Thursday, 21 January 2016

Dentist, Hyacinths, Flute and Plain Cruel

Thomas had a filling today. I booked an early appointment, I couldn't bear the thought of him sat at school all day worrying about it. I wasn't sure how he'd be but we went prepared with headphones and music. I've been going to her for years and she's known Amy and Thomas since they were born. She's firm but kind and won't do anything the children aren't happy with. That's not to say she isn't able to make an objective judgement on whether they're just playing me up or not! 

Anyway, Thomas was brilliant. He jumped into the chair and after a couple of squirms while the injection was being administered, simply lay there with his headphones on for the 20 minutes it took to do the job. I was so proud of him. Afterwards, when I asked him what he'd listened to he said "nothing, I forgot to turn it on and I didn't want to move". Bless him. At least the headphones worked in drowning out all the noise ....and her! Every time she spoke to him he completely ignored her! 

He declared himself too old for a sticker, so came away with a small tube of toothpaste in each pocket instead and another life experience under his belt.

On the way home we went to Lidl for the weekly shop. He never comes shopping and really enjoys it when he does. They had hyacinths this week so these went into the trolley along with a bunch of pink tulips.
Back home, Mark offered to make me a sandwich for lunch. If I'd known he was going to produce this I'd have said yes. The man most certainly can, when he wants to.
I'm in the process of researching flutes. One of the things on my 2016 list is to learn how to play an instrument. I can read music at a basic level from my school days of recorder club, organ lessons and dabbling in the violin, guitar and cello so that will help. I've always fancied having a go at the flute and the added bonus is my niece plays it and will give me a few lessons. 

Thomas has just shown me a youtube clip of a little boy who accidentally walked out of a restaurant with a cup. His mother is telling him she's phoning the police and he's going to jail. The poor child is hysterical. I really don't get this craze of upsetting your children so you can post their reaction for strangers to laugh at. In fact, I think it's cruel. Is it just me that doesn't see the funny side or am I being over-sensitive?

xxx









14 comments:

  1. no you are not over-sensitive, that's an extremely cruel thing to do. bad enough to scare the life out of your own child, but then to stick it online for everyone to laugh at for all eternity? That's just vile. I don't understand it myself. I'd never do that to Violet. I want her to blossom and feel confident, not make her feel stupid.

    love those tulips. Such a pretty colour.

    And well done Thomas! I feel proud of him too :o) I dread the day Violet has her first filling, she'll be distraught. Tomorrow she is having a visit to the optician, at her request. Nothing wrong with her eyes, she just wanted to have the experience! I've told her that if they do pick up on a problem and she ends up wearing glasses, not to start kicking off and crying about it!

    I'm coming round yours next time Marks makes lunch, looks good.
    :O) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poor boy was really distressed. I just don't get it at all. Thomas types in things like 10 funniest animals, or 10 funniest falls so it's obviously listed under something 'funny', I just didn't think it was.

      Let's hope Violet doesn't need a filling any time soon or ever in fact. I don't know anybody who doesn't feel nervous about the dentist, my Mum is petrified of going, in fact she doesn't go and neither does Mark.

      She reminds me of Amy when she was younger. She was desperate for glasses and her wish came true, she's got really bad eyesight.

      I booked an appointment for Thomas a couple of years ago because he started squinting a lot but his eyes were fine. They did find out he was colour blind though. I remember having eye tests at school which they don't do now, so I think every child should have a test.

      I'm definitely putting an order in next time Mark makes a sandwich. I missed out today. xx

      Delete
  2. p.s was going through blog posts from last year & found an airing cupboard pic that I thought you might laugh at. And this is AFTER tidying up, so you can imagine what sort of state it gets in!!

    http://alifeintheenglishrain.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/full-and-floral.html

    :O) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I've just had a look, it is a little tight isn't it. But as long as you know what's in there and where everything is that's the main thing. It's when you start finding endless cans of shaving foam and more toothbrushes than you know what to do with that it becomes a problem! xx

      Delete
  3. Well done Thomas though I did laugh when he revealed there was no music playing!! Mmmm that sandwich looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does doens't it. I expected him to come out with a limp cheese sarnie, not something like that. I'll know next year though when he asks me! What is Thomas like? He had plenty of time to say it wasn't switched on but I think as soon as he lay down pure fear of what was about to happen induced temporary paralysis lol. He was really good, so proud of him. xx

      Delete
  4. Good lad Thomas! I listened to a murder mystery last time I as in the Dentist. It made me wonder if there were any better stories for dental work... Marathon Man, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd taken something with me when I had my 2 fillings last year, I was in the chair about 40 minutes. It doesn't half get boring sat there with your mouth wide open, not being able to speak. Mustn't do a Thomas though and forget to turn on whatever I take! xx

      Delete
  5. Well done Thomas! That does look like a good sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's more capable than he lets on in the culinary department. Next time I'll definitely be saying yes. Thomas was really good, just hope he doesn't have to go through it again any time soon. xx

      Delete
  6. Well done Thomas! I'm interested now - were the headphones your own common sense or the dentists I wish someone had thought of that when I was a child! Tht sandwhich doe look very yummy, I'v been craving a ham sandwich all week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were Mark's idea, he has his uses lol. I know some dentists have music and TV's as distraction but not ours. Mind you, I'm not sure she really does treatment for young children. She did say she'd refer him to hospital for his filling, but because of how he can be with new places, people and atmospheres in general, I wanted her to do it. I think half the reason he just got on with it was he was comfortable with everybody and knew where he was. Mind you, music would have been a bonus haha. xx

      Delete
  7. Good for Thomas I think, sometimes, parents fear the worst and our kids come through with flying colours. I love that he thought he was too old for a sticker. Where I go they have an entire pediatric department. I've seen the little treats area that the kids can choose from. There's something for kids of all ages, older kids can get a yoyo or pencils, erasers etc. Glad he enjoyed the shopping too.
    I love the tulips they are so pretty. I bought an amaryllis bulb after new years 1/2 price and it's going to flower any day now.
    Hope you enjoy learning to play the flute. DS2 used to play but I don't think he has for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit on the way I was thinking, this is a complete waste of time and we're going to end up being referred to hospital, so I was amazed at how smoothly it all went. The children's department sounds a great idea. We're lucky to get a dentist in the UK so such niceties aren't really aren't expected over here lol.

      I'm still researching the flute, the Yamaha ones which my niece has recommended are very expensive. I wasn't wanting to spend that much really. Will have to keep looking.

      Mum had an amaryllis a couple of years ago, it was beautiful. xx

      Delete