Monday, 25 July 2016

A New Skill

It's far too easy to get back into routine after a holiday isn't it? The washing had all been done by last night which meant this morning a stack of ironing was waiting for me. Rather than do it in one go, I've left the board up and done 20 minutes here and there throughout the day. 

I've also been putting my new found skill to use. At the van I learned how to crochet a ball and a circle. Took me a full week to get to grips with this but I got there in the end and I can whip a circle up in no time at all now. Which got me thinking, could I use them to decorate a little comfort blanket. A quick look on the web and hey presto, I now have a little collection of motifs. I still can't follow a pattern so I tend to make the extras like ears, legs, fish tails up as I go along. There's been a lot of undoing and starting again going on today but I'm happy with how everything looks now. Not sure I could replicate any of it though!
Anyway, here's the first one I've done. It's probably just a bit bigger than a flannel. I decided to undo the yellow border and replace it with blue. Just need to wash it, pin it out and lightly steam it and it's ready to add to the pile of things to go.

Really I should stop adding new things and finish off what I've started. But I'm not too worried. No doubt by the end of the holidays everything will be done and in the post. 

How's that for positive thinking.  

xxx

14 comments:

  1. Oh my word....your little crochet animals are amazing. I love, love, love the ladybird....and the fish.....and the octopus.....and the duck....and the teddy...awesome.
    So proud of Ruby today....she came first in the egg and spoon race and third in the obstacle race. She was chuffed to bits-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Ruby. It's lovely when they win, not that I've ever experienced the thrill of a 1st at any sports day with my two!

      I think the fish is my favourite, only because I made the tail up myself. Quite proud of how it turned out. xx

      Delete
  2. They are so lovely! Impossibly cute! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MMC. They were fun to make. Might have to rustle up a caterpillar. That would be really easy I think. xx

      Delete
  3. oh I love them! You are a clever thing. what a talent to have. There's me all chuffed because I finally got round to starting a little sewing project today, and there you are doing something really rather fabulous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you're too kind Sadie. We should all feel chuffed when we do something crafty, especially when in my case, it finally turns out right haha. I must have unravelled those circles dozens of times to start again. xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely work-I can't crochet for toffee! Spent a very frustrating day trying to retrieve documents for a pen drive which ended in failure. Tomorrow is another day but sadly most of it will be spent sitting in a meeting about health care. Early finished the decluttering but now need to get cleaning. This is a pipe dream of course because I may just have purchased some new books yesterday and of course they must be read as soon as possible:-))) Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I might be able to crochet but I'd have no idea how to do anything technical. If anything ever goes wrong on here I just pass it over to Mark to sort out. Basically I'm OK with the typing part and that's about it.

      Books definitely take priority over cleaning. Go put your feet up and get started :) xx

      Delete
  5. That bear's face is just perfect. Not scary at all! I've given up on crochet. Just can't understand all of that 'ch/dc2tog/hdc' stuff. I ironed last night (polishes halo). Had to lie down afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Liz. No idea how to read a pattern. Probably doesn't help that I don't know the names of the stitches I'm crocheting, which is OK if you're just doing a blanket but can be a bit of a pain when you're trying to make a shape. I should really learn but it seems a bit like hard work.

      Somebody should invent an laptop ironing board so that we can sit down when we're ironing. Maybe I could crochet one haha. xx

      Delete
  6. The lady bird is sooo sweet. Adorable crochet you clever thing! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you kind lady. I'm thinking of trying a caterpillar and a boat but might have to rein myself in because then I need to crochet the little blankie for them to go on and really I should be doing other things. xx

      Delete
  7. Your crocheted motifs are so cute! You are doing really well with all your crochet! I have a hard time reading crochet patterns, too, and I get all confused between the British crochet stitches and American ones! I learned one way, but the patterns here use the other way. It's too confusing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, there are the different stitches to contend with as well which makes it even worse. The best thing about crochet is you can sort of just make it up as you go along although I've never any idea how I've created something so would struggle to do it again! xx

      Delete