Sunday, 13 March 2016

Spring is on the way

Rafia or Raffia that is the question. Both spellings are used but I'm old school and think a word should have one spelling only. Anyway, that aside here's the little project I decided to do. I came across it while mooching around the internet and I bet most of you have seen something similar.

You need rafia, water balloons, PVC glue, a paintbrush and a container. I bought the rafia from The Works and the packet cost £2 for 10 colours.
Cut about 2 metres of rafia and dip into the glue. Best to wind it round slowly rather than dunking it all in as it can become knotted.
As you pull the rafia out run your fingers down the length so that the excess glue is removed. Then wrap around the balloons.Place on greaseproof paper and leave to dry overnight. 
When dry, prod through the gaps with a pen to loosen the balloon from the rafia. Then snip the balloon so it goes down. Which leaves you with this. 
They're supposed to be egg shaped. I'm not sure it's obvious, but it's fine, they're still pretty. I filtered out the red and dark blue ones as they're not really Easter colours.
And there is my rafia project. Not as messy or as hard as I thought. 
I also did a button flower picture. This was a really quick project. Choose stems, print stems, stick on the buttons. Took about 10 minutes from start to finish. 
And you can't have a Spring/Easter theme without daffodils can you. For a bit of added colour I wrapped orange rafia around a tin.
And there you have it. The beginnings of my Spring/Easter shelf. Maybe a chick or a bunny and a few chocolate eggs and it will be done.
The call for decorated eggs has come from school, so that will be my next crafty thing to sort out with Thomas.

The weather is beautiful here today. Blue skies and bright sunshine. I shall be ironing the school uniform then I plan to spend the rest of the day drinking tea and knitting.

Hope you all enjoy your Sunday. 

xxx






16 comments:

  1. Aww just popped to sadness and loved her shelf and popped here and love your shelf too! The raffia eggs look adorable! You should totally come to night owls and do this as a craft for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was nearer I would come as you guest crafter lol. Although, even though it was surprisingly un-messy when I did it, I'm not so sure that would be the case with a group of children with sticky fingers. xx

      Delete
  2. Sadness - tut I meant Sadie's, but sadness is my gloomy mood today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew who you meant as soon as you mentioned shelves. I feel for you. I don't think I'd be feeling full of the joys of spring if one of mine was leaving home and moving so far away. xx

      Delete
  3. ha ha to Rachel's comment!

    Love the eggs, and yes, it is obvious they are egg shaped. I've seen this idea around and wondered if it was as easy as suggested or more hassle than it's worth. So good to know that it wasn't too messy or tricky.

    Ah. I could give some help with a very cheap and easy craft make for Easter. It'll be on the blog some time this week. I want to say tomorrow but not sure if I will get round to the downloading and editing of pics today or not.

    Love your quick to do picture, I love easy and speedy artwork ideas. And the raffia around the tin looks fab. Very springy.

    Spring like here today too. All blue sky & sunshine, so my washing is dancing out on the line :O)
    Hope you are having a gorgeous Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I bet Violet would love having a go at this, from what I've read she seems to have more patience than my two for crafty stuff.

    I see you have used raffia rather than rafia. That's the spelling I would have gone for but the packet I bought had rafia printed on it.

    Yes, washing on the line here too. It's bedding which I don't usually do at weekend, but it's a shame to waste the weather.

    Mark is off to London again tomorrow so I've requested Rose Pouchong teabags from F&M, the one I asked you about that has a flavour of Turkish Delight. Can't wait to try it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I love the eggs and the button picture. So simple but very pretty. Have a busy day today. Leaving shortly to go to GS hockey came. He is in Peewee (10,11,12 year olds) This is the finals, so very exciting. The last two times they have been in the finals they got the silver medals, which is wonderful but they really want the gold this time. Fingers and everything else crossed!
    After that we are going to buy a new box spring and mattress. We got it down to two choices yesterday and today, while the sale is still on, we'll go and pay for the one we want.
    Going to eldest sons for supper, so looking forward to that. Oldest GD and boyfriend will be there. They just got back from Mexico and I'm sure they'll have lots to tell. They were at a wedding. I think weddings and showers are getting crazy these days. 75 people from Canada went to this wedding. In a couple of weeks she's going to Vegas for a bridal shower! What ever happened to one of the girlfriends having a party at their house or the girls going out for a drink? It costs a fortune to be part of or attend weddings these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice. I'll be keeping the button picture and hanging it somewhere when I next change the shelf. I usually just file or throw things away.

      I love the names you have over there. I've heard of Peewee in films but never really known what it meant, now I do. How did GS team get on? I hope they came away with their coveted gold.

      Any big items we need we always wait for a sale, as long as it's a genuine one, quite often they're not over here. They hike the price pre-sale then make it look as though you're getting money off when in fact you're probably paying the same as what it originally was. Crafty.

      I got married just a couple of years before all these hen and stag holidays started. My hen night was a meal, a trawl around the pubs and a nightclub. We had a great time and it was easily affordable for everybody. It's got completely out of hand these days. xx

      Delete
  6. The eggs and button flowers are great fun, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They were fun to do and the eggs weren't half as messy as I thought they would be. Some crafts look so simple but in reality they're a pain to do. Thankfully, this wasn't one of them. xx

      Delete
  7. Love your Easter makes, you clever clogs, you! Hope there's been plenty of knitting and tea drinking (and maybe some biscuit dunking!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I did nothing much apart from knitting and drinking tea yesterday. Oooh you can't beat a bit of biscuit dunking can you. One of Thomas' new things is a cup of tea and a pile of rich tea biscuits to dunk. He doesn't drink the tea but he really enjoys those soggy biscuits. xx

      Delete
  8. Those raffia eggs are brilliant - and the button picture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MMC. I enjoyed making them, especially as they turned out how they should, which isn't always the case with my crafting! Will have to remember I've done them so I can make some Christmas colour ones. xx

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic idea those eggs are, Suzanne. Brilliant. I would give them a go myself but fear two year old hands would destroy them. The button picture is so sweet. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. I really enjoyed doing both projects. The bowl of eggs went on the hearth first, but within 10 minutes Wendy had pinched one, chased it round the room and unravelled it. If it's not the kids it the animals! xx

      Delete