Monday, 20 June 2016

Beeping Dogs AGAIN & Quilting

Life at Number 38 is nothing if not real, which is why my first job of the day was to clean up dog sick. The mutts are driving me mad lately, if it's not coming out of one end it's coming out of the other, although to be fair the rear end problem seems sorted now. The thing that really annoys me is that 70% of downstairs is wooden flooring so why do they always head for the 30% carpet to be ill?

After taking Thomas to school I came home and did a couple of hours of housework then sat down to some quilting. The hexy flower one is going quite well, if you don't take into account I sewed a strip on upside down so the pattern wasn't right and I had to unpick it and start over. One more row to go and then it's the bit I can't really do, the actual quilting part, although maybe because it's not too big and I've managed to line it up better this time, it won't be as difficult as when I last had a go.
This is the material I ordered last week before I went away which was waiting for me when I got home last night.
I've decided to do a brick style quilt with blue 'cement' and this is where I'm up to so far. Because I'm only doing small quilts I'll definitely get another two out of the material left over, possibly three if I use a block of colour as well. The 8 fat quarters cost me £7.92 plus £3.70 for postage so 3 or 4 quilt tops for £11.62 is pretty good I think. If I had to choose a favourite panel it would be the cowboys. We were brought up on John Wayne and I love a good old fashioned shoot out. 
Mark and Amy are having a great time at the caravan. Amy has been into Blackpool this afternoon to do some shopping and Mark has been faffing around replacing the jockey wheel with one that is more up to his exacting requirements!

I'm just about to make a brew and watch The Disappearance, then it'll be shower, PJ's and bed. 

xxx







12 comments:

  1. I love your quilting. I have bought some fabric packs from Hobby craft but have not been brave enough to start. Where did you get that lovely children's fabric from please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alison, welcome to Number 38:) I bought the fabric off Ebay. The company is called fabric penguin, they do lots of girly ones as well which are lovely. The code is
    ( 301690396094 ). They cost 99p per fat quarter but you can buy bigger pieces as well.

    Good luck with the quilting, it is a bit daunting isn't it. This is only the second one I've attempted myself. The first left a lot to be desired haha. I think I made it too big to handle when it came to stitching in the ditch. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time as I'm making smaller ones. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hexys look fab and the fabrics for the boys quilt are gorgeous. Lovely bright colours. I hope the dog's are ok. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, so far they've turned out better than I thought they would. Not many boys quilts get made apparently so I'm hoping some little chap will like this one. xx

      Delete
  4. Thank you. I think I'll just have to throw caution to the wind and give it a go. (I'm so worried about making a hash of it) but if I don't try I'll never know. Hope your dogs are better soon. The caravan looks very swish by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean but as you say if you don't try you'll never know. Have you seen any of the Missouri Quilt tutorials? They're really good and pretty easy to follow. I watched her for my star quilt and they turned out alright, I just didn't get the blocks lined up and it all went to pot when I wanted to stitch in the ditch.

      Thank you, we think the caravan is lovely. Hoping to spend lots of time in in over the summer hols. xx

      Delete
  5. How did you manage to avoid Busy Fingers in St Annes? It's the most delicious shop and Camilla the owner is lovely. There's also a shop in Poulton which is super as well.I love doing hexies but am trying to stick to machine quilting these days although I usually have a small hand project on the go in the caravan. Love all your materials and of course the hexie one is my favourite. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of it but to be honest when we go over to the coast it's usually to do the beach and the prom. I wouldn't dream of dragging Thomas around town looking at shops on a day out, it would be his worst nightmare. But next time I go I'll leave the boys to it for a while and have a look. Better to do that sort of shopping on my own anyway.

      I'm hoping the fabrics I chose will cheer some little chappie up, not many quilts get made for boys so this is my contribution to equality :) xx

      Delete
  6. oh, why do pets do that?! Dud is exactly the same, he won't do it on the washable floors when he's sick, noooo, he goes to a bit of carpet, preferably under a bed so it's really nice and tricky to clear up!

    Quilt is looking good, and I love your new fabric choices and the design.

    Glad the caravanners are having such a good time :O) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a pain for doing that aren't they. If Amy's bedroom door is open Sparky will go under her bed to be ill. So frustrating because as you say it's really hard to clean up, but at least she has a wooden floor.

      The caravanners are having a ball. They've been shopping again today and are going for a walk along the front tonight after having BBQ fillet steak for tea, if you don't mind! I love that even at 16 Amy is quite happy to be seen with her Dad in public. Mind you, it's probably because nobody knows her over there. They have a really good relationship though, he's always making her laugh about something or other which is really nice. xx

      Delete
  7. Sorry you have to deal with the dogs being sick again.

    Your hexy quilt looks lovely. Hope the quilting won't give you any trouble. Love the fabrics you chose for the other quilt, as well. Such cheerful prints. One of my cousins' daughters is expecting her first child later this year; I think I will make a quilt as a baby gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touch wood I think it was a one off with the dog. Never sure which one is ill either as they sneak off out of sight.

      I'm pretty happy with the top bit, but it could all go wrong with the quilting part. Fingers crossed it will be OK. Ooh a new baby on it's way, there's nothing nicer to look forward to. A quilt would be a lovely gift. You'll have to show photos as you go along. xx

      Delete