Monday, 14 March 2016

Tea, Knitting, Arguments, Tattoo!

Started the day with a quick coffee with my friend. She couldn't make it on Friday because her daughter wasn't well so we re-arranged for her to come today. 

It was a quick coffee as well. Mark was off to London again so we only had an hour before I had to drop him at the station. I put a gift order in this time. Rose Poulong tea. Sadie mentioned it in one of her posts, I think it's Rose Poulong anyway, I'm going from memory which isn't great lately. As soon as she said it had a Turkish delight flavour it went on my list of "must try that".

I'm still busy knitting, in fact I confess to not doing much else yesterday. The blanket has come on a treat and I've only a few more rows to go before I cast off. We're going to see Matthew and Sophie tomorrow night so I'll take it with me then. I've also found a charity called Knit For Peace, so I have a hat on the go as well. If only World Peace could actually be achieved by something as simple as knitting.
Mark has been testing something with photos, the phone and e-mail and I found this in my inbox this morning. It brought back some lovely memories of Thomas when he was little and looking at this I don't think he's changed that much at all in the past 7 years. 

Amy has got another full week of mock exams. They seem to do them every half term in Year 11. I know when I was at school it was one lot of mocks then the real thing. If she doesn't pass it won't be down to lack of organisational skills. There are lists, timetables, dates and bullet notes all over her bedroom walls and wardrobe. 
She sounds a complete angel doesn't she, but she's not. She's come in from school in a right mood and picked a row with me, to the point where I've said "you'll have to go to your room". She's stomped upstairs to bed and is now fast asleep. She's shattered but that's no excuse in this house.

I could have rowed with her myself on Saturday, but took a deep breath instead. She went to an open day at her college then into Manchester with her friend. I got a text in the afternoon asking me if she could have a henna tattoo. Because I didn't know where she was having it done, what was being used and the fact she has sensitive skin I said 'No'. It turns out she didn't think I'd object and only decided to text me when she was halfway through having it done.

So she now has a henna elephant on her shoulder. I got the "well, I am 16" speech that seems to have been used a lot since 18th February! All I can say is thank goodness it's henna and not the real thing. I'm wondering if we've had it too easy with her and if this is her winding up for a couple of years of being a pain in the rump.

I can only hope not. 

xxx




14 comments:

  1. No, that sounds like totally normal 16 year old behaviour, rather than a precursor to going off the rails!

    You are getting on well with your knitting.

    Hope you like the Rose Pouchong. It's certainly not your everyday brew, but for a something special and a little bit different, I think it's fabulous :o)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait for my Rose Pouchong to arrive. Although as I'm not picking Mark up til 10pm and won't get in til 10.30 I think I'll wait until tomorrow to try it.

      She's a good girl really, but oh boy, when she's got one on her, she's a right madam. She slept for an hour then I woke her up otherwise she wouldn't sleep tonight. She came down for tea and said "sorry", so I can't ask for more than that. I don't drag things out and I'm happy to move on.

      March seems to be my knitting month. January was tidying the house, February was sewing. I'm quite interested to see where the wind takes me in April lol. xx

      Delete
  2. Eeep teenage girls! Two words. Bloody awful!!!
    She's just trying you out for size! She could have hidden from you/had got a real one! I'm sensing she's a good girl! Let's hope this is the extent of her rebellious phase!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kknow I've got off lightly with henna but fancy asking me halfway through getting it done. You're right, she is a good girl (generally!) and she came clean. If she hadn't there's no way I'd ever have known. I don't know how long they last but maybe the thought of Lanzarote and bikinis in a couple of weeks made her confess. Little b****r. It is rather sweet as well :) xx

      Delete
  3. Ah kids they always get you don't they. My youngest (14) still gives me a cuddle & tells me he loves me. I do wonder how long it will last for now though xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww bless him. I think boys are always more loving towards their Mums. I'm hoping Thomas never stops giving me a kiss and a cuddle. Amy has always been more independent and although she liked my undivided attention was never overly into the hugging side of things. She likes a bit of mollycoddling now and again though, you know the sort of thing, cup of tea made, bar of chocolate on the bed, favourite shampoo bought. Typical woman really lol. xx

      Delete
  4. I think you are doing very well if that's as bad as it gets by sixteen. Brace yourself for the real one once she reaches eighteen. ;-) Why can't they just stay small and sweet? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. We did have a laugh about how she couldn't believe I'd said no and was sat there with half an elephant on her shoulder wondering what to do. It's a funny age isn't it, young adulthood. It might be better when she's 18 and I can just relinquish control and say "do whatever you want". xx

      Delete
  5. Girls are like this 'til about 22! or even 25!!
    Don't stress about the tattoo, even a small real one is nothing to worry about in the whole great scheme of things. Both our girls have small tattoos - before they were old enough too and without telling us. I found being disappointed with behaviour to be more effective than angry, and you need them to be able to tell you stuff knowing that you won't fly off the handle, 'cos some secrets can be a real worry. Apologies for going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, good to have a voice of experience on here :) I don't mind tattoo's, henna or the real thing, although they're not my thing, (more from a pain point of view!) I was just more concerned about where she was having it done and what was being used. We've been laughing today about her reaction to me saying "no" when she already had half an elephant on her shoulder.

      We have a really good relationship and from things she does tell me I think she'd always feel able to talk to me about things. My friend is going through hell with her 16 year old daughter at the moment, so you're right in the grand scheme of things a tattoo is nothing to be worried about. xx

      Delete
  6. The knitting is looking good! As for 16 year old girls - I remember not being a particularly great daughter to my mum when I was 16 and in 8 years time I shall have a 16 year of my own and I guess I will be seeing it from the other side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blanket is finished and we'll be taking it over this evening when we visit. Hope she likes it.

      I'm sure we've all caused our Mums heartache over something or other in our teens, it's probably quite normal. It's just been so long since I was a teenager I've forgotten what I used to get up to! Make the most of the next few years because you're right, they fly by. xx

      Delete
  7. After working for 27 years with kids with 'behaviour issues' believe me Amy is definitely on the Angel scale. Just some days are less angel than others!! She knew how far she could push the limits, that's why it is henna and not thee real deal.
    The blanket looks really nice, it didn't take you long at all. I'm sure ther will be a few more baby items on the needles soon.
    AND, they won, they won, they won!!!! It was a real nail biter. It went to OT and they won 2-1. Now it's on to baseball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations to your GS and his team! Sounds like they definitely earned their victory. Bet you were so proud sat there cheering him on.

      Yes I think her angel wings were a bit wobbly on Saturday and her thoughts on asking mum and just doing it got a bit befuddled! I asked her friend if she'd had one done and she said "no way, I'm too scared of my Mum". I wasn't sure how to take that lol. xx

      Delete