Saturday, 30 January 2016

Lego, Cakes and Betty Oops

We had a late night at Number 38 last night. No particular reason, although we did go and see Mum, so by the time we got in and sat down to watch Lucky Man it was 9.30pm. We're very lax with bedtimes at weekend. During the week we all go up together at 10pm which I know sounds shockingly late for Thomas but it means he goes straight to sleep and he's up bright as a button every morning so it must be OK for him. 

Anyway, at 11pm last night I was building lego and it was midnight before we were all heading up the dolly dancers. The knock on effect of a late night means a late morning but with nothing urgent to do and nowhere to go it wasn't a problem. 
Me and Mark are on a little bit of a health kick (and I stress little). We're trying to get out for a walk every day, not always easy with the weather but today we managed to get to the local shops and back before it started to hailstone and sleet.

This afternoon I made orange drizzle cupcakes and some scones. My inspiration for these was the delicious slice of cake I had at Mrs Gaskells house. I did my usual half mixture and had one as a treat with a cup of tea. I was going to set the table but the monopoly board is out again.
My Prima magazine arrived and until I saw the name by the side of the person on the front cover I had no idea who it was. Is it just me or has Sarah Beeny's face changed.
And poor Betty Boop has been in the wars. I was throwing a quilt over the airer and knocked her off the shelf. I could see her wobbling but didn't get to her in time and she ended up on the floor minus her head. Luckily it's a clean break and Mark says he'll be able to glue her back together, but I'm so annoyed with myself.
And that's been my Saturday. Tonight I've booked the TV for Mr Selfridge and we'll probably watch an episode of Spartacus. 

Hope you've all had a lovely day. 

xxx




13 comments:

  1. poor Betty Boop! I'm glad she can be saved though.

    Yes, Sarah Beeny looks really rather different. Photoshop, strong lighting, or "something else" who knows?! Had you not said who it was I wouldn't have recognized her.

    Since you said before about Thomas's bedtime, I've eased up a lot over Violet's bedtime. She doesn't seem to sleep before 9.30, and I'd end up getting all stressed about her not getting enough sleep. But she sleeps roughly from 9.30 or thereabouts, until 6.30 or 7, so really, not too bad. As long as they are well rested and not falling asleep in school, I think it's fine to trust them to know when they are tired or not.

    Not saying a word about the cakes. I've just wolfed down a McDonalds, I'm in no position to preach!

    enjoy your evening xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that should have read 'not saying a word about the cakes, other than, yummy, could do with one of those!' :O) x

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you're not stressing about Violet's sleep and I'd say 9 hours was perfectly fine. I don't believe the majority of children go to bed at 7pm and sleep through for 12 hours as some parents would have you believe. I was the same. I'd happily read til 11pm in primary school and still get up OK the next morning. Amy didn't need much sleep either, but that all changed when she hit her teens. She'll quite often come in from school and have an hour and then still go to bed at a decent time.

      I had a little cupcake and it was orange so healthy right? Tomorrow is weigh in day. Eeeks. I wonder if I've lost anything. Highly unlikely I expect. xx

      Delete
  2. I like the look of your health kick cakes!
    I wouldn't have known it was SB either - very odd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is I love baking. But I was good and only had one of the little cupcakes and I've put some in the freezer for lunch boxes. I think they've elongated her face, she looks much more like herself in the article they've done. Not sure how the cover got the OK to go to print though, she looks very strange. xx

      Delete
  3. I watched Lucky Man and loved the London setting but didn't really have a clue who everyone was. Your cakes and scones look delish and of course you ate one, otherwise, if you're anything like me, you deny yourself and then end up bingeing. Shame about Betty but hope she's soon on the mend.

    PS Did you get my email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible with more than 2 or 3 main characters on TV or in books. I wonder if it's an age thing. I've just finished the Husband's Secret and I swear I was halfway through the book before I finally got to grips with who was who in each family.

      Since going on my diet, I can't think of anything else but food, which is typical. I've just looked at my e-mails and sent you a reply, thanks for mentioning it, I don't look at them very often. xx

      Delete
  4. Oh, your baking looks very yummy! In my mind I had decided that Feb. 1 would be the start of my healthier eating. Most of the christmas baking has gone, and what's left are not my favourites, so that's okay. But, omg, it's only one day away!!! Oh well, it really is time to smarten up and stop eating so much crap.
    garry and I have become mall walkers. We go to the mall (only 10 minutes away) about 5 times a week and do our 2 laps. I got a fitbit for christmas so it's a good way of tracking your steps. I haven't hit the 10,000 yet but we've had quite a few 8,000 step days. Every little bit helps I guess.
    Sorry about poor betty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8,000 steps a day is really good! I bet I don't do half that. If we go the long way 'round the block' we're out for about 20 minutes and we walk at quite a good pace. It's not much, but it's more than we've been doing. Ironically my problem seems to be my legs. They feel like lead which I think might be the statins.

      Baking has a lot of answer for. Sometimes I wish I didn't enjoy doing it so much haha. xx


      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. She's still headless I'm afraid. The glue I bought hasn't worked so I'll have to get some decent stuff. She's too nice not to mend and I don't think the join will show so it's worth doing. xx

      Delete
  6. Re your comment. It's something I hide away. Tears now just finding this for you. You weren't to know BC it was before you read my blog. Humour is a great deflection technique X
    http://eternally28.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/17th-october-2008.html
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rachel that is so very sad. Time passing helps but you can never truly get over something like that. I cried for weeks when I had my ectopic. The sense of loss is hard to describe unless you've been through it, even very early on in pregnancy. I'm touched that you wrote about it and then shared it with others.

      Coping techniques can be very deceiving about how you're really feeling at times, sometimes at too much of a cost re. letting things build up to the point of no return if you know what I mean. Big Hugs xx

      Delete