Sunday, 1 May 2016

Shopping Success

I was up and in the garden planting geraniums at 8.30am this morning! I'm glad I got them done as it's rained most of the day since. I can't do anything outside without my little friend joining me. She even comes with me to peg the washing out. We've bought decking stain and shed paint, we're just waiting for some good weather now and our annual garden spruce up can take place. 
After a yummy cooked breakfast made by the man of the house, I had another sewing session and made three more taggies. 
The shopping trip yesterday was very fruitful. We managed to find a dress and shoes although we struggled with a bag. I don't want to put a photo of Amy on until she's all dolled up on the night, but here's a little taster.

The Dress. She's never been keen on the idea of a long one and isn't a diamante or pastel colour type of girl, but she wanted something with a little bit of detail and she's always veered towards blue. I didn't think we'd find anything. It can be hard going shopping with something in mind when you're not even sure it's out there, so I didn't hold out much hope. Anyway, we struck lucky. The dress she chose has beading detail at the top, a sweetheart neckline, falls just below the knee and flounces out just enough to make it special for prom night. And it's blue!

Next it was the shoes. A whole remit of 'nots' covered these. Not too high, not too low, not uncomfortable, not sparkly, not strappy, not peep toes, not wedges, not expensive and not chavvy (no idea what she meant with that one, but when I asked she said "I know what I mean"). Even with a long list of 'nots' we were lucky again. She spotted these which were, and I quote 'perfect'. 
And so prom shopping passed without any major drama or hissy fits. Trouble was Mark had dropped us in town about 12.30pm and by 3pm we were done and dusted. It was one of those shopping trips that we couldn't guess at time wise. We could still have been looking for a dress at 6pm or not come home with one at all. 

The problem we then had was the film we wanted to see was only showing at 7.15pm and after killing 2 hours just wandering around, it was still only 5pm. We'd also eaten a late lunch and stuffed ourselves with the most delicious toasties and Victoria sponge in Debenhams so we weren't even hungry. 

The upshot was the thought of hanging around for another 2 hours was too much, so we decided to come home. I was relieved actually. After walking around for 41/2 hours my legs were throbbing and I was knackered. I was disappointed not to catch the film, but no doubt I'll see it at some point.

Instead, I treated myself to a film this afternoon as compensation. I chose The Dressmaker which I thoroughly enjoyed. Easy going entertainment - you can't beat it. 

Hope you've all had a good weekend so far. No packed lunches to make tonight. Yipee!

xxx













14 comments:

  1. ooh, I'm so glad you showed the shoes, I always like to see shoes. And I approve. Mainly because I have something similar in bright pink!

    Sounds like you had a good shopping trip, the dress looks nice from what you've shown. And I wholeheartedly agree with you not showing it before The Big Day.

    we've had a good day weather wise. Sunny, but still a bit cloudy. When the sun goes in it's freezing. I suspect rain isn't far away.

    Your comment made me laugh! I know exactly what you mean about the questions, it is hard to answer with just one reply. I couldn't do it with the flowers either. I said my three most favourite, but I could have gone on and on.
    oh, not a marigold fan here either!

    Here's to a night off from packed lunch making, though I keep thinking 'oh, Violet's packed lunch' then remembering don't need to do it! I have to say, it's a job that I do but don't love. When Violet was off sick the other week, I was gutted. She was due to have three hot dinners at school that week, I'd got the loot all ready to pay in and everything. I was beyond happy thinking I would only have to make 2 packed lunches for a change! ha!

    have a lovely evening. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes are lovely. Very elegant I think although I was surprised we found any after her list of 'nots'! I kept holding up brighter coloured dresses but she was having none of it. And of course we had the "M is wearing lilac, J is wearing red, L is wearing Pink" scenario so she didn't want to 'copy' a colour. The one she chose is just her though.

      I've never been a one word person haha. I can waffle for ages so I knew before I started I wouldn't be able to do it. I love reading what other people put though. You can get quite a snapshot of somebody from a quick Q&A can't you.

