Friday, 12 February 2016

A slow start to the next few days

I woke up today and really didn't feel like doing any housework. That's the trouble with having a housework day, sometimes (more often than not), I'd rather use the day for doing something else. 

Anyway, this is what I did do. I hoovered the lounge, Xbox room, stairs and landing. Swept the dining room floor, kitchen floor and all the bedroom floors. Changed our bed. Cleaned the bathroom. Ironed. Moved all these things to their rightful place. The stairs look like this pretty much every morning, it's a job in itself clearing them.
What I didn't do. Dust (anything at all), clean all the mirrors and pictures, wipe all the windowsills down, wipe over the suite with a damp cloth, wipe all the door frame ledges down, change Thomas' bed. 

Instead I made myself a coffee, got the sewing machine out and set to making some pencil bags. In a rare moment of inspiration I remembered the gold material on Thomas' Greek costume and came over all creative. I also have another teddy on the go and I finished reading Mrs Miles' Diary. 
I flitted between sewing, knitting and reading all afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed myself. At 3.15pm half term officially arrived so this was my last 'quiet day' for 9 days and I wanted to make the most of it. 

We've just got back from Mums who made us another tray of delicious flapjacks. Mark is going to watch some TV and I'm going to carry on with some knitting. Then I've booked the tele to watch Mr Selfridge. I stay up later than usual on a Friday as there's no school tomorrow and for the next few days mornings will start later than usual and be slow and leisurely. Perfect. 

xxx
























8 comments:

  1. well I think that's fair enough. I have days like that too. I structure things so that if I have a project I want to work on, I can pretty much have a day to do it and the house doesn't go to pot. On a Friday I will do all the normal washing during the day, but then when Violet and Bill are both home, I demand their school uniform/work clothes, and in the wash they go, so I can get them all sorted and on a Saturday I don't HAVE to do any laundry. I love that.

    The stairs like that would totally do my head in. There is a massive ban in this house about leaving ANYTHING on the stairs, or hanging over the bannister. I just isn't allowed. If you are gathering stuff to take up and need to leave something on a step whilst you toodle off and get something else, fine, but you try and leave something there until 'whenever' and you face my wrath! ha ha!

    Your little bags are adorable. You seem to be having a lot of fun making them.

    Yeah, for half term! I love it. A lazy week ahead. Well, other than Monday, we're off into town for shopping and lunch. Very excited about that! :O)
    Have a lovely Saturday xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stairs have got better over the years, but I must admit they are a holding bay for stuff that needs to be taken up. Funny thing is as soon as stuff gets put on the stairs it becomes invisible, because everybody walks past it as though it's not there.

      Housework is never ending and I could find something to do all day every day, but who wants to do that. I do the usual hoovering, sweeping, washing, ironing etc every day which is why I wasn't too bothered about leaving some jobs yesterday. Sometimes playing hooky from the mundane is good for you.

      I'm enjoying making the bags but not sure if I'll do any this week. It depends. I'm not the tidiest sewer and what with the ironing board up, the machine out, scraps of material all over the place and Amy and Thomas around, it might be best to leave it til next week.

      Oh yes, 9 get ups without having to cajole Thomas into his uniform. Bliss. Enjoy your shopping day and lunch next week. xx

      Delete
  2. Roll on half term I can't wait - a lye in on a Monday morning. Love how you got your sewing machine out halfway through your housework day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I waited till the housework was done I don't think I'd ever do anything, you know how it is. Hope you enjoy the break. There's nothing nicer than turning over and snuggling back down under the quilt when you'd normally be up and at it xx

      Delete
  3. I love how we are so opposite! I'm looking forward to a quiet few days whereas yours have gone!! I also only ever say five days - because we get the weekends anyway!!!
    You did a lot of house work, considering you weren't going to do any!!
    There's a poem on the internet somewhere
    Called
    Dust if you must.
    It's very apt. There's going to be a lot of grateful young people out there because you left your dust. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell Thomas 9 days to make it sound longer for him! He was excited last week because he thought it was the big summer holidays. Should have seen his face when he realised it wasn't.

      I can spend hours on Fridays doing housework, just didn't feel like it this week but yes, it's surprising how long the list of basics can be. The dust can wait for a few days though, I'm enjoying knitting the teddies too much. xx

      Delete
  4. Found it for you X
    Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better
    To paint a picture, or write a letter,
    Bake a cake, or plant a seed;
    Ponder the difference between want and need?

    Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
    With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;
    Music to hear, and books to read;
    Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

    Dust if you must, but the world's out there
    With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;
    A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,
    This day will not come around again.

    Dust if you must, but bear in mind,
    Old age will come and it's not kind.
    And when you go (and go you must)
    You, yourself, will make more dust.
    By Rose Milligan I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely poem. I used to be a bit of a slave to housework even when Amy was a baby, (trying to portray new motherhood perfection), but I've got wiser as I've got older and less fussy haha. Plus the kids don't make as much mess these days so it's easier all round. xx

      Delete