Saturday, 7 May 2016

Surprise Bonus x 2

Today was Willard Wigan day at Manchester Central Library. Amy didn't come with us in the end. She'd double booked herself and her friends won over family. Such is life. So it was just the three of us.

In case anybody is wondering, these needles are just the average sized ones used for sewing. It's practically impossible to see the artwork and anything you do see just looks like a speck of dust.
I don't know whether I'd missed the fact that Willard himself was going to be there or whether he'd just decided to make a surprise appearance, but when we arrived there he was. In The Flesh! 

The room was set up with about 20 pieces of his work and obviously the only way to see them was through a microscope. We'd only been in the room a few minutes when he came in clearly aware that Thomas and a couple of ladies couldn't see through some of the microscopes because they were too high.
He grabbed a chair for Thomas and also encouraged everybody who wasn't tall enough to pull the microscope down to their height. Thomas was a bit hesitant at first but Willard kept saying "a bit more, a bit more". It's not often you meet an artist who doesn't mind the hands on approach. He seemed very at ease with Thomas man handling his exhibits. My heart was in my mouth!
The pieces are fantastic. They can take a couple of months to produce and he's inhaled a few which he quite undramatically stated "can be a bit annoying".
Thomas loved the whole thing and we bought a signed book and asked for a cheeky photo which he was more than happy to oblige us with. He even checked the photo was OK because he'd had one taken earlier in the day and "the light shone off my head making me look like a malteser".
On the way back to the car our second bonus of the day was a parade of marching bands. I love the sound of drums, it sends a shiver down my back. 
We had a lovely day and if there is ever a Willard Wigan exhibition near to you, I definitely recommend you go and see it. 

xxx



12 comments:

  1. oh that is so lovely! What a nice bloke, and how brilliant to get to meet him.
    Such amazing works of art, yes, if I ever see it advertised here I will make sure we go and check it out.

    Have a lovely Saturday evening. I'm getting grumpy. Too hot, just had to hoover from 'bits' all over the house (blossom and grassy stuff), also have done ironing. Hot, bothered, stroppy!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely go if you can, I bet Violet would love it. It verges so much on the impossible that you can't help but wonder if it's a trick. I overhead him saying he'd like to work on The Old woman in a shoe and do 25 children!

      Laughing at you being hot, bothered and stroppy. When I strop Mark and Mum say I goosestep around the house hahaha. xx

      Delete
  2. How lovely to have the artist there, helping Thomas see all the exhibits and posing for a photograph! And the added bonus of a marching band, as well! Sounds like it was a very nice day and outing. Too bad Amy couldn't go with you, but, at her age, friends are important, aren't they?

    Hope you have a lovely day, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was telling us that he doesn't enjoy creating his art but his enjoyment comes from finishing it so that other people can enjoy it, which is why I think he was so aware Thomas and a couple of ladies couldn't see. He's a lovely man and was happy to answer any questions people had.

      Yes, Amy's friends are her priority over a family outing, but that's the case with teenagers isn't it. Slowly, slowly they branch out and start leading their own lives. Ah well at least I have a few more years of Thomas :) xx

      Delete
  3. Wow what a talented man. I saw him on the One Show the other evening. Must make the effort to go and see the exhibition!
    Glad you had such a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely go if you can Pauline. It's fascinating and he's such a lovely man, so if you can go when he's there you should. I've never heard of him or his work so I have Thomas to thank for our day out :) xx

      Delete
  4. I cannot fathom how somebody could manage to do something so detailed at such a small scale! He inhaled them! Made me giggle! Thomas looks v ery gorgeous in these photos! Super happy. What a great bonus to your day being able to meet the artist himself! Top parenting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all down to Thomas that we went and I'm so glad we did. It's like magic and you do wonder if it's an optical illusion because it's so impossible what he does but he's in the Guinness Book of Records so it must be real!

      I know, can you imagine working for weeks and then taking a sharp breath and whoosh it's all gone. He actually said he doesn't enjoy the process of making his work but his joy comes from other people seeing it. xx

      Delete
  5. What a lovely day. Willard sounds like a very nice chap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fascinating to see his work. We were probably only in there about 30 minutes and we went round three times but it was definitely worth the visit. He is a lovely man and was happy to answer any questions. He was very much part of his exhibition. xx

      Delete
  6. Looks to be a fascinating exhibition. And you got to hang out with the sculptor! Now that's what I call great timing. And yes, I know what you mean about the sound of mass drums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brilliant. Just creating a figure would be fantastic, but then he goes on to paint belts and buckles and buttons and all manner of intricacies. It's beyond talent in a way if you know what I mean.

      The drums gave me goosebumps. Thomas loved them so I asked if he wanted to learn but he said No. Shame really.... or maybe not! xx

      Delete