Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Haute Cuisine Clematis

I seem to be handing money over left, right and centre lately, what with Mark's birthday and setting up the caravan. Today was a bit more 'me' focused though. Some new books and a pack of washi tape from The Works paid for with my birthday voucher. And some new shoes. I really wanted another pair but they didn't have my size so I chose these instead. I've not given up on my original quest for footwear though. Middleton has the same shoe shop so I'll have a look in there when I next go.
I also picked up 3 sets of pillow cases for £1 each to use for the quilt. I decided to sew the hexy flowers onto a block and then sew the blocks together as I think this will be easier in the long run.
Do you think they look OK? I was going to do a 3x4 block but will add another row in to make it 4x4. The quilts don't have to be a specific size and they range from 20"x20" upwards, but the local co-ordinator has said the most common size is around 36"x36".
Every corner of the house seems to be filled with caravan stuff at the moment and I'm using the clutter as an excuse not to bother doing too much this week. The house will feel twice as big when it's all gone, in fact it will take on mansion proportions after living in the caravan for a weekend!
And somebody likes my clematis....a lot! A bit of googling and the culprits could well be earwigs. They remind me of Mark with the biscuit barrel, they obviously don't know when to stop. Greedy blighters......insects and humans! 

xxx



10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to spend a bit of that money on yourself, too. Your new sandals are very pretty, too. Not as sparkly as the other pair, but still very nice and cool for the summer.

    The quilt will look lovely when you are done. I like the colors and how they coordinate together.

    So sorry your flowers are being eaten by insects! Looks like it was very much to their taste!

    I'm sure you will have a lovely weekend in your caravan. My former neighbors used to have one and I was always a bit envious of their ability to go away for a weekend and have all the comforts of home when they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clematis is certainly keeping some greedy insects very happy indeed.

      I'm really looking forward to going away this weekend, but it probably won't be as relaxing as future breaks. The amount of things we need to take to set up 'home' is unbelievable and I've got lists everywhere. I'm trying to do it so that in future, apart from clothes we won't really need to take anything else with us. So that means toiletries, food cupboard basics, kitchen equipment, bedding etc. Then of course there's the actual things you need for a caravan but Mark is dealing with those. Despite all that though I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow. xx

      Delete
  2. ah, a bit of 'me' shopping is always time - and money - well spent if you aske me! Like your shoes, very nice.
    Your quilt looks lovely already. You are much more disciplined than me. I just can't do a proper pattern, I'm all 'throw it in and that'll do'!

    Your poor clematis! I showed Bill the pic thinking he might recognize the tooth marks, but he just vaguely said 'could be some kind of aphid' so no help there! Still. It must have tasted good.

    Have a lovely evening. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well your 'throw it all in' quilt that you've made looks lovely so it's obviously a good method. I've sewed 2 rows of 4 blocks this morning. Now I need to make another 3 flowers and buy some more material for them because I don't have enough for the extra 4 I've decided to do.

      Had to laugh at Bill's reply. It's a bit of a busman's holiday isn't it coming home from work and then having some blogger's moth eaten flower shoved under his nose. Have to say they're very methodical insects, they're only eating one flower at the moment, which is jolly decent of them. xx

      Delete
  3. The Gardener has just informed me it could be caterpillar larvae that caused the damage. (He's in bed reading a gardening magazine, I suspect he's found a relevant article!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, or he could be like Mark who likes to mull things over then come back to you with an answer days after you've even forgotten you've asked the question! I've had a look but I can't see any insects or anything on the plant. Maybe it is earwigs having a midnight feast. xx

      Delete
  4. Ooh, some lovely treats you have there. Bet you can't wait to get all the new stuff into the caravan. When we had one, it always felt like playing house. With melamine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it feels exactly like playing house. The best bit is there's not really any housework that has to be done. I think I could honestly live in one. xx

      Delete
  5. Your quilt blocks are lovely. Really well matched. How exciting setting up your caravan. Like moving out/home in miniature but with all brand new, not have nt to make do! Squeeee - can't wait to see the pics X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I'm taking my time with the matching up so that when I do that awful stitching in the ditch it might work better than my last attempt.

      Oh I was so excited to set up the caravan I can tell you. Mind you I got a bit fed up of unpacking and unwrapping everything and I nearly cried when the cutlery set was all individually wrapped. We got there eventually though and it's lovely, even if I do say so myself. xx

      Delete