Friday, 8 April 2016

Chinese Recipe and Countdown to school

Well I did some ironing today, not much but some. Plus the general concensus from your comments seemed to be 'just smooth it out and put it away', so I took your advice and the pile is looking more manageable today.

My magazine arrived yesterday and I've decided I'll be making this Mary Berry recipe tomorrow evening instead of having a takeaway, which we seem to have gone off anyway. My Chinese cooking pretty much amounts to chicken covered in sweet and sour sauce so this is a big step up for me. I just need to buy some Chinese 5 spice, which I'm assuming is nothing too exotic and will be found in the herbs and spices aisle, some noodles and beansprouts and I'll be ready to go.
The rest of the day has been spent sorting out some paperwork and making phone calls that take ages; an appointment for Amy's hearing test, an appointment for my smear and a call to the kennels booking the dogs in for when we go to Avebury.

I'm also working through the house doing a little bit of de-cluttering again, although this time it'll be mainly paperwork. I'm not a keeper of tins and boxes so even though these are from the lovely Fortnum and Mason, they're for the bin.
And that's about it really. It's been a pretty average day at Number 38 although I seem to have taken on the role of talking clock as Thomas keeps asking me how many more days to school. The child has no concept of time whatsoever and has asked me about 10 times today, as if the time he asks makes a difference to the answer.

Anyway, there are 2 days left and the school term is 7 weeks long, which is good. Sometimes no sooner are they back at school than they're breaking up again. A longer term gives us all the chance to get in our routine and I do like a good routine. 

xxx



11 comments:

  1. yum, that looks really nice. You have been a busy bee. And a talking clock to boot!
    ah, yes, school on Tuesday here, there is a PD day on Monday. Seems school hols go by in a flash :o( Though that said, I like a good routine too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be cooking it later on this evening. I'll let you know if it tastes as good as it looks. Oh, that's a pet hate of mine, an extra day tagged onto the end of a school holiday. I'd rather they did it before, seems better somehow. Holidays do go fast although considering we've been away for a week this one seems to have gone at a more leisurely pace than usual. Only one day to go now until school - just in case you were wondering like Thomas haha. xx

      Delete
  2. Do you know why he asks you the time all the time? Well, I'm not sure if this applies to all champs like Thomas, but one f my cherubs at work has asked me for the past two years, at 11.30 precisely ( as well as all day long ) but this time in particular
    What time is it and how long til lunch
    To which I always reply
    Look at the click, when the big hand is on the 6. It means it's half past something. The little hand is halfway past 11. See? ( child will look and nod ) so it's half past 11. 40 minutes til lunchtime. Said child goes away happy. This happens everyday.
    Now I've never asked him why. But on a course lately ( and I hope you don't think I'm in anyway labelling Thomas because I'm not Jr. Do I want to offend )
    We heard from some adults who have ASD and one of them told us how they drove their mum and teacher crackers by asking the time constantly. They said it had nothing what so ever to do with what time it was. It was purely because
    They liked the reply. They liked the response. They found it soothing! What blew my mind was the amount of adults who said this!!!
    I too am smear bound (well overdue ) - we are so lucky!!
    I bet the Chinese will be the best you've ever had! Chinese 5 spice is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think you're labelling him at all. It's funny because he asked me Thursday morning and I said 4 days, then he asked me a few times throughout the day and obviously my answer was the same. But at bedtime, he asked me again and I said 3 days now (Thursday had obviously gone) and he didn't get how it had gone from 4 days to 3 days. I tried to explain that the day was over but in the end I just said "OK, as you've not gone to sleep yet, it's still 4 days" and he was really happy with that! At least he's asking me because he doesn't want the holiday to end, rather than not go back to school and believe me there is a difference as we've had trouble with that before. At his old school, he'd finish on Friday afternoon and it was a countdown the whole weekend, with him getting more and more worked up the nearer Monday came.

      Not had the Chinese yet but the 5 spice smells lovely. xx

      Delete
  3. Champs??? That sounds so insulting! I was meant to write CHAPS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't bat an eyelid at champs, but might have wondered if you'd typed chumps! xx

      Delete
  4. Look at the click ???? No wonder I'm not doing a very good job of teaching him to tell the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need to edit my comments before publishing!! I type so fast!!
    I meant to say instead of Jr.Do I want to offend
    I don't want to offend you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No offence taken, it makes me laugh when people mis-type or use predictive text. The context of the conversation can take on a whole new meaning and is quite often more amusing. xx

      Delete
  6. That beef stir-fry looks delicious. Hope it turned out well.

    Glad you got your pile of ironing down a bit.

    I think most children have a hard time grasping the concept of time - I know I used to wake up from afternoon nap and think it was a new day! That's sweet that your son wants his holiday to last as long as it can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really tasty, but looked nothing like the picture in the magazine. Mark splashed the soy sauce in and everything just went brown. Not even worth a photo I'm afraid.

      We've made progress with time, he used to ask me how many hours, now it's only how many days, much easier on my brain lol. xx

      Delete