Wednesday, 6 April 2016

We're Back

And what a lovely week we had. The journey was fine, but definitely not my favourite part of the holiday, and the weather was perfect. Warm enough to lie on the sunbeds in our costumes and to walk around in shorts and t-shirts, but not that hot that it was unbearable. There is also a bit of cloud and a permanent breeze on Lanzarote which was perfect for us. I've never liked relentless sun that you can't get out of.

I had a week off from the camera and probably only took it out with me 2 or 3 times, but here's a flavour of our week.

This was our apartment. I took this just after we'd arrived. We booked two because the only ones left were for 3 people, so we decided we'd split forces. The girls in one, the boys in the other. Theirs remained spotless the whole week, ours was a tip from day one and I lay the blame squarely at Amy's feet! 
We couldn't have been in a better position. The pool and restaurant were literally right outside our front doors.
Here's Thomas doing his bit for international relations. He made friends with a boy called Onver from Norway and spent a fair bit of time in the pool with him.
The pool was lovely and there were never more than a dozen people in it. There were also more than enough sunbeds and they were good ones as well. None of this sitting down gingerly hoping it wasn't going to collapse in front of everybody. Typical holiday photo of child by pool.
We ate out in a few places but our 'head to cafe' of the day became The Paradise on the seafront. 
And we spent our last evening here drinking sangria and beer and watching the waves roll in. 
We were pretty energetic on this holiday. Lots of walking, a bike ride (we hired one of those carriage ones for 4 people), a speed boat trip, (the donuts and manoeuvres he performed were tummy churning, but exhilarating) and we even made it into the sea a few times as well.
Although typically, we never went prepared. We just decided to wade in wearing whatever we had on, and if that included taking shorts off to reveal stripey undies then so be it. 
 We also had a trip out to Puerto del Carmen, the old town, which to be honest is nothing to write home about but they did have a lovely harbour. Can you make out the bright yellow boat? That was what we went on. It's called the Waverider and if you ever find yourself on the island you should definitely give it a go. 


And that pretty much sums up our week. It was one of the nicest, relaxing holidays I've had in a long time and I would definitely go back.

I'm now sat here typing this post looking out of the window at rain and hailstone and if I turn the other way, at piles of washing all over the floor. 

Today I have to collect the dogs, do some shopping and Amy's maths tutor is coming this afternoon. I also need to catch up on what you've all been doing. So, it's all pretty much back to normal already.

Ah well, it was good while it lasted and it's always good to be home. Just wish home was a bit warmer. 

See you all tomorrow. 

xxx

17 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've had a fabulous time. It's been too long since I've had Sangria while watching the waves roll in. Maybe you should have a sneaky glass this evening. If you close your eyes the wind and hail could possibly (at a stretch) sound like the sea. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, we had a great time and I'm already missing the waves and the sangria! I actually have half a bottle of Pimm's left over from last year which would hit the spot, I just need some fruit and lemonade to go with it. Good job I'm off to Lidl tomorrow. Haha, yes indeed, maybe with a little imagination the wind and hail could transport me back to the beach :) xx

      Delete
  2. It looks a bit like our sea front at Torquay, har, har, but we don't usually get it as warm as where you were! Well, not in April!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you're right in a way Margaret, it could be any sea front, and we certainly have some lovely ones over here, it's just the weather that lets us down. I'm missing the warmth of Lanzarote already. And everything just looks and feels better when the sun is shining. It's such a treat to be able to eat a meal and enjoy a drink in the sun. xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a fabulous time! The weather looked beautiful. Then there is the pile of laundry-back to the real world!lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lovely time and I would definitely go back. The weather was perfect for us, although for serious sun worshippers I would recommend going later on in the year. It was great to wear shorts and t-shirts and it certainly beats leggings and a jumper which is what I'm wearing at the moment! Oh, don't mention the laundry. It's never ending. Although it's not so much the washing as the drying that drives me mad. xx

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you've had a lovely holiday. I have been reading your blog all the way from the beginning and have just caught up! I've truly enjoyed reading all your posts. Bless from So. Calif.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome to Number 38. Thank you for your lovely comment about the blog. That's a fair bit of blog reading, I hope our daily life didn't send you to sleep too often:) Nothing much ever really happens at Number 38, yet there never seems to be a dull moment if that makes sense. I'll be popping over to visit you later on. xx

      Delete
  5. hurrah, you're back! You've been missed. It's quiet without you!
    Looks like you've had a lovely time, gorgeous photos.
    Ha.Warmer! it's been quite the mix. We had a fabulous storm on Sunday night, thunder, lightning, heavy rain. Last week we had hail stones, rain, Storm Katie, and sunshine! Never a dull moment.

    Glad you had safe travels and a good time. Don't envy you the pile of washing!!! ;o) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Sadie, what a lovely thing to say :) It was a brilliant week and certainly a lot warmer than over here. I'm freezing today, can't seem to get warm at all. Hasn't stopped me venturing out into the garden to plant a tub of flowers up, although it was a pretty rushed job, I couldn't wait to get back inside. The final load of washing is in. No idea where it all comes from. We didn't even wear half the stuff we took. Just got the ironing pile to work through now. Urgh! xx

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you had a lovely time! ps. the above deleted post was me, I was logged in with my wrong email........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tess, I did wonder who'd deleted a comment haha. We had a great time and I have a feeling we'll definitely return at some point in the future. Just wish we didn't have to fly to get there. xx

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear you had a marvellous time. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely holiday and it felt like we were there much longer than a week. Unfortunately, it also feels like we've been back much longer than 2 days! It's good to be home though, just wish it was a bit warmer. My bones are feeling the cold today. xx

      Delete
  9. As usual I'm commenting backwards! Holiday pics are fab! It looked great. I definitely would not ever go on a yellow speed boat. Ever! You are def braver than me! I laughed at Amy messing up your apartment!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boat was fantastic, although I was really nervous. Not sure I should be putting myself through stressful situations like that really haha.

      Oh Lord Rachel. Imagine living in a bedroom with a 16 year old for a week. It was horrendous. She gets her own apartment next time. Mark and Thomas put us to shame. xx

      Delete