Thursday, 2 June 2016

Stones, Sheep Sh!te, Splinters and Film Scenes

We're back! We had a lovely time, apart from a couple of fraught moments, although if I'm honest, nothing ever really goes 100% to plan where Number 38-ers are concerned. 

Our journey down was good. Longer than I thought at 4 hours, but nothing to complain about. We arrived, checked in and took a taxi into Chippenham for a walk and a look around. This is the River Avon and it's the best photo I took because we'd only been here for 10 minutes when it absolutely poured down, so we spent the remainder of our time in and out of shops.
The day after was Avebury. I'd been really looking forward to this. The village was lovely, although this was as much as we saw of it (more of that later).
The stones were everything I thought they would be.
And even though they are older than Stonehenge you can walk around them and touch them.
As long as you're not afraid of sheep or sheep sh!te that is. We tried to avoid it for the first 5 minutes then decided it was a lost cause and happily waded through without a second thought, our shoes covered in the stuff (remember that for later).
A touch of the envies. Some people live in such beautiful places don't they.
After the stones, we visited the museum and then the Manor House which I highly recommend. It's one of those museums where you can touch things - my favourite sort. I think it had 11 rooms and each one was kitted out from a different era. We only saw 4 of them  though (soon to be revealed why).
The first was a 1930's room, the second a kitchen dated 1910 where Thomas ground coffee beans and Amy ground peppercorns. The third room was a dressing up room. 
By now Thomas had thrown himself well and truly into the spirit of interaction although all me and Amy could think about were nits and fleas!
The fourth room was where it happened. Encouraged by one of the lovely volunteers to jump into the four poster bed and put on his nightcap, Thomas kicked off his shoes and leapt straight up there. 
He was having a fantastic time. In fact we all were. We were well and truly into the spirit of this museum until he jumped out of bed, shuffled across the floor and......2 of the biggest splinters I've ever seen went straight into his foot. No kidding they were about 1inch long and fairly thick.

No photos of the next bit I'm afraid but it went something like this. "Don't touch them, get them out, no don't touch them, get them out, it hurts, get them out, no don't touch them". By now we were becoming as much of the 'show' as the actual house.

There was no choice but to put his shoes on (remember the sheep sh!te, dried but still plenty of it) then get him to hop/walk on the side of his foot back to the village shop, where miraculously they sold tweezers and savlon (thank you all relatives who have passed over for looking down on us). 

Then it was up onto a wall, sheep sh!ite shoe back off, sock off and first aid administered, all the while surrounded by a group of school children and a Japanese tourist group.

Exhausted by all this malarkey, when Mark suggested we resume where we'd left off I declined. It was lunchtime anyway and I was in need of a glass of vino. I ended up having 2 and falling asleep in the car on our way to our next tourist attraction which is very unusual for me.

Anyway, shoes firmly on, our next place was Lacock Abbey. We had no intention of visiting here, in fact I've never heard of it but the taxi driver told us they'd filmed some of the Harry Potter scenes here and as it was only a few miles from where we were staying and a National Trust site it seemed a shame to miss out.

Amy and Thomas recognised some of the areas where scenes were shot straight away.
I've seen all the films but attention to detail isn't really my thing.
But I'm sure avid Harry Potter fans will know that the cloisters, the courtyard, the Mirror of Erised scenes and Professor's Snape and Quirrells classrooms were all filmed here. For the not so well versed in Harry Potter, well, you learn something new every day don't you.
And so that was Avebury, splinters, stones, sheep sh!te and all. I have decided one day I will return and finish off what I started. But that day will very much be in the future. A future where children have left home and no longer come away on holiday with us.  

Apart from our holiday to Ireland every trip in future will be in our caravan and I'm sure there will be tales a plenty to tell from those weekends away!

xxx








16 comments:

  1. It's always an adventure with kids, isn't it? I am glad it wasn't anything worse than splinters, although, I'm sure the splinters were traumatic enough! Lovely pictures - everything looks so nice and green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed Bless. I was thankful it was only splinters and that I could get them out although when I first saw them I must admit I thought we'd be taking a trip to a walk in centre which could have taken up a few hours. Avebury was lovely, in fact the countryside down there is all beautiful. xx

      Delete
  2. I hope the foot (and it's owner) is now on the mend. I was bracing myself for you to say he'd broken the bed! I am glad you had a reasonably successful trip - two glasses of wine is most definitely a success in my book - and of course, as they say, things can only get better. Plans never go smoothly in this house either :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lord, a broken bed; can you imagine! Thomas was well and truly into the whole thing so it was a real shame we had to come away. There's still a smidge of splinter in his foot, if it were me I'd pick it out with a pin, but he's not going to let me do that. So plenty of foot soaks and savlon and I'll keep my eye on it over the next few days. xx

      Delete
  3. Avebury... I went there when I was trying for a baby and came back pregnant after I'd touched the fertility stone. Strange, but true.

