Monday, 16 May 2016

Quiet Weekend

Thankfully, the weekend was quiet and stress free regarding Amy. It's only when she's at school that she feels like she does which is difficult, because half the battle of anxiety is not putting yourself in certain situations, but what can you do when school is the problem. Ah well, only one week to go before exams and once she's started I'm sure she'll be OK. 

Saturday we went to the garden centre. I was looking for something with height and fragrance for the garden and after seeing Sadie's wisteria I thought that would be perfect, but her husband who's a gardener only recommended buying one that was in flower. Sadly, none were and they certainly looked very sorry for themselves, so I took his advice and steered clear. Instead I bought a clematis, honeysuckle and jasmine.
The garden centre isn't far from The Range so we popped in there as well. I didn't manage my rainbow theme but I'm more than happy with these bottles that add a splash of colour to the room. Just need to think about the fireplace next.
Sunday was another lovely day, so Mark made the 3 obelisks we'd bought, (described by me when shopping for them as 'tall thingys that plants climb up'), and we spent a couple of hours in the garden planting and soaking up the sun.
Today I've been to Middleton with Mum for some household bits and bobs, done some jobs and I'm hoping to squeeze in some knitting later on.  

And that's about it really. Hope you all had a lovely weekend and thank you for all your comments about Amy. I passed them on to her and I could tell she was really touched that people had replied. You lot are so lovely :) 

xxx



10 comments:

  1. It sounds like Amy is having anxiety/panic attacks and it sounds like the school staff are doing a good job with contributing to the situation in their efforts to make sure the students take the tests seriously. So much of doom and gloom. :( I am glad you are taking the attitude that tests are not the be all and end all. Will she have an opportunity to re-take her tests if she doesn't pass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think all her exams can be re-taken so it's not the end of the world, but fear of failing is playing on her mind a lot.

      New rules now mean that if students don't achieve at least a grade C in maths and English they have to continue to study these subjects at college. I only discovered recently that even though they don't have any choice other than to do this, they aren't actually obliged to re-take the exam although the majority of them do, I suppose in the hope that once they've got the C they can drop the subject.

      Maths is Amy's weakest subject which is why she has a tutor. Achieving that C means a lot to her as she doesn't want to continue studying a subject she really doesn't like. xx

      Delete
    2. Miss 21 was the same as Amy with maths. Mr 19 was exactly the same but with English as his hated subject.
      Those magic C's are what any employer will look for. Their sixth form insisted on 8 GCSE grade C and above and specified certain grades for certain A Levels as competition was so fierce for places. The pressure seemed relentless right up to uni
      You then look at most job specs. Only asking for GCSE maths n English! Crazy!

      Delete
    3. Good grief 8 GCSE's is a lot. Amy needs 5 and they have to include Maths and English for the courses she wants to take. xx

      Delete
    4. I wouldn't know, I don't think I've done it yet hahahaha.xx

      Delete
  2. Ooh! A nice quiet weekend. I hope Amy is managing to find some calm amongst the stresses. It sounds like you're being very supportive.
    I really love your coloured bottles. My home has been neutral for so long and now I'm always looking for new ways and ideas to bring in some colour. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep looking at my bottles. They cheer me up although I'm a teeny bit disappointed there were no yellow ones to buy. I won't spend much on things like this as I change them a few times a year.

      Amy had a good weekend but not a brilliant start to the week. Although we're in the process of trying to sort that out. xx

      Delete
  3. I am glad that Amy managed to relax over the weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MMC. Her weekend was good, but the week so far not so much. It's very difficult to help somebody when they can't even put into words how they feel, but we're trying our best. xx

      Delete