Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Wednesday Wafflings

Bury Buys today were: 3 books, material, a credit card holder and a worry stone. The credit card holder is for store cards that I use to collect points. I have about 6 of them and they bulk my new purse out too much so I want to keep them separate. I don't use them very often, but if I buy something I may as well get the points. 
I looked for a Mollie Makes magazine but couldn't find one so the material is from The Works again. It cost £1 and there are 40 squares. From each square I'll get 2 hexagons, so I don't think that's too bad.
The worry stone is for Thomas. He used to worry about everything and isn't as bad these days, but he really worries about forgetting his reading book and planner for school. He has a morning ritual that involves watching me put his books in his bag, then he'll ask me at least 3 times if they're in there. After he's put his coat on I have to open the bag and show him, 'just to make sure'. When he gets in the car the first thing he does is put his seatbelt on then he'll open the bag to check again. When he gets out of the car he opens it for another check. And as he's walking across the playground he checks for the final time. I've told him it's a special precious stone that takes worry away and he seems to like the idea.
I received a parcel today. Teabags from my bloggy friend Rachel. I've been sent a lovely selection which includes blackcurrant & blueberry, St Clements, Berry Burst, licorice and green tea with fudge and lemon. I started with a St Clements and it's absolutely delicious. These will definitely be on my shopping list. 
I put all our housecoats in the washing machine before I went out this morning. The weather has been lovely today and they dried on the line in no time at all. I sat out for quite a while this afternoon crocheting another border on the cardigan and doing my least favourite job of sewing in loose ends.
It was quite hot so I kept popping in and playing with the hexys, trying to arrange them in some sort of pattern. I'm taking the bull by the horns and aiming for a quilt. I'm thinking a circle of flowers in the middle to start with and then I'll take it from there.
The packed lunches are made, Amy's maths tutor has gone, the pots from tea are in the dishwasher and I'm off to put my PJ's on now. I'm going to sew a few more hexys, try another flavoured tea, then it's Scott & Bailey so that's me sorted until bedtime.

xxx

12 comments:

  1. some months MM is impossible to find. I'm sorry you haven't found it this time, but your fabric stash looks like much better value anyway.

    The day has been glorious hasn't it? Violet and I have been outside for much of it. I've washed more curtains (panicked, thought I'd had a bit of shrinkage this time, but as they have dried and dropped, all is well!), and all other washing dried nicely out there too.

    The tulips in today's post I don't know the name of I'm afraid. The ones in tomorrow's post I do know more about :O)

    Love the idea of a worry stone. Kids do worry about what we think are the silliest things, but to them are the Big Things. Violet is exactly the same! I pack her bag and I always check it, but as we trot along to school I know that halfway there she is going to suddenly stop and say 'haveyougotmyreadingbook?' just like that. All in one breath. I've always got it, but she likes to check! I should get her a worry stone too.

    Have a lovely evening. Already in jim jams here, in bed waiting for Masterchef to come on :O) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the worry stone might help and he seemed to like the idea but then last night he was worrying about taking it into school. You can't win sometimes can you lol.

      I looked In WHS for the magazine and it wasn't there but the ones from The Works will be fine. I didn't think all those pieces were bad for £1. They're only polyester but they're fine for what I want.

      I'm catching up on replies before I put the house 'to bed'. My routine involves letting the dogs out, checking the thermostat, taking my tablets, setting the alarm on my phone, letting the dogs in and turning the lights off. Mark just goes up, gets in bed and is asleep within 2 minutes. I'll probably lie awake for at least an hour, quite often longer. xx

      Delete
  2. p.s good luck with the quilt. Have no doubt whatsoever that you can do it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. xx I think the top bit will be OK it's the actual quilting, but Bless has mentioned hand tying so thinking of giving it a go. xx

      Delete
  3. Good sunny drying weather here too, though the east wind was chilly.
    Hope the books are good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Paris Architect will be my first one. It's about an architect who designs hiding places for Jews in the war, only something goes wrong with one of the hidey holes and his responsibility for the Jew who commissioned it becomes personal. xx

      Delete
  4. That looks like a good amount of fabric for the price. Plus you get a good assortment of patterns, as well.

    The worry stone was a good buy, too, I think. Especially if Thomas is so anxious about making sure he has his books. Would it help if he were to pack his bag under your supervision? Or to have a checklist he could check off as you put in the book? Then he could look at the checklist and see he has checked off that his book has been packed. My daughter's problem was remembering to bring notebooks home from school! I can't tell you how many times I've driven back to the school after hours to pick up a forgotten book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was really good for £1. It's only polyester but it'll do the job.

      Thomas is a born worrier. Thanks for the checklist suggestion. I've tried all sorts with the book bag. I've got him to put his own books in so he can remember he's done it, I've got him to tell me that he's seen me put them in the bag, we've done it the night before so he knows the bag is packed and doesn't need to be touched again, but nothing works. It's just one of his quirks. I suppose if I could be bothered to give it a label it would be OCD, a bit like people checking the door is locked or that the gas is turned off. Trust me, if it wasn't the book bag it would be something else. It's Thomas and we just live with it :)

      I can relate to not bringing things home from school as well. It seems to be water bottles in our case! xx

      Delete
  5. I used to subscribe but don't any more. I do like the look of the latest issue though. Lovely idea of the worry stone, I hope it helps him xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really bought any craft magazines but had a look because Sadie mentioned the material.

      Mmmm the worry stone might have backfired. He's worrying about taking the worry stone to school haha. xx

      Delete
  6. The worry stone is a great idea. Good luck with the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thoroughly enjoying the quilt. I have a loose idea of a pattern but we'll see how it turns out. Would you believe he's worried about taking the worry stone to school! I tell you, only Thomas haha. xx

      Delete