Saturday, 2 January 2016

Monopoly Marathon

I'm still tidying things away from Christmas. Loosely translated this means I've dumped everything I can't find a place for in the other room where it'll stay until I get round to sorting it out. At least my lounge and dining room are clear and I've decided 'out of sight out of mind' is a good mantra to live by for the weekend.

The paint finally dried and my 'silver' pieces are on the shelf with the two monkeys taking centre stage. 
Although they only just made it there, Betty Boop was a definite close contender. I'm going to Dunelm this week. I could do with a few bits to brighten the fireplace up and I never think of going there, so it'll be somewhere different to head to and something different to look at. 
We are in the throes of a Monopoly Marathon at the moment. We started last night, continued this afternoon and have another session booked later on tonight. Mark and Thomas are the two main players, both are property tycoons with houses and hotels that me and Amy keep landing on. Consequently, Amy is nearly bankrupt and I'm just about holding my head above water. It's all good fun though and it's worth every penny to land on Thomas and hear him squeal when somebody has to pay him. 
I started the day with a delicious berry smoothie made by Mark but have now succumbed to the Thorntons cappuccino chocolates that he bought me for Christmas. It's not without a little bit of pride as well as shame that I admit I'd have no problem eating a whole bag of these in one go, no matter how rich they are. 
We have also discovered the TV series 'Luther' so that's our evening sorted out. 

A very quiet but enjoyable day at Number 38. 

xxx










11 comments:

  1. the shelf looks lovely. I really like your colour scheme there. And Dunelm has to be my favourite place for objet d'art as I like to call it, though I'm sure Bill calls it something else! I got my lovely twiggy stag (named Victor Doe after a very old fashioned barbers shop in town that I always laugh about) from Dunelm. And just before Christmas bought a fabulous golden apple there. Bill just gives me the beady eye and a sigh of 'what the actual heck do you want that for?', but still lets me happily trot off and buy them.

    I love Monoply but I'm a bad loser!

    :O) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a woman thing buying 'useless' objects, but what men don't realise is the house would look bare without our finishing touches. If it was up to Mark he'd line all his watches up on the shelf next to his wallet, phone, glasses.... you get the idea, so I make sure I get in first with some ornaments.

      Well, you'd be in good company with Thomas if you played monopoly with us. Amy went out first, followed by me, then Thomas, who threw a bit of a wobbly about how "unfair" it was and he's never playing again. He's not usually like that with games, in fact he's a really good loser, but 'money' was involved and he loves his money, so to lose it all was a real blow for him haha. Think I might put it away for a week or two to let him get over it. xx

      Delete
  2. Love your Betty Boop. I have a friend who had to have a mastectomy and she calls her prostheses Betty Boob!! Still haven't taken down the Christmas tree. Bought some containers today to replace some of the cardboard boxes we had been using for the christmas stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad about your friend, but she obviously has a sense of humour. Betty Boob is a very apt name. All our decs are down, we store ours in plastic containers as they go in the shed and I don't fancy spiders getting into them. During January I've decided to work my way through the house sorting, clearing and cleaning. It's a bit of a nothing month so I thought I might as well do something positive. xx

      Delete
  3. Love the Betty Boo! Wish I had her figure!! I too love the old mill of Dunelm! Gorgeous crappery to spend my money on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Crappery' us the affectionate them the HG and I call each other's buys!! He def has more crap than me though!! Mine s all essential and beautiful! I've got my winter Cherished Teddies out on my mantel piece .

      Delete
    2. Yes, her neatly nipped in waist is something I yearn for myself but alas, I don't think it's to be. It did used to be called Dunelm Mill didn't it, they've obviously gone up market and dropped the Mill bit. I love the word crappery and my crappery is definitely more beautiful than Mark's as well, although not worth half as much haha. xx

      Delete
  4. Your shelf is looking rather lovely my dear! I cannot remember the last time I played Monopoly. I want to now though. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Jules. I am rather partial to 'silver' pieces at the moment. Monopoly turned Thomas into a bit of a sore loser I'm afraid, although he did apologise later on (bless him), and asked when we were playing again. xx

      Delete
  5. Second son is the Monopoly star! He wins everytime! And I'm loving the silver vibe. Dunelm is a dangerous place; take cash, no cards, and escape as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall bear your advice in mind Angel Jem. It'll be fun having somewhere different to look around so yes, I'll have to try and not get too carried away. Monopoly has been put away until next weekend. I've no idea how Mark managed to fleece us all but Thomas was not impressed haha. xx

      Delete