Thursday, 14 April 2016

Another drive out

I've had to take the bird feeder down today. A squirrel keeps swinging on it and knocking it to the floor.  The dogs go mad barking at it and when I let them out Sparky will 'see it off' but Wendy just dashes over and eats all the nuts. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with squirrels. I like them in books and to look at from the safety of my own home, but they frighten me so I don't really want one to take up residence in my garden.
We managed another outing today to a lovely site which could be a definite contender in our holiday home hunt. We're still unsure whether we want coast or country, peace or activity and whichever we look at we come away thinking we probably want the other! Talk about indecisive. Anyway, I thought I'd share some pictures with you to give you an idea of what we're looking at.



This site is in Lancashire but only 30 minutes away from The Lake District, 15 minutes from the coast and 10  minutes from Carnforth. There is nothing on the site at all apart from a 9 hole pitch and putt course, woodland walks through the lovely named Bluebell Wood, a butterfly garden, a couple of ponds....
....and an aviary. There are also big white fat birds (Rachel, any idea?), and pheasants wandering around between the caravans. It's probably as close to living in the country as I'll ever get and it's the first one we've seen that we're still talking about hours later. But is it the one. I don't know. There's a lot to weigh up before making that sort of decision.
I've also found time to tack a few more hexagons and I'll have to fit in some flute practice soon as well; lessons start again next week and I've been neglecting my new found talent in favour of other pursuits.

Tonight is dancing although don't feel 100% up to it, but I'm sure I'll come round when I get there. 

xxx

8 comments:

  1. ooh, I'd forgotten about your flute lessons! Are you still enjoying it? ditto the dancing? Blimey woman, you make me feel like such an idle lump with all your activities.

    That place looks really pretty.

    I know what you mean about squirrels. We have quite a few so have had to change the feeders over to Squirrel Proof (failed, the rotters have tricks and I swear they'd be able to break into a safe if we out it outside full of bird food). One year we had a crazy one, and I mean total bonkers out of his mind crazy. He'd skit around the garden at pace, and often ended up on the windowsill of the kitchen staring manically in at me. Whenever I spotted him I had to make sure my window was firmly shut - didn't want him to get in and kill me - I did not want Dudley trying to take him on! I didn't dare go out in the garden if he was about. Thankfully, he didn't seem to last longer than a few weeks, so maybe he had some disease that made him act that way. The current squirrels are totally normal, and whenever they see me in the garden they run off.

    have a lovely evening, happy dancing! :O) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not played the flute for a couple of weeks so I'll be glad to have lessons again, it'll keep me on my toes and make me practice more often. And yes we are still dancing and enjoying it.

      The site was very pretty. Perfectly kept and very tranquil but a couple of things are just holding us back at the moment.

      We had a crazy squirrel years ago, it must me more common than we think. It used to bury its nuts in one of our flower tubs and when Mark went out in the morning it would run along the top of the fence at him. He used to keep a brush by the back door to fend it off haha. I'm really not keen on them, they remind me of rats with fluffy tails. xx

      Delete
  2. That site looks very nice and peaceful. If it is located 15 mins. from the coast, then, it gives you options to take a day trip and be both in the country and close to the coast. I suggest looking around a bit more, then narrowing down your choices, and going to look at them again before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be ideally situated for a bit of everything we're looking for. We're definitely not going to rush into anything though and will be looking around a few other sites. We're not in a major rush and want to make sure we get it as spot on as possible for us. xx

      Delete
  3. Ooooo where was that exactly?
    Big fat white birds?
    Geese? Ducks? Chickens?? Could have been white peacocks? Lol no idea from the photo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not far from you I don't think Rachel, just outside Carnforth, although my geography isn't great so don't hold me to that. Definitely not geese, ducks or chickens. Wish I'd got a better photo now. I bet you'd have know it straight away. xx

      Delete
  4. That site does look very peaceful.

    Squirrels are bonkers. I remember when I was pregnant with Flo, nearly full term and had shingles so felt wretched. Was lying on the sofa having a doze when I heard a 'tap tap tap' on the window behind the sofa, looked up expecting to see a neighbour or the postman and it was a squirrel standing on the outside window ledge tapping on the window. We looked at each other, I said 'what do you want', not sure why I said this, not quite sure what I would have done if he had answered! He just stood there looking at me so I lay back down again. Five seconds later 'tap tap tap', I sat up, looked at him, repeated the question, still nothing from the squirrel, so I lay down again. This farce was repeated three more times at which point I was so exasperated I closed the curtains and that seemed to do the trick as he then left me in peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, bonkers describes them perfectly. Laughing at you talking to the squirrel, although pregnant and with shingles gives you the perfect excuse of being delirious. Mum had shingles and she was really poorly, so I feel for you even more having them while expecting. The squirrel came again today and looked a bit bemused when his nuts weren't where they usually were. Hopefully he'll find another food source. I can't say I'll be sorry to see him go. xx

      Delete