Monday, 8 February 2016

Pencil Bags and Battle of the Sexes

I was thinking today that it's been a while since I made any dresses for 'Dress A Girl'. I stopped as we began to spend more time with Tom and then of course after he passed away we had our hands full sorting everything out with Number 14, closely followed by Christmas.

Anyway, I had a quick look at what they've been up to and spotted some pencil bags which will be easy enough for me to run up. They're super simple as they're based on the drawstring method. I cut up one of Mark's old shirts and managed to get 11 bags out of it. I'll sew them tomorrow and pop a small ruler, pencil, sharpener, eraser and notebook in. I'll have a hunt around the charity shops over the next few days to try and find some material that's a bit more girly. 
Lunch today was a small prawn cocktail open sandwich, courtesy of leftovers from Saturday's meal. 
The table tennis has brought a competitive streak out in myself and Mark. Our main problem is getting the right combination of 'aggressively competitive v. restrained due to lack of space'. Playing on a dining table that's only about a quarter of the size of the real thing has its drawbacks.

Suffice to say there are plenty of shouts of "mind the cabinet, watch the light, ouch, do you really need to hit it that hard".

I think I'm going to have to book a table at the leisure centre so we can have a full on battle and get it out of our childish systems. 

xxx








17 comments:

  1. I love table tennis, all my family play, and we get really competitive. The shouting is worse than when we play monopoly or scrabble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spent hours playing it when we were little. Thomas loves it. We have to prize the bat (?) out of his hand so somebody else can have a go. You'd be in good company here with the shouting, Thomas gets more and more excited as the game goes on. xx

      Delete
  2. Haven't played table tennis since I was a teenager! The prawn sandwich looks delicious. We went out on Friday night to a seafood restaurant and had all the leftovers tonight, delicious and very garlicky!! Looking forward to seeing the finished pencil cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Table tennis is addictive and Thomas won't easily give up his bat! The seafood restaurant sounds very nice and don't you think the leftovers of any meal somehow always taste better. We went to a seafood restaurant years ago in Manchester and it was lovely, apart from the platter which had baby octopus on it - made my tummy turn a little bit. xx

      Delete
  3. We have a full sized table tennis table at night owls, they absolutely love it when we get it out, which I might well do tonight! It's good exercis too! Though I'm never going to be Olympic standard like the are on the telly - you know, where they stand a mile back off the table!!! It'd be like you in the living room and Mark in the back garden !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chanting from Number 38, Get it out, get it out - and invite me over! Lucky children, our after school club had nothing like that.

      It is good exercise, especially picking all the balls up which somehow seems to be my job regardless of who I'm playing with! We could extend our table but there'd be nowhere to stand to play so we have to make do, but even so Mark's back is pressed against the patio doors. I'm going to look into hiring a table. It'd be a good family activity. xx

      Delete
  4. I like he idea of table tennis in a dining room, I'm sure its huge fun. Your sandwich looks delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes extra skill to play in a dining room! Limited arm movement, ball control, running after the dog when she pinches the ball. It's all a bit mad but good fun. xx

      Delete
    2. It takes extra skill to play in a dining room! Limited arm movement, ball control, running after the dog when she pinches the ball. It's all a bit mad but good fun. xx

      Delete
    3. There's no way I'd play it on my new dining table for fear of dints!!

      Delete
    4. I wouldn't play on a new dining room table either. The ball won't dint it, they're light as a feather. But Thomas slammed his bat down when he lost a point last night!!! I've had the table for over 15 years, it's full of scratches, dents and knocks. It's a bit like me. Knackered but every line tells a story haha. xx

      Delete
  5. Oh blimey, I want one of your sandwiches now. Putting prawns on the shopping list this week now!
    :O)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not something I buy very often but I need to rectify that, it was delicious. And to make up for the dressing I didn't butter the bread. Now how good is that :) xx

      Delete
  6. We have a portable snooker table that goes on our dining room. It also leaves very little room for lining up shots and elbows moving. Hiring a table as a family is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the trouble isn't it. Same as the table tennis. We could extend the table but it wouldn't leave any room for playing. I'm rubbish at snooker. It looks so easy but it's not, well not for me anyway. xx

      Delete
  7. I hope Mark doesn't go looking for that shirt some day and wonder where it went! Gotta say though, for leftovers, that prawn cocktail open sandwich looks absolutley divine. And your idea of playing table tennis on an actual dining room table is a revelation, how have I not thought of that one before?

    Gregory @ Harbor Grill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no I got permission before cutting it up. Love it when there are enough prawns left over to have another sandwich the following day. xx

      Delete