Saturday, 6 February 2016

Fancy Meal, Secret Sentences and Measles

The plan today was to have a drive over to Cleveleys for a walk along the front and fish and chips. But it was pouring down here and a  weather check showed the same over at the coast. Plus while listening to the news it would seem 7,500 scouts were in Blackpool today, so what with the weather and the scouts we didn't go.

Instead we decided to do one of our fancy meal nights, so we went shopping for what we needed. 

While we did that Amy took herself into the kitchen and made cookies. It would have been rude not to eat one but I chose the smallest on the plate. She made white chocolate, milk chocolate and cherry. 
I set the table up just the way Thomas likes it, with all the fancy stuff, (he means candles, serviettes and wine glasses).
The menu was a classic Number 38 fail safe. Mark is very old school and prawn cocktail, fillet steak and something chocolatey for dessert is always a winner. I was very good and made a salad to go with the steak and I had fruit salad instead of the chocolate fudge cake. No hardship here as I'm not overly keen on chocolate desserts although chocolate itself is entirely different.
To add a bit of fun to the evening I did a couple of table games. The first was 'secret sentence'. I wrote 3 sentences down for everybody that they had to drop into the conversation during the meal. The idea is that although slightly unusual they're not beyond the realms of possibility. If anybody thinks you've used one of the sentences they can challenge what you've said. The winner is the one who manages to say the most without being queried.
The other game I did was 'measles'. I gave everybody a made up name which had to be used all night. If one of us called somebody by their real name they got a dab of red lipstick on their face. Mark won this game, myself, Amy and Thomas didn't do so well and ended up covered in red spots.
All silly stuff, but all good fun.

Hope you've had a lovely evening. 

xx









8 comments:

  1. that looks like such a fun evening. love the last pic, absolutely brilliant!

    Proud of you for taking the salad and fruit options. Says the woman who has scoffed a McDonalds Clubhouse for her tea! (well worth it, especially as Bill asked for a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse when ordering).

    Rain and 7500 scouts would keep me away from the seaside too. More the scouts than the rain!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. Thomas couldn't hold his sentences in and just came right out with them in the first 5 minutes. Amy got away with 2 of hers. She was so good at doing it, maybe I should be worried.

      I didn't really know what you meant about Bill ordering a MM Clubhouse until today in Manchester I saw a sign for a Bacon Clubhouse and fell about laughing in the car at what he'd ordered. Laughing again now as I type this.

      The rain, the scouts and more importantly all the traffic just added up to us leaving it for this weekend. I think it was the right choice. xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was, especially the names. Mark only won because he doesn't really talk when he's eating whereas us 3 can't keep quiet. xx

      Delete
  3. What a great night - love the secret sentence game. Don't think I would have had the willpower to resist the chocolate pudding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate pudding of any sort is my least favourite choice. I can eat it but I wouldn't choose it. The secret sentence game was fun, Amy was very good, Thomas couldn't hold his in and just blurted them out. Measles was the funniest, must remember that one for another time. xx

      Delete
  4. Hahahahahahahahaaaa measles is the best ever game and I'm stealing it to use at school!!!
    Love the photo!
    It's really horrible and blustery on the coast so you did choose wisely! My friends kids were at Blackpool for the scout/cub thing. Such a shame they had rotten weather. I'm pretty sure they were taking over the Pleasurebeach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really funny and it's surprising how many slip ups you make. I bet the scouts had a fantastic time and didn't give two hoots about the weather. Feel a little bit for all their helpers though. I take my hat of to everybody who volunteers to do something with children especially a visit to Blackpool Pleasure Beach. xx

      Delete