Rafia or Raffia that is the question. Both spellings are used but I'm old school and think a word should have one spelling only. Anyway, that aside here's the little project I decided to do. I came across it while mooching around the internet and I bet most of you have seen something similar.
You need rafia, water balloons, PVC glue, a paintbrush and a container. I bought the rafia from The Works and the packet cost £2 for 10 colours.
Cut about 2 metres of rafia and dip into the glue. Best to wind it round slowly rather than dunking it all in as it can become knotted.
As you pull the rafia out run your fingers down the length so that the excess glue is removed. Then wrap around the balloons.Place on greaseproof paper and leave to dry overnight.
When dry, prod through the gaps with a pen to loosen the balloon from the rafia. Then snip the balloon so it goes down. Which leaves you with this.
They're supposed to be egg shaped. I'm not sure it's obvious, but it's fine, they're still pretty. I filtered out the red and dark blue ones as they're not really Easter colours.
And there is my rafia project. Not as messy or as hard as I thought.
I also did a button flower picture. This was a really quick project. Choose stems, print stems, stick on the buttons. Took about 10 minutes from start to finish.
And you can't have a Spring/Easter theme without daffodils can you. For a bit of added colour I wrapped orange rafia around a tin.
And there you have it. The beginnings of my Spring/Easter shelf. Maybe a chick or a bunny and a few chocolate eggs and it will be done.
The call for decorated eggs has come from school, so that will be my next crafty thing to sort out with Thomas.
The weather is beautiful here today. Blue skies and bright sunshine. I shall be ironing the school uniform then I plan to spend the rest of the day drinking tea and knitting.
Hope you all enjoy your Sunday.