Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Appointments and Knitting Project

An appointment came through today for Thomas' leg. Well, when I say appointment it was a telephone appointment for me to ring and make an appointment which seems to be the way the system works these days. It came in the post at 1pm and I had until 3pm today to call them! Typically, the first available one was when we're on holiday in Ireland. The next one was in September. As he's hobbled around for the past 7 years I don't suppose waiting another 16 weeks will make much difference. 

I also took Amy to the Doctors. I won't go into detail but there is a plan of action in force. Interestingly, although we didn't ask for them, we were told that GP's can't prescribe anti-depressants to anybody under 18 unless they've seen a psychiatrist. You learn something new every day. School rang and have given Amy the OK to attend as and when she can. Knowing this seems to have lifted some of the weight off her shoulders and she's already said she's going to go in tomorrow and see how it goes.

So that's the kidlets sorted out. For now. As any parent knows, things can change at the drop of a hat. 

Other bits and bobs we've been up to include wrapping solar lights around the 3 obelisks. The photo doesn't really do them justice but they look lovely lit up at night.
Mark has been greasing his stuffing tube in preparation for boating tomorrow, (don't ask because I did and regretted it).
And I've been doing a bit of puppetry. I thought I'd show you how they're made just in case anybody gets the urge to have a go.

Cast on 15 stitches, knit 16 rows of dress, 8 rows of head and 1 final row of knitting 2 together.
Gather at the top and sew down the seam, then turned the right way.
They're addictive and before you know it you have a boxful. Since working in a school 30 seems to be my cut off point for a lot of things child related.
Stuff their heads and gather stitches to make a neck. Knit an i cord long enough to pass through the dress to make arms. 
Add hair, eyes, mouth and decorations.
Find a child to model them. Preferably one who doesn't moan that he doesn't like the feel of the wool. He still managed a smile for the photo though, bless him.
Just hope the children in Uganda aren't as quirky as this young man. 

xxx



14 comments:

  1. Hi, haven't commented for a little while but I have been reading. Glad to see that things are being sorted out for Amy. I'm sure when all these exams are over and she gets her results she'll be wondering why she was so stressed. Have you thought about the two of you (mother/daughter thing) going to yoga classes? Great for relaxation and learning how to breath for stress management and meditation. Just a thought.
    I love your finger puppets and I'm sure the children will love them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teacher at school had her doing some yoga and breathing exercises. I might look into classes at the leisure centre. Mum used to do yoga and loved it. To be honest it's not something I've ever really been interested in, but maybe something gentle would be good for me. Lovely to hear from you. Hope you and the family are all keeping well. xx

      Delete
  2. Glad to see that things are being sorted out for Amy. And if 'Mark greasing his stuffing tube in preparation for boating tomorrow' isn't a euphemism then it should be! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MMC, we've set the ball in motion so we'll see what happens. Trust me the stuffing tube was all very boring and technical. Was really sorry I'd asked what he was doing! xx

      Delete
  3. I am a fairly recent reader of your blog. An ex pat living in the USA and stumbled across you from one of the other blogs I read. Hope your daughter gets through this OK and your son gets the help with his leg he needs. Love your finger puppets and thanks for the pattern details. Might have to make a few when my current projects are done. If you are interested, my blog is ilikeknittingandsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maureen and welcome to Number 38. Hopefully Amy will feel better when exams are over, even if that isn't all of the problem, I'm sure it'll definitely be contributing to how she feels. Thomas' leg doesn't stop him doing anything but it will be good to get it sorted out. I will definitely be stopping by to say hello to you over the weekend. xx

      Delete
  4. The finger puppets are great. You've stolen my hair again! Glad to hear things are sounding more positive for Amy. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, I love the curly haired dolls the most. Trouble is separating the strands takes a while so I'm not doing too many of them. Yes, Amy is on the right path now. xx

      Delete
  5. love the model in your final photo!

    Fairy lights in the garden. Always a winner in my book!

    Glad Amy feels a little more in control. It is a horrible time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly you were on my mind the whole time we were wrapping those lights around the obelisk, especially as I chose white ones :) We've had 2 good days with Amy and she's been in school full time as well which is a bonus. Not long to go now until it's all over. 17th June is her final exam. xx

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear Amy saw the doctor and it seems to have helped. Glad you were able to get an appointment for Thomas. Thank you for the finger puppet instructions. Please thank Thomas for modelling them for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I will tell him what you said Bless. He didn't half moan about how they made his fingers feel funny. xx

      Delete
  7. Just catching up. Glad Amy has a plan of action to work at. Love the puppets, might have them on stand by as a procrastination ( like I need another ) project!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, no you are not allowed to take another project on just yet! And these are a bit deceiving. The knitting up is really easy but then they need a bit of faffing around with. Mind you, you probably wouldn't choose to make 30 of them! xx

      Delete