Thursday, 23 June 2016

Voting and Quilting

I went to the polling booth this morning. We're registered for postal voting but I decided I'd deliver our votes myself this time. I went straight after dropping Thomas at school and there was already a queue. There was a girl at the front probably in her mid 20's and they couldn't find her name on the list. Turns out she'd not actually registered to vote. I wonder how many times that will happen today. 

Voting is a funny thing isn't it. People come over all MI5 about it for some reason, but you know me, I'm happy to spill the beans about most things, and without turning this into a political post I don't have a problem telling you I've voted Out. However, regardless of the outcome tomorrow, I will always be proud that we live in a democratic country and grateful for the fact that we're able to vote.  
Unlike the south who have had terrible weather, we've had blue skies and sunshine today and I spent 20 minutes in the garden dead-heading and tying up the climbers. 
And this is my third and final quilt for the time being. Another red border and patterned border has been added since I took this photo and it's finished now. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the sewing and mess making I've done this week but Mark and Amy will be home tomorrow and I want the house back in some sort of order. 
Plus I really need to stop making the tops and find the courage to get on with the actual quilting!

xxx

12 comments:

  1. Met Mark and Amy today. What a lovely young woman she is. Are you using fleece for the back of the quilts-it's quite easy to do and no wadding required. I'm making hexies by hand which I find restful. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catriona, hope you had a good journey down to Blackpool. Yes, Mark rang and said they'd spoken to you. Looking forward to meeting you myself on Saturday :) I haven't thought about using fleece for the backing. Would it be think enough to be classed as a quilt? xx

      Delete
    2. The woman who runs the Linus Project in our area insists that they have only two layers-the top and a fleece backing. This is to make them easy to wash and dry. It cuts down the time and cost greatly. Catriona

      Delete
    3. I'll ask the co-ordinator for our area what they want. But thanks for mentioning that, if they only want a fleece backing that will save me a lot of work. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm not in the mood to justify my vote to anyone, which is the only reason I've not spoken about it, but I've voted out too. I've resisted temptation all day to tweet a YouTube link to 'Get the Funk Out', which I've been singing most of today. I found it quite hilariously fitting, but thought that might just offend some people and I can do without any twitter abuse!

    More rain here today. So muggy. It is quite stifling. Bill chirped to me 'it's like Autumn isn't it' but got a bucketload of abuse in return. It is not like Autumn. Autumn is lovely and cold, and leaves fall as well as rain. This is rain on hot air and it makes you sweat. Urgh.

    Your quilt is beautiful! I love it, so cheery and happy.

    Thank you for your email, I shall let you know how we get on tomorrow. I have to make the appointment in the a.m, so don't know what time we'll be there, but I shall let you know. She has eaten tonight, which is a massive relief!

    oh, and I think the rose is called Rhapsody in Blue, but I'm not totally certain. That's the closest to it I could find. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I wouldn't justify my vote to anybody either, it's my vote to do with what I want :) I would never dream of commenting on who/what somebody voted for either, it's entirely up to them.

      Know what you mean about the weather when it's like that. I call it jungle weather, hot, sticky and wet and it just makes you feel yuk.

      Glad to hear Violet is eating, hope she's turning the corner now, bless her. I'll look up the rose and thank you for the comment about the quilt. All sewing is going away tonight in preparation for Mark and Amy coming home tomorrow. Plus I want a clear house for her getting ready for the prom. Speak tomorrow. xx



      Delete
  3. The rhapsody in blue rose us what I have in my front garden. It is the truest dark blue purple rose I can find. Masses of blooms that come out pinky purple and slowly fade to a gorgeous skate blue and the perfume is sweet and heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to buy one, I think the colour is beautiful. xx

      Delete
  4. Slate blue not skate. FECKING phone. Me n HG voted out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Loads of people we've spoken to were voting out. I did my usual 3am wake up so decided to get up and watch it. Didn't go to bed until 5.30pm just about the time they'd decided Brexit was happening. Really exciting watching the numbers rise as time went on. xx

      Delete
  5. Love the quilt, you've done a really good job. (I'd love to have a go but know my limitations!). We've somehow managed to dodge the recent rainfall so far here, too. It's sunny outside at the moment though have to say it's a dark day for me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. There was a fair bit of unpicking that had to be done on this quilt. Trying to line up and get everything straight was a bit harder than I thought. I'm afraid we are opposites today, it's pouring down outside, but I'm feeling rather bright. It was a close one though wasn't it. xx

      Delete