Wednesday, 4 May 2016

It's only a puppet!

I managed to find a bag for Amy's prom night in Bury. The remit for this particular part of her attire was "nothing too blingy". I must have got the bling scales right because she's really happy with the one I chose. Mum has actually treated her to this. She wanted to buy her some earrings but even though she's had her ears pierced twice she's let them heal over both times. It doesn't show up in the photo but it's quite sparkly. Think it might make its way into my wardrobe after she's used it. 

I learnt two new things today thanks to youtube. The first was how to make curly hair for a doll. I stumbled across this by accident and I'm always amazed at how obvious things are when you know the secret. Anyway, all you do is split wool yarn and you end up with lovely curly/wavy hair.
The other thing I learnt was how to attach hair to a doll's head. It simply involves pulling a couple of strands of hair through a stitch with a crochet needle then looping them through to knot them into place.
And why am I doing all this. Because my Frankensteining of knitting patterns was to try and create a dolly hand puppet. The knitting part is easy enough but the fun part is definitely arranging the hair. I even got to play hairdressers, deciding what length to cut it and whether to tie it up or not.
 And that's what I've been up to today. Have any of you been what I call 'faffing around' with anything? If you have, please let me know, so I don't have to sit here feeling guilty that I've done not much else at all today apart from 'play'. 

xxx


12 comments:

  1. Love the puppet, a whole family would be good - lots of different hairstyles to play with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I'll have to trawl the internet for some styles and try my hand. Plaits is a definite. I used to love plaiting Amy's hair when she was little. She won't let me anywhere near it now of course. xx

      Delete
  2. Aww how sweet is that puppet! I think you might have started a trend! If I got paid for all the faffing around I did, I'd be a multi squillionaress!
    Bravo on the bag shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should stop faffing and do something, but I don't have anything major/urgent on the cards, so I'm going with the flow.

      Prom shopping is all done and dusted. I've made a hair and nail appointment for her today and the car is being organised by somebody else, so I think that's it. All very painless in the end. xx

      Delete
  3. The bag is gorgeous.I'm not surprised it may find it's way into your wardrobe. The puppet is so cute and you've stolen my hair! If I had an orange dress we could be twins. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules. Yes I have plans for the bag already :) It's coming with me when we go away for Mark's birthday.

      You are lucky having hair like the puppet. I'd love wavy/curly hair rather than boring straight and flat. If you like I could knit you up an orange dress. I know deep down you really want one haha. xx

      Delete
  4. oh I love the puppet! She's so cute.
    also loving that bag. What is this 'not too blingy' business? Hmm. If you ever wanted to give Amy a pink & sparkle makeover, then send her to me for a week. I'd soon have her sparkling from head to toe! ha ha. Only joking. She's got a very definite sense of style and is a classy young lady. Good for her. Know what you like and stick with it.

    No faffing here today. I've been really productive. Did tons of food prep and laundry, so all I need to do tomorrow is the teeny laundry that has been generated now, hoover, and that's it. The day is will be mine. So the Faffing shall commence! Yey!

    have a lovely evening, will email tomorrow :O) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, she's definitely not a blingy girl. A lot of the bags looked like disco balls; far too sparkly and in your face for Amy. She's very shy and retiring like her Mum!

      I bet you feel great for having done all your jobs. I really should stop faffing around and get on with something in the house. But there's nothing that needs doing urgently so no point me going looking for things to do. Right? :) xx

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely bag!

    And your puppet is so cute! Whoever receives it will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless. I'm going to make a few and send them off to Dress A Girl. The children like the teddies people make for them so I think the little girls might like them. xx

      Delete
  6. That bag is very lovely. And the puppet is fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MMC. It's just what she was looking for. She'll probably never use it again which is why I've staked my claim. Already thinking I'll use it when we go away for Mark's 50th. The puppet is cute isn't it. Great fun to make, especially the hairstyle part. xx

      Delete