cream it's all mine.

xxx

13 comments:

  1. Oh my word-she is tiny when you see her in Amy's arms! What is Mark's title going to be?
    Happy, happy days ahead.
    Well done on having the concentration to get you sewing finished at such an exciting time. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's going to be Grandpa Grumps lol. Having something to do over the past few days has helped keep my mind busy. Typing this to you, it seems ages since we met up, yet it's only a week tomorrow. Hope you have a safe journey back home. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh my! She is so beautiful. And what a lovely photograph with Amy (also beautiful, by the way). Enjoy your ice cream. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Her fingers are unbelievably long as well as her toes! I've never seen such long toes actually. Matthew can't stop laughing at them. xx

      Delete
  3. What a little gem.
    How handy that you have icecream no-one else likes!
    Has Thomas checked the going rate for babysitting?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to admit half the tub has gone already. It's delicious. He hasn't mentioned money but I know how his mind works, he'll want paying in 'Xbox downloads' no doubt. He loves buying bits and pieces of equipment for Minecraft etc. xx

      Delete
  4. aw, she is teeny tiny. you forget how tiny babies are until you see one that's just been born. It's a shame she couldn't go home straight away, but she'll soon be there.

    Ha. you and your ice cream, that was a sneaky little move!

    Love your quilts. You are a pretty amazing quilter. Fact. That hat is just adorable.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's moving in the right direction slowly but surely. A bit of a set back last night but they'll get there eventually.

      Ooh, that ice-cream is delicious. I'm delighted nobody else likes it. xx

      Delete
  5. Ahhh my arms a re aching to cuddle a newborn! I'm intrigued by the blade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely having a little one to cuddle. Equally as lovely to hand them back to mummy and daddy as well :) I saw a quick project on t'internet that needed holes in material. They didn't tell you how they got the holes though so I had to do a bit of digging. I didn't even know different blades existed for rotary cutters. I've also got a scallop and wave one which gives a nice finish to edges. xx

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear that baby couldn't come home as planned, but everything will be fine, I'm sure. My daughter was a preemie and was born weighing 5 lbs. She, too, had jaundice and had to be kept under the lights. They kept her an extra day in the hospital after I was discharged, but she was fine after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's quite common in babies isn't it, especially preemies. Amy had it as well but they said to just pop her in front of the window. xx

      Delete