Wednesday, 10 February 2016

Teddy, Greeks and Anxiety

I was at a bit of a loose end last night waiting to pick Mark up, (who didn't ring until 10pm), so I had another look at the Dress A Girl page and spotted some teddies that people are knitting for the children. The pattern was pretty straight forward knit, knit, knit, so I found a pair of needles, some wool and set to. It's ages since I've done any knitting and I really enjoyed it.
Now, no laughing, it's a very easy block pattern that's knitted up to the head and then back down to the toes all in one piece. But if you use your imagination (I've no black wool for the eyes, nose or mouth yet), can you see something that might possibly resemble a little teddy bear? He's not very big, only 7 inches tall, but I think he might turn out to be rather cute. Some people have used different colours for the feet and body so they look like they're wearing shoes and a jumper, so I might do one of those next.
Bury Buys today, wool and bits and pieces for the pencil bags. 
It was Greek day for Thomas so off he went in his costume this morning. His school have recently started doing a 10 minute run/walk every other day. They finish their morning lessons a bit earlier, all the children and teachers pile out into the playground and they can either run or walk a couple of laps, then official playtime starts. Thomas had me in stitches showing me how he had to run because his costume was so long and tight.

Oh, and can I just add that only 5 children took in pizza bases so they didn't do the craft they were supposed to. Annoyed? A little, but life is short so I'm moving on.

Amy has been telling me one of her friends didn't do very well in her exams so her Mum is taking her to the Doctors because she thinks she's suffering from anxiety. Surely it's normal for kids to feel anxious before exams, I know I did. I'm not sure everybody who doesn't do well needs to go to the Doctor though. I know the girl and the only label I'd give her is 'cocky little madam' so I'm sure the bad grades are just that .... bad grades.

I felt Amy had a good grasp of the situation when she said "it's the in thing at school to have a label. Half the girls in my year have something wrong with them, which isn't really right is it, because it's not fair on the people who really do suffer with things". Couldn't have summed it up better myself. 

An easy tea tonight, lasagne made from several left over portions of spag bol that was in the freezer. I just layered it up with the pasta sheets and white sauce and hey presto. No salad tonight. We've been naughty and had sweetcorn and wedges although I should point out these were between us, not just my portion!

And tonight we're watching Happy Valley. Didn't watch it last night because Mark wasn't here and he enjoys it. I do like Sarah Lancashire and hope Last Tango in Halifax reappears at some point. 

Might cast on a couple of teddy legs as well while I'm watching it. 

xxx

16 comments:

  1. Your little bear is cute! :-) and just think how much it will mean to the kiddo that receives it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily and welcome to Number 38. Thank you, you've inspired me to cast on another one. I'm sure he'll look better with his face and eyes, and yes, from the pictures on the charity website, the kids look pleased as punch with them. xx

      Delete
  2. The bear is already very cute, what a lovely thing you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Thrift Deluxe and welcome to Number 38. Thank you, the bear was super simple to do. Think he'll look quite beary when he's got his face on. xx

      Delete
  3. http://eternally28.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/another-teddy.html?m=1

    I've made these too!! Look out for fluffy wool in Poundland etc to make really sweet ones. Your bear is a darling! I've done a few - think pics are on the blog!

    Happy Valley here too! We love it.

    Bloody school and their bloody pizza base fiasco. I'm peeved on your behalf! Lasagna looks good! Beef stew for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Rachel, the story behind the pink bear is lovely.

      Just watched Happy Valley, looks like it's going to be another good storyline. Don't get me started on that pizza base. It's come out today that his class are doing a show and their song is 'singing in the rain'. All the boys hold newspapers over their heads and the girls have umbrellas. One of these is the umbrella I bought and sent in last week and he's not even using it! Bloody schools indeed. xx

      Delete
  4. http://eternally28.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/a-new-creation.html?m=1

    Here's my first one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the pattern on the charity webpage. They're really sweet aren't they. I love the fluffy wool, definitely going to be looking out for some of that. xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you. I've got another one on the needles at the moment. Hoping to stuff him tomorrow. Might make half a dozen then send them off. xx

      Delete
  6. no laughing from me, the little bear is cute! I am totally rubbish at knitting, I try, but I fail. Same with crochet. But I know my limitations so that's ok, I admire anyone who can do crochet or knitting at any level, because I know it isn't easy to do.

