Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Crossing Bridges with Thomas

Thomas had his appointment today with the orthopaedic consultant and the conclusion is that both legs aren't quite right.

His right hip/socket isn't aligned properly which is making him walk with his foot turned out (think 10 past 2) and his left leg, which is the one he broke, is definitely longer than the other. 

He's going to be referred for physio and will also have a wedge fitted that he can slip in his shoe. Lord knows how he'll go on with that, we have enough trouble with labels, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. 

We've also been warned during the next 4-6 years when he'll grow the most, there is a slight chance his hip could possibly pop out of it's socket, although it's a very rare occurrence so I'm not overly concerned about it. Another bridge we'll cross if we have to.

And I can't help but wonder if any of this will affect his burning desire to be a policeman but once again, if it does, we'll cross that bridge in due course. 
When we arrived home our neighbour had taken in a delivery for Mark. He's bought another boat. This one is a bit faster than the tug and can reach a speed of 30 miles per hour. Being the dutiful and interested wife that I am, I'll probably go to the lake with him and Ken in the next few weeks to see it in action.
I was dusting down the shelves in the games room this morning when I found a lonely Easter egg lurking at the back, so I indulged in a bit, (OK one full half), of choccy heaven. 
Knitting was the craft of the day. See how tidy it all looks in my new pink box. I keep taking the lid off to look inside! 
And it was really interesting to read all your favourite programmes. A lot of the same ones cropped up.  Tonight it's 'The A Word' which I really like, but as I said to MMC I can't get my head around the fact that Joe's parents seem quite happy for him to wander down those country lanes all by himself. 

I know it's only a programme but I always tut and think what irresponsible parents. Who in their right mind would let any child do that. And it riles me even more that they just sit outside waiting for somebody to drop him off back home.

Anyway, moving on, I've just made myself a cup of Berry Burst with Vit B6. The only one left to try now is the licorice. Rachel wrote such a descriptive post about how horrible it is that I've been bracing myself to try it. Tomorrow might, (I'm making no promises though), be the day. I'll let you know. 

xx





17 comments:

  1. I can understand your worry about Thomas and his legs, but your attitude is perfect. Cross that bridge when you come to it. I am forever telling Violet not to borrow trouble when she worries about stuff that may or may not happen!

    Hopefully nothing bad will happen as he grows over the next few years.

    Love that box of knitting. I'd keep peeping in to see how pretty and tidy it looks too.

    when I read about the boat, I misread what you'd written and read disinterested wife'! ha ha! Freudian slip?!

    Oh good grief, we are similar. Yesterday I spotted some of Violet's choccy eggs at the back of the cupboard so I cracked one open and scoffed some. Took an almost identical pic as yours too (for my private blog!)

    Oh, and ditto anything where young kids are left to their own devices in magazines, books or tv shows. Famous 5 - did they EVER have grown ups looking after them? No wonder they got into so many scrapes and adventures. Violet watches something called Sarah & Duck, and this little cartoon kid Sarah seems to roam around night or day on her own, with just a duck for company. Even the Beano. Every week I "accidentally" read some of it over Violet's shoulder, and someone is always doing stupid stuff without a parent round to take any notice.

    And don't get me started on Charlie & Lola!

    ;o)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Thomas worries enough without us adding our own worries to his load, so we've played it all down. It's far from major anyway, otherwise he'd be having an op rather than physio and wedges, but you know Thomas, anything that doesn't feel right will cause him grief.

      The boat has taken a week to come and it feels like a year! I've had a running commentary on what it is, where it is, what e-mails have been sent, delivery dates, times etc, etc. I hope it doesn't sink after all this haha.

      The chocolate egg was delicious, probably because it was a real surprise find :)

      The little boy on the programme went wandering off again last night and they couldn't find him. When they told the local bobby he likes to walk off by himself and he said "and you let him do that even though he's only 5 years old" I wanted to stand up and shout "Yes, somebody gets it"!!! I really should stop getting so involved in these dramas, but they're so true to life I just didn't get how any parent could think that was acceptable.

      Just got back from Bury. I've had a bit of a ribbon fest today. Spent ages choosing my goodies, need to get the sewing machine down now.xx

      Delete
  2. I am hoping that everything will work out fine for Thomas, as he grows. Agree with you on crossing bridges when you come to them.

    Your knitting looks so neat and tidy in that box! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. He does his daily run and PE at school which he enjoys but he's not very sporty and doesn't play football or anything, so fingers crossed there should be no rough and tumble that causes it to pop out. There must be 1000's of bridges across the world that people have to cross every day, ours is a very small one in comparison to some.

      I'm very much liking my knitting box. I think I'll only be able to use pastel colours from now on as they match so well haha. xx

      Delete
    2. Our school has just started the daily mile thing. We are building up though - one lap of our school field is 1/4 of a mile so the Kidd its are going out and doing that at the moment. I cannot run for toffee though. I just stroll it!!!

      Delete
    3. I think the daily run is a good idea. There's no pressure at Thomas' school to run the mile every day, they can walk if they want, it's just about getting them out and moving. The thing I was really impressed with though is that all the teachers do it as well. Leading by example. You can't beat it. xx

      Delete
  3. How did you have an egg left so many weeks after Easter?

    Phisios can work wonders - they sorted my back - as long as I do the exercises! Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The honest answer is, I obviously haven't dusted the shelves since Easter! There's no way it would have lasted as long otherwise. How disgraceful is that. But it was a fantastic find.

      Yes, that's the think with physio isn't it, you have to put the effort in yourself as well. I'm sure it will help although the consultant said he'll never walk 'properly' as the way his hip/socket is won't let him. I'm just thankful there's no operation involved. xx

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your Berry Burst! I bought some more teabags tonight! Some green tea with gingerbread - GORGEOUS and some Cherry Bakewells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you find all these delicious teabags. I definitely want to buy some Cherry Bakewells. Details please!

      I've still not tried another spicy chai let alone the licorice. Building myself up to both lol. xx

      Delete
    2. Tea aisle Asda is the best one near me though Mortisons are supposed to have a good selection!

      Delete
    3. I'm v forgetful realising I repeated my teabag buying in the comment on your window frame post!

      Delete
    4. Thanks, I don't go to Asda but I might just have to make a special journey for the Cherry Bakewell. My memory is terrible lately, especially names. I can't even say 'it's on the tip of my tongue' because it isn't. There's just a big blank void where my brain should be haha. xx

      Delete
  5. Good on Thomas for keeping smiling. Bridges will get crossed like you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will indeed Rachel. And as I said to Bless compared to a lot of people who are crossing bridges, ours is a very small one. xx

      Delete
  6. All good wishes to Thomas for his leg and hip sessions with the physio. I think you are absolutely right - one day at a time.

    That bit of The A Word made me crazy every week. And that time when the stranger stopped and was simply concerned that a small child was out on his own in the middle of blinking nowhere and the friends in the blue van turned up and had a go at the poor man. If I saw a small child walking on their own in the middle of nowhere, early in the morning, I would stop and be devastated if my intentions were regarded as suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who got irritated by that bit. Who in their right mind thinks it's acceptable. And yes, the concerned man in the car was in the right, but then he let 3 people in a van take Joe without knowing who they were. I wanted to stand up and cheer the policeman last night when he commented about a 5 year old being allowed to wander off on his own. It's a real shame good intentions can often be misinterpreted these days, but I'd also stop if I thought a child needed help.

      Thanks for your comment about Thomas, he was more excited about coming out of school early than what the consultant said. xx

      Delete