    And I love Lacock Abbey; we went a couple of years ago and had fun playing spot the scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember you saying about the baby. I touched the fertility symbol outside Blackpool's Pleasure Beach and was pregnant pretty quickly after trying for a while. Spooky! xx

      Delete
  4. Boy, you sure do have adventures!!! Like Jules I also thought he was going to break the bed. What a picture, stinky sheep poo and splinters in Thomas's foot! I feel bad for Thomas but I have to say I did laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could only happen to us Janice and I half expect it these days. We've laughed about it since but it wasn't so funny at the time. Thomas rapidly approaching hysteria in the middle of a sleepy Wiltshire Village certainly sent the blood pressure up. xx

      Delete
  5. My daughter's mother-in-law lived near Swindon and we've been to Laycock. Our dd had her handbag stolen from her car when she and her hubby went to Avebury but they enjoyed the village and stones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's not good Pat. I wonder if she parked in the main car park outside the village like we did. No parking at all in Avebury apart from residents. From what I saw of the village it was beautiful and the stones certainly get you wondering. xx

      Delete
  6. crikey. I was really enjoying your post and thinking what a fantastic place to visit - encouraging people to leap into bed? Fabulous! laughing my head off about poo and nits and stuff, then I got to the splinters and eeeeouwch! How horrible. What a rotten thing to happen. Although, again I'm laughing, and it is the way you tell it! Surrounded by tourists! ha ha ha! Not what you wanted! Glass of wine? should think you needed a bit more than that!

    Not an HP fan in any way, shape or form. Not read a book, not seen a film, but I do love the look of the Abbey there. My sort of place. Probably haunted.

    Good to see you back again, and glad that you had a sort of good time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame it happened because Thomas was really into the spirit of it all and we were having such a good time. No idea what the other rooms were but if they were half as good as the ones we visited we definitely missed out.

      It would have been bad enough sat on a wall with shoes off, his foot in the air and me bent over him with tweezers, but we also had sound effects from him! He was becoming really panicky and his voice was getting higher and higher along with my BP! It didn't help that I had Mark in the background saying "if he won't let you do it we'll have to go to a walk in centre". No bloody way I thought. I'm not sitting in a waiting room for 3 hours to have 2 splinters pulled out. Plus the thought sent Thomas into even more of a panic.
      All credit to Amy though. If that was my family at 16, I'd have walked off and pretended not to be with them, but she stuck by us lol.

      Top tip for anybody who ever goes - take wellies. The sheep stuff just cannot be avoided.

      I didn't watch any of the HP films until a couple of years ago when Amy and Thomas put a DVD on and I found myself enjoying it. Then we had a bit of a HP fest and watched all the films in succession. Never read a book though, they certainly don't appeal to me. But the Abbey was great. I love that sort of thing although Amy and Thomas had more fun in the museum. xx

      Delete
  7. Ouch to the splinters but other than that - sounds like a fun and busy holiday - great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely couple of days but I might stay home next year! I spent 2 days away and 3 days so far sorting the dogs out through them being in kennels with no end in sight just yet. The balance has definitely been all wrong. xx

      Delete
  8. Oh my stars, splinter injuries are painful in your fingers let alone your feet! I am laughing cruelly though at the scene you painted with unhelpful Dad comments! I've suffered plenty of those in my time!! Poor Thomas! Poor you! I'm definitely going to the stones at Avebury after my disappointment over Stonehenge last Summer that I blogged about. You holiday in the exact style we do. Perfect. ( except for sheep sh*te! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad comments indeed. Talk about doom and gloom and going to Defcon 1. He was only one sentence away from saying it might have to be amputated. In a funny way the fact the splinters were so big made them easier to get out, not that it felt like that at the time.

      All that aside, the stones were really good and the whole set up of the museum, manor, cafe and shop etc was lovely. If you can, you really should go. xx

      Delete