Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Burnt window frame

It's been another beautiful sunny day here at Number 38 although quite bizarrely we've also had the odd snow shower. The sun is on the back of our house all day and we've obviously had more than we realise lately because look what's happened. Amy left a mirror and a glass of water on her windowsill and the sun has reflected off them and burned the plastic window frame. Some heat must have been generated to do that. I dread to think what would have happened if it had been aimed onto her bedding. So my safety tip of the day is no mirrors or glasses to be left on windowsills, especially in hot weather.
After the usual morning routine it was off to Bury. This week I headed for the haberdashery stall to buy ribbon for the pencil cases and taggies. I love this stall and could spend ages pondering over the choices. I also picked up a couple of packets from The Works and some cards from The Card Factory.
My impulse buys of the day were a game to add to our collection which I'll be challenging Thomas to at the weekend, plus these finger monster tattoos which I'm going to send down to my niece.
This afternoon I  brought the sewing machine down and made my first ever taggie. I'm just using material I have in the house and I'm sure the babies won't mind. There are 20 little ones in the baby unit so I'm making one for each of them. A lot of the babies will grow up in the home but some are brought in if their Mum's have died and Dads can't cope. Regular contact is encouraged and sometimes when they're a little bit older and more independent they return home.  
For the backing I've used a pale blue soft fleece blanket which cost £1 and I've managed to get 6 squares out of it. You can just make out the teddy bears embossed into it. 
I did make a mistake though. I've caught one of the ribbon loops. I really didn't want to unpick it all so I'll let this one pass through quality control but I'm being extra careful with the others.
The house is very quiet at the moment. Amy is in her room, Thomas is in his room and Mark has gone to join a boating club which gives him access to a private lake for his new toy. I'm sat here enjoying the stillness threading ribbon through pencil cases waiting for Scott & Bailey to start. 

xx

12 comments:

  1. blimey, thanks for the fire warning. That's a bit of a worry. Will make sure I keep such things off windowsills now.

    Lovely ribbons and bits. Your taggie turned out so well.

    Right. got to scoot. Masterchef has just started so I'm off to watch it :O) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no glasses or mirrors allowed on windowsills. Thankfully it was the plastic and nothing more flammable or it could have been a lot worse. Although thinking about it Amy has a smoke detector in her room, but still, for it to go off, something would have been on fire!

      I'm pleased with the taggie, apart from the looped ribbon but there are 3 lots of sewing to make sure the ribbons are secure and I really didn't want to unpick all those stitches.

      Hope you enjoyed Masterchef. I used to watch it years ago but I'm more of a Bake Off person these days. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow! That's kind of scary, to have the window frame burn like that!

    Your taggie is very cute! I'm sure no one will mind about that one loop. A friend's daughter is expecting her first baby and now that I've seen what you've made, I am thinking of making a taggie for her.

    That looks like a fun game and I'm sure your niece will love the finger tattoos.

    Enjoy your quiet evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is scary because it will have been made to a really high standard so for that to happen it must have got really hot.

      Oh, you should definitely have a go at making a taggie. They're really simple and fun to do and apparently babies spend ages playing with them.

      I'm going to challenge Thomas to a game tonight. If he's in the mood that is. He's having his haircut after school so won't be in the best of moods haha. xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the warning Suzanne. Thank goodness that"s all that happened. The taggies are looking great. Lily had one made for her when she was a baby. You are a good egg Suzanne! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think about what could have happened if it had reflected on her bedding. We got off lightly and we've all learned a lesson.

      The taggies are really simple to make, so far I've done 3 of the 20. I didn't think there would be so many babies in the home, but I've committed myself now and I want every baby to have one anyway so I'll just keep going. xx

      Delete
  4. Good grief, that burnt window frame is a bit scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it. Amy was oblivious to it though and told Mark she thought we'd squashed an insect and left it there. Her eyesight really is rubbish, which is one of the reasons the mirror is on the windowsill. She has to have as much natural light as possible for when she's putting on her makeup. Notice how she didn't try to clean the squished insect up herself! xx

      Delete
  5. Bloody hell to the window frame - reminded me of when I burnt a hole in the lounge curtain lining. I used to have a blue vase full of water and plastic fish in it ( tasteful plastic fish ) and a fancy wind chime hanging thing with a blue marble dangling to make my window look arty fatty bohemian like. And the sunlight used the marble and the water to burn through. I was in the room and could smell it and then saw the wispy smoke! Had I blogged/had a mobile phone/camera/computer back then I'd a shown you! Your window is much much worse though.
    Also saw hideous scary image results online of leaving aerosol cans in the sunlight on window sills.

    I love the little blankets. Did you try the licorice tea yet??? I bought some more flavours last night!
    Gingerbread yum, salted caramel, yum and my favourite Cherry Bakewell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Rachel, that could have been a real disaster if you'd not been there. I went through a crystal phase once and used to hang them at windows. The colours were amazing, never caused a fire, though in hindsight I was probably lucky.

      No I've not tried the licorice yet, I'm scared! Cherry Bakewell is definitely on my 'to buy' list though. Sounds delicious. xx

      Delete
  6. Hi thanks for the warning about the window sill. It's a bit scary as I often leave mirrors on the sill. Woke up to snow this morning - last week we were sunbathing. Very strange our English weather! I'm sorry if I appear numb but what is a taggie? I have never heard this term - is it a blanket? Pauline xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't put mirrors on windows but if I did the thought of it possibly causing a fire wouldn't have crossed my mind either. It's frightening though, the thought of what could have happened.

      No, you're not numb, Taggies are a new thing to me as well. I saw one on another blog, Snitty Kitty, I think. You can pay quite a bit for them considering it's just 2 pieces of material and some ribbon sewn on. They weren't around when mine were little and I think they're based on the fact that whatever fantastic thing you give a baby to play with they'd much rather fiddle with something as boring as a label haha. Every baby seems to have one in some form or another these days. Mine are the the size of a face cloth so it can be carried around easily but some are blanket size. xx

      Delete