Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Keeping Hold Of Some Things

It's been hard work today moving furniture, lifting the carpet and underlay, going to the tip and sorting wires out. But the wire job was worth doing because all these which were behind the TV are going as we don't need them any more. Mind you there's still the same amount again that need to go back, but what can you do? All this 21st century technology seems to call for endless wires in homes these days. We even had 3 long wires that weren't plugged into anything! Think the Virgin/BT man must have left them there. 
Anyway, we have new carpet, new side tables, new cushions, new lamps and a new vase in the house. But if you don't mind I'll save the photo for tomorrow when the TV stand and coffee table arrive.

While the carpet man was here I cleared the first shelf of the airing cupboard and asked him to fit an off cut in there for me. As much as I'd love my airing cupboard to be full of fluffy towels and luxurious bed linen and nothing else, I have to remind myself that 4 people actually live in this house, so necessities such as toilet roll and cleaning products are very much needed.
These two shelves are for another day. The boiler used to be in here and goodness knows where all this stuff would go if we hadn't moved it. Please somebody, tell me you have an airing cupboard in as bad a state as mine. I don't mind if you lie, just make me feel better.
And as much as I'm into Project January there are some things that I simply cannot throw away. This is one of them, a blanket I knitted for Amy while I was pregnant. It wasn't a good pregnancy, from 16 weeks I had to attend ante-natal day care twice a week and several times I was admitted to hospital from there. I also spent around a month in hospital before she was born, one month early by emergency section.  

In between 'living' at hospital I would knit this blanket, praying she would arrive safely so it could be used. So, this has been folded and put back in the airing cupboard, where considering it hasn't had any special treatment, been wrapped in tissue paper or even washed, seems to have survived remarkably well. 

xxx


15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blanket. You certainly wouldn't want to get rid of it anyway. Thankfully all was well for you. It must have been such a difficult time. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No I couldn't let the blanket go. Yes, it all went well in the end and she arrived safely and loudly weighting 5lb 6oz. xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It would be lovely to see a future baby wrapped up in it. My nanna knitted one for my sister's first baby. She used it for all 4 of her children and now the grandchildren. xx

      Delete
  3. My airing cupboard is on my list of things to do, it has got some fluffy towels in there (but a lot of c*** as well). I'm with you on the wires - they drive me crazy, I get quite obsessive about hiding them. What a beautiful blanket, that is absolutely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wires are the one thing I really hate with a passion. Can't be doing with them, they drive me mad. The new cabinet was bought specifically so the wires wouldn't be on show.

      Yes, the blanket is definitely something I can't bring myself to throw away. xx

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful blanket Suzanne and what a beautiful story behind it X I don't have an airing cupboard, but the HG built a huge walk in cupboard on the top of the stairs. I say 'walk in' . It's more of an open the door and get a toenail in! Supposedly originally for my bedding and towels and ironing board etc. My towels are squeezed on two shelves. Theirs golf crap in there. Books on golf and fishing. Etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh I know that feeling so well. Mark loves filling any space I create with his c**p. I've no idea why his toolbox is in the airing cupboard, especially as he hardly uses it and yet it's full of stuff. For the amount of diy he does all he needs is a hammer, screwdriver, saw, nails and screws. The male species is OK but they do tend to encroach on one's life haha. xx

      Delete
  5. Yes my airing cupboard is a shocking state I'm scared to go in there so leave a pile of towels folded up on the landing. What a pretty blanket xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jo and welcome to Number 38. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with an embarrassing airing cupboard. I think your idea of not opening the door and leaving stuff on the landing is pretty inspired!

      Thank you, the blanket will be 16 years old in February :) Only seems like yesterday when I sat here like a beached whale knitting it. xx

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blimey, there's no stopping you, is there? Wish I wasn't so easily distracted (I have sorted a couple of cupboards, only little ones, but still) and had even a tiny bit of your motivation. That wires thing gets to me, too. I'm sure there must be a way of making them less obvious. Of course your blanket has to stay. It has its own special story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well two little cupboards sorted is better than no little cupboards sorted. I think you just have to be in the mood and if you've just cleared your Aunt's house you might feel like I did after going through Tom's. The last thing I felt like doing was going through all my own stuff.

      Our 'end wardrobe' will be the biggest test. It's got a load of 'memory' stuff in there which I probably won't be able to get rid of. But if it's got to stay it's going in nice boxes. I bought 2 today, one for photos and one for Tom's things. xx

      Delete
  8. aw, that blanket is just beautiful. And what memories it holds.

    My airing cupboard is choc-a-block. Full of bed linens and towels, and a few baby clothes that I don't want to part with. It's very busy. And at the bottom I too have spare bubble baths and loo roll. Just last week I had a mini sort out of it so I could put away festive bed linen and jim jams, but it needs a proper sort out soon. I'm just not in the mood right now so I'm going to do it next week.

    And wires! I swear they breed. When sorting the drawers I found a glut of wires and just chucked them out. No idea what they were for or why I was keeping them!

    Thank you for your comment. Yes, I think Bill was pleased I sorted things out before he came home, plus, it was raining by that time, can you imagine the Laurel & Hardy style drama that would have created?!
    :O)
    x
    p.s excited to see your new goodies! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does hold a lot of memories. At around 30 weeks they thought they might have to deliver her so every week was an added bonus and knitting the blanket gave me something to think about instead of worrying. Well that was the theory, not that it really worked lol.

      I'm so glad to hear there are airing cupboards out there just like mine. I make the mistake of holding wires up that I find at the back of cupboards and asking Mark "do we need this". The answer is always, "best keep it just in case". They've been in there for years so no idea why he thinks we might need them now.

      Haha, if it was raining I can definitely understand why Bill was pleased. Our furniture arrived today and suddenly Mark thinks I'm a 16 stone navi that can lift the same weight as him. We were like the Chuckle brothers "to me, to you, to me, to you". In between me laughing and nearly wetting my pants that is! xx

      Delete