Monday, 25 January 2016

Weight, Flute and Gala

There's nothing like a holiday abroad looming on the horizon to make you think about losing a bit of weight, so this morning I jumped on the scales to find out the state of play. I'm 11.6lbs which is the same as when I stopped posting on my weight loss page in July. So although I've not lost anything, at least I'm not starting from scratch. 

We go away in 9 weeks so if I lost 1lb every week I'd be over the moon. But, that's not likely to happen. For whatever reason, (age, tablets, the odd naughty snack), weight is hard to budge these days. So I'm going to aim for 5lbs between now and then. Not lugging the equivalent of a bag of potatoes around with me in the pool seems a good target to aim for. 

I've bought a flute today so I'm now committed to my new hobby. The hardest part is supposed to be getting a noise out of it. Funnily enough I can do that, although it is exactly that - just noise. The continuous blowing is a bit of a problem though. I've decided it'll do wonders for my breathing technique and lung capacity as quite clearly I have neither at the moment. I've texted my niece and my first lesson is tomorrow. 
It was the finals of the swimming gala tonight. Thomas had a practise in the kitchen this morning. We concentrated on arm technique as he walked around! He wore his new trunks and although they didn't make him swim any faster, he was much better than last week. 

Unfortunately, his school came last which was no surprise really. There was a bit of psychological warfare going on this week as well, as the team sat next to them (with their co-ordinated swimming caps, costumes and trunks), kept pulling their tongues out at Thomas' school. 

Thomas' old school didn't make it to the final so they weren't there, but remember how I wanted to push his teacher in last week? Well this week I'd have cheerfully pushed the teacher of the tongue pulling children in.... and held her under!

Maybe it's best Thomas isn't into sports or competitions. It seems to bring the worst out in me. 

xxx















11 comments:

  1. Hope you don't become a dreaded touch-line mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, quite the opposite. It's the dreaded touch line mums and teachers I could cheerfully throttle. It makes me really glad Thomas isn't caught up in any of that c**p. It was a kids swimming gala, some of the behaviour was completely OTT especially from the teachers. xx

      Delete
  2. Annoying. when the kids are being bolshie and the adults do nothing about it. I remember at one sports day, Violet's class were split into mini teams, it was all quite jolly and fun, but then when one mini team won, I heard a really obnoxious dad (total a*se, spends summer in ridiculous teeny denim shorts with his gut hanging over the top, nasty man), say to his daughter 'na na na na na, ha ha ha, you should laugh at them 'cos they'd laugh if they beat you'. Eh? The kids were just taking it all in good mood, but this git was getting all competitive and laughing at KIDS when they didn't win. Can't be doing with idiots like that. I'm just like you, could happily shove them in the nearest pool. And urgh to the sort of mums you see on Dance Moms! Blimey.

    Good luck with the flute playing. Such a beautiful instrument.

    Bet Thomas is glad the swimming is over now. :O) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're both glad it's over haha. His class were in the middle of a PE lesson when they needed to go to the gala and they didn't have time to change so went in their PE kits. That meant he lugged a lunch bag, school bag, PE bag and swimming bag to the pool, and they walked. No wonder half his stuff seems to be missing this morning! It's probably all over the road and the changing rooms.

      Afterwards in the foyer I heard the 'coach' of the winning team say to one of the parents "I nearly had a heart attack when I thought he wasn't going to win". Their school had won 95% of the races anyway. She was down on her knees by the pool screaming at her kids to 'swim, swim'. These are 10 and 11 year olds. I really wanted to walk over to her and say "get a bloody grip, it's a kids swimming gala".

      Can't wait for my first flute lesson. I wonder if I'll be playing twinkle twinkle little star this time next week. It seems to be the first tune everybody learns on a new instrument lol xx

      Delete
    2. We had a Dad like that at the old school. Typical amateur body builder, concentrates on his top half but forgets he has legs. So big on top but skinny from the waist down. He would wear eye watering shorts that meant he had this big bulge at the front, and then a really skimpy vest that show- cased his muscles but meant his nipples were always on display! He thought he was wonderful. xx

      Delete
    3. ew! seems Vile Dads are everywhere!

      Thank you for your comment. yes, that is Florence's silverware. Spent time cleaning some of it up yesterday, couldn't be faffed to do it all she had a lot. She probably also had staff to do it for her.
      And the thing you wondered was a flour shaker is my Rose Pouchong tea caddy from Fortnum's.
      https://www.fortnumandmason.com/products/rose-pouchong-tea
      You'd like it, it's very Turkish Delight. Unusual in a very fabulous way. :O) xxx

      Delete
    4. If I were a millionaire I'd have a chef. I'd love to sit with them every few days and discuss my meals that they were going to make!

      The tea looks lovely and it gets full marks from me if it's like Turkish Delight. Might have to put that on my birthday wish list. It's not something I'd just buy but as a very special treat it would be lovely to try it. xx

      Delete
  3. Love the idea of you holding a swim teacher under water - some people can really grate on you can't they! Good luck with the flute & your weight loss x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Jo, I'm so glad mine don't do anything competitive. I don't mind shouts of encouragement but the way she was behaving was terrible and with no thought for the other children, which considering the profession she's in I found really distasteful.

      I wonder if playing the flute uses up calories. One can only hope haha. xx

      Delete
  4. Your weight loss target sounds very sensible and achievable. Much better than those faddy diets that are downright unhealthy and unsustainable in the longer term. Really impressed with the venture into the woodwind section. Since I was about seven, I've always wanted a zither but I got a piano instead. Still have a hankering to master the theme from The Thin Man as my party piece, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. It doesn't sound too much to lose does it. I might do a weekly potato post to show you all how much I've lost/put on.

      I've just looked up the zither, it's an unusual instrument and looks complicated, what made you want to play one? As children we dabbled in all sorts of musical instruments. I was never very good with strings though. Much better blowing something. No more hobbies for me now. Dancing and the flute is more than enough to concentrate on for the time being. xx

      Delete