      I'd love Thomas to try dinners. They send a menu home from school every Thursday for the following week but he never likes anything on it. It all sounds delicious as well but you know how he is with food. Plus you're not supposed to swap and change and have to stay on P/lunches or school dinners for the half term. I'm sure they'd let Thomas try for a week, but I really don't think there would be much point.

      Hope you've had a lovely Bank Holiday. We had plans to get out for some fresh air and go boat sailing but rain and wind put paid to that. Mum and my S-i_L came for coffee though so that was just as nice. xx

      Delete
    2. 'Butts in' at my school they can choose daily if they want. Tell your school they need to change!!

      Delete
    3. Sorry Rachel, missed this comment. You must have a lovely cook for the children to be able to choose daily. I've no idea what happens at Thomas' school but dinner numbers was one of my office jobs at his old one. I hated it. Numbers had to be handed in by 10am and god forbid I made a mistake or any child turned up later than that or forgot their packed lunch who needed a school dinner. I think our cook must have cooked to exact numbers because she'd have a right face on if there were any changes. And we had a Mum come in and complain (rightly so), because her daughter asked for a baked potato every day and they kept refusing to give her one because 'they' thought she should be eating other things. I don't know where we used to get our kitchen staff and lunchtime supervisors from, but they wouldn't have been out of place in the army. Miserable buggers the lot of them. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh I loved helping Miss 21 getting ready for her prom. She went against the grain and had a short frock. I thought she looked beautiful!
    Amy's shoes are truly gorgeous and the glimpse of frock is lovely X My plants are still in the kitchen though I might risk the hanging basket out now!
    Isn't it always the ( sodding ) case that when you've time to kill like that, time passes so slowly!

    No Sunday night blues here! I love Bank Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think short dresses are just as elegant as long ones and Amy always likes to buck the trend! They could vote at school for the dress code for prom. There was traditional, black & white, superheros or fancy dress. She voted fancy dress! I bet she was the only one who did. If she'd had to have a long dress she was determined to wear her converse because she likes to be comfy. Wonder where she gets that from.

      Time likes to play tricks doesn't it. A whole week can be gone in the blink of an eye but those 2 hours wandering around felt like 2 days and the thought of killing another 2 hours was too much for both of us. xx

      Delete
  3. I think your daughter has excellent taste in shoes! Those shoes are very elegant. From the little bit you've shown, it looks like the dress will be lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes are lovely and we were lucky finding them and the dress so quickly. It's about as high a heel as she can manage though. If she'd chosen a long dress she'd made her mind up to wear her converse! xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely shoes and the beading on the dress is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MMC. She just popped the dress and shoes on to show Mum and her Auntie but couldn't be bothered to take her leggings off. That was quite some look I can tell you. xx

      Delete
  5. Ha ha, Cavvies, they're so needy, aren't they? I can't even go to the loo without Archie following me to see where I am. I think Amy's chosen some lovely shoes and I'm looking forward to seeing the dress in all its glory, I'm sure Amy will look stunning when she's all done up and ready to go. Prom shopping took Eleanor considerably longer, and then when she'd found her dress, it needed altering so we had fittings to attend too, it was like organising a wedding! She's got another prom this year when she finishes sixth form but we're going on holiday as soon as her exams are finished so she's missing that one, I'm heaving a sigh of relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness Jo, didn't realise they had them at theend of sixth form/college as well. Thought this was it and was counting my blessings! Amy tried on a couple of long ones just to make sure it wasn't what she wanted. I was glad really, they'd have needed shortening and the material would have meant getting it done professionally.

      Wendy is so sweet and loving. I don't think there's much between her ears though:) Her favourite place is on my knee or snuggled up in bed behind my knees. It's like having a toddler that follows you around constantly, and yes even to the bathroom haha. xx

      Delete
  6. Oh Suzanne? What a gorgeous colour choice. She is going to look stunning. I'm glad you had such a successful shopping trip. It's funny how it works sometimes. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were really lucky Jules that's for sure. To have something specific in mind can quite often mean disappointment, but not this time. Can't wait to show you all what she looks like and although I'm obviously biased, she's going to look gorgeous. xx

      Delete