Saturday, 28 May 2016

Not quite what I had in mind

It's my birthday on Tuesday but as we're going away we decided to 'do it' today instead. Mum always comes for a brew on Saturday so cake needed to bought for the celebration. Mark asked me what sort I would like. Just a plain sponge one will be fine I said.  This is what he came home with. I admit, even at very nearly 49, I was disappointed. Quite a lot actually. It didn't even warrant an "it's the thought that counts". Plus I didn't need to taste it to know I wouldn't like it. 
This morning he took me to Sainsburys and I picked my own small cake, came home and decorated it with ribbon from my stash and dried roses from my vase. Now doesn't that look more like a birthday cake and at £4 it wasn't even expensive. 
He redeemed himself on the present front though. I got a charm for my bracelet, (homage to all the knitting of teddies, dolls and babies I've been doing), a bottle of perfume and a voucher for The Works that'll keep me in books for weeks to come.

And the cake Mark bought? Well, he's eaten it of course to prove a point. Just like I would have done!

xxx

16 comments:

  1. Almost a case of having your cake and eating it, or should it be cutting your nose off to spite your face. Your cake looks the business though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for a moment he'd bought it as a joke, then the realisation that he hadn't hit me! He's eaten all the cake he bought and declared it was lovely! xxx

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday next week. Hope it is a lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candace. We are going to Avebury in Wiltshire which I'm really looking forward to. It's a prehistoric site with stone circles and I can't wait to see what it's like. xx

      Delete
  3. The cake you picked and decorated looks very elegant. Much more like a birthday cake than the other one.

    Wish you a very happy birthday, next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. He knows I never want anything over the top, in fact the cake I chose was small and inexpensive, but it looked a lot better than his Everyday Value choice. xx

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday in advance! I had to laugh at Mark's literal take on the cake. Honestly it's like he doesn't even know you at all!!! Men!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he does it for a reaction. He knows exactly what I like and don't like, although you'd be forgiven for thinking he hadn't a bloody clue even though we've been together for 24 years and married for 21. Just thinking how to get my own back now haha. xx

      Delete
  5. Men. Glad you got your choice of cake instead.

    enjoy your early celebrations and have a fabulous bd on Tuesday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth is he blows hot and cold about such things. Sometimes he puts no thought into it whatsoever, other times he completely bowls me over. These days I tell him if I don't think he's put any thought into things. 22 years of marriage and long gone are the blinkered love days of "it's the thought that counts". xx

      Delete
  6. It could have been worse, it ........nah, it couldn't. Well done, you for all the restraint as the mister here would have ended up wearing the cake. Turned out all right in the end, though. Happy nearly birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't put in the post he actually came home with 2 of them. There's still one in the fridge!

      It's almost as bad as the time he bought me a Christmas card with a photo of a 'real' gorilla on it and a piece of plastic mistletoe stuck on. It was the year I'd had Amy and I burst into tears, ripped it up and threw it in the bin. He did get me another, but it wasn't the same. His cards have been really nice since :) xx

      Delete
  7. Oh dear to the first cake but Yay! to the second. Enjoy your birthday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said more than "oh dear" I can tell you! The words everyday value just added insult to injury. Not that I'm a food snob, but honestly! xx

      Delete
  8. The cake made me laugh... you got what you asked for. Honestly, men! Sometimes they are so..... awkward? Have a great birthday tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to be more specific next time. I've a few names for Mark ... all a lot worse than awkward! xx

      Delete