Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Dunelm, Note C & Money Tin

Tuesday means flute lesson. My niece was very impressed with my rendition of Merrily We Roll Along and sent me home with some new tunes to master. I now know C, F and E although I've been told to only concentrate on notes B, A, G & C this week. I also have to work on getting a good note and reading the music and beats correctly. We did 10 minutes of theory as well which I think I'll enjoy learning as much as the flute. 
After yesterdays dismal photos of the tulips and hyacinth I thought I'd pop this on. Flowers that are the right colour, right shape and stood up as they should be. Excellent!
I put £8 in my save the difference tin today. The dog food I buy is usually £7 per bag but was on offer at £5 so I bought four of them.
A morning trip to Dunelm resulted in some cushion inners for Mum and these bits for me. A new cup and saucer, an hourglass and some gold ribbon for Thomas' Greek costume which I'll have to get down to sorting out this week. The hourglass is something I just fancied and is on the fireplace. I'm still looking for a couple of bits to go with it. I'm toying with the idea of a 'time' theme, but not sure yet. 
Mrs Miles' diary is proving to be a good read. As well as her entries there are footnotes, so when she writes "heard Hitler's speech at 2pm", the gist of the speech is explained. Which means as well as reading about the war from her point of view, a bit of background information is thrown in which is interesting.

And other bits and pieces today included picking up my prescription, making a curry for tea, a bit of jigsaw, some housework, washing and ironing. 

It's all exciting stuff. 

xxx














12 comments:

  1. you can't go wrong with Daffs! Jolly little fellows.

    I love that timer. A time theme is such fun! You must do it. Love the cup & saucer. I have bedlinen from Dunelm in that design, I think it's so pretty. I nearly bought a cup & saucer in Wilko yesterday but restrained. I've been buying too many mugs and cups and glasses lately. Need to calm it a bit now!

    Sounds like you are getting on a treat with the flute. It helps that you enjoy it. Which sounds like an obvious thing, but it's true. If the genuine enjoyment isn't there you can't learn something new. Does that make sense? I know what I mean anyway!

    I can't be doing with footnotes in books. I know it's a good idea & helpful, but it irritates me beyond belief. I had a really good book about the assassination, but it was so riddled with little numbers and notes to go with it that I had to give up. I tried ignoring them but found it impossible. So now, if I find a book with the rotten things I have to put it back because I know I won't be able to read it. Shame :o/

    Have a lovely evening xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean about enjoying doing something and I also know exactly what you mean about footnotes. They're certainly interrupting my flow when I'm reading because every time I come across a * or + I have to break off and read the bit at the bottom of the page, then start over again. But the information is pretty interesting so I don't mind, which is just as well as there's loads of them in the book.

      No idea what to do for my time theme, I have an hourglass, a pocket watch and a clock I bought from Haworth so far. Will have to get my thinking cap on. All ideas welcome xx

      Delete
    2. I have a gorgeous cast iron sundial ornament on my dining hearth X I'll show you on the blog?

      Delete
    3. Rachel we're psychic, I thought about a sundial last night. Yes, please would you put it on your blog for me to have a look at. xx

      Delete
  2. 'assassination of JFK' that should be. Not just some random one!! :O) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the word assassination always reminds me of JFK, even though there have been countless others over the years. xx

      Delete
  3. Love the cup and saucer. Good job on the flute work too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They had a full dinner service in the design. Might have to accidentally break some plates over the next few days. I know, get me, playing 4 notes already and reading music like a pro! xx

      Delete
  4. When I packed Mrs Miles diary in a box the other day I thought should I read it again as its a couple of years since I read it. Now I wish I'd left it unpacked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you any idea where it is or are you completely surrounded by boxes :) It's definitely a good read and it makes me smile how blase she is about who she knows. "Friday 13th October 1939 - lunched with General Montgomery's sister. He is in command of our Third Corps, just going out to France". Her connection are of no use when she's shopping though, she still has to pay over 2 shillings for fish, which really annoys her, just like every other housewife I suppose. xx

      Delete
  5. Kindle reading with footnotes is worse, because you have to flick a link and back again. I think Terry Pratchett used to use footnotes, but they were really funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if there was a link I'd be able to ignore the footnotes, but the fact they're at the bottom of the page means I'm drawn to them. I've never read a Terry Pratchett book but I did see a programme where he was talking about his alzheimers. They filmed him reading to an audience and halfway through he completely lost his thread. It was so sad watching that happen. xx

      Delete