    Blimey, if Violet's school did a ten minute walk/jog thing then she'd never want to go again. She hates PE as it is! Add that on and it would just about finish her off. But we do walk to and from school each day, so that's around 20 - 25 mins of walking that she has to do each day, if she wants to or not!

    Ah, the old 'kids didn't bring it in' saga. It is annoying. Because it's no the fault of the kids but the adults they live with.
    I never answered your Q as to why we had to cough up a tenner for Roman Day. It was to contribute to a 'Roman Feast' and lots of Roman inspired activities. They did mosaics and made little clay pots, something with apothecary style bits. It was really rather brilliant. However, because not everyone paid up, they had to scale it back a bit. They'd brought people in to set up and do the activities, which of course, cost money. Thanks to those muttering 'I'm not paying that' while they ran off and made sure they had enough credit on their mobile phones etc, the school didn't have as much money as they hoped. It was a shame, but not the end of the world. Most people paid up, they literally gave up hope of getting any more money and made do, and didn't exclude any kids who hadn't contributed. Which is as it should be. Annoyingly, I had to listen to one mother of a child in Violet's class who had recently started working (for herself) ranting that 'so I have to go out to work to pay for everyone one else's kid in the class'. Um. No. you don't and you didn't. Totally missed the point, but there we are, she's very full of her own self importance and I cannot be faffed with people like that. Saying it to me as if she and she alone paid. Ha! We pay for Violet, thank you very much. I digress.
    That's what the cash was for.

    Your tea looks good. I could do that with myself right now. Even though I've had tinned spaghetti on toast for lunch (classy!)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Violet's camp, I'd hate it as well. I wasn't keen on PE that involved apparatus, climbing ropes or the dreaded cross country, but I did enjoy the tennis, rounders, hockey side of things. I couldn't run to save my life though, and would be gasping for breath at first base lol. I think it's a great idea, especially as they can walk or run it's up to them, but at least they're moving and doing something, which from Thomas' point of view is excellent as he gets driven to and from school.

      Violet's Roman Day sounds really good. They got a 'Viking' in for Thomas' class and he did loads of stuff with them but we didn't have to pay for it.

      I know exactly the sort of parents you mean. We had a Mum who owed weeks and weeks of lunch money for her 3 children and just wouldn't pay up. Her little boy was having a bit of trouble reading so his teacher gave him some extra help over a few lunchtimes. Mum rolled up with the biggest bunch of flowers, wine and chocolates you've ever seen for said teacher; must have cost her a fortune. One day the Head had had enough and I had to ring her and ask her to bring the money in or sandwiches for the kids. She only turned up with 3 x subway rolls for them. Probably the equivalent cost of one weeks' dinners for one of the children. Brazen is what my Nanna would say.

      One of Amy's favourite snacks at the moment is spaghetti on toast. Has to be hoops though. Don't ask me why. xx



      Delete
    2. Just koi just joining in with the great spaghetti debate - I love tinned bassgetti as its called in our house since a 2yo Miss 21 called it that. But it has to be hoops. Never alphabetti !

      Delete
    3. Haha Matthew used to call it bassgetti as well. I can't understand why people have a hoop, strand or alphabet preference, does it not all taste the same? xx

      Delete
    4. Nooooo, I find the strands in bassgetti thicker, and the sauce is thicker too! Maybe we should just market 'bassgetti' specially for toddlers!

      Delete
    5. Now you've described it I know what you mean. The hoops are thinner, something only a true bassgetti connoisseur would know. xx

      Delete