Saturday, 9 January 2016

Cake, Holidays and Lantern Litter

No January Project photos today. I'm having a break, although no doubt I'll have to start from scratch after Amy and Thomas have been home for the weekend.

Instead I made a chocolate cake for afternoon tea tomorrow. I did a 4oz mixture and made half a cake which is enough for everybody to have a slice. I'll also rustle up some scones tomorrow and there's still Christmas cake left so that's plenty to choose from.
A Chinese lantern landed in our tree last night. It looks a right mess wafting around up there, but even more annoying is Wendy won't stop barking at it when she goes out. Mark got the ladders and the prop and had a go at knocking it down. He got half of it but the other half with the wire on is still up there. And Wendy is still barking.
Mum's car wouldn't start so I went and got her and brought her down for a brew. 

We're in the middle of another Monopoly Marathon and Thomas seems to be winning so far. He's got a load of houses and a stack of money.

We've decided (99%) that Ireland will be our holiday destination this year so have been having a look on line. Quite fancy kissing the Blarney Stone and a few Guinness. I've never been to Ireland and it was one of my places to go on my New Year list, so I'm very happy.

And that's been my Saturday. Hope you've all enjoyed your day. It's cold, wet and windy here so apart from getting Mum I was glad to stay in. 

xxx








7 comments:

  1. I hope the lantern comes down overnight. How annoying. By the way, I wouldn't wish my ladder of death on you, it's an evil thing. You think you've got it all set up safely, climb up, then the rotten swine will tilt to one side and try to chuck you off. Your ladder looks much safer.

    That cake looks good. what a fab idea to make half a cake. I should do that, we don't always eat an entire one.

    Ireland sounds absolute perfection. I am like my Great Grandma and love a pint of Guinness. Can't think of anywhere better to down a pint or two!

    Have a glorious weekend yourself,lady xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark only went up a couple of steps but he was on gravel so it was a bit wobbly. I don't think going any higher would have helped though. The wire rim is hooked over a branch. Lord knows how that will come down.

      I want the cake to get eaten and not hang around with me nibbling my way through it which is why I only made half. Never done it before but I think it's a good idea especially if you want to bake 2 different one for choice.

      Ireland is pretty much decided on which I'm excited about. I have no idea which areas are nice but I would like to stay near the coast. Part of the excitement is planning it all. I love a bit of planning. xx

      Delete
  2. Yes,come to Ireland!plenty to see and do here. Will you take the ferry over and tour? Come along the Wild Alantic Way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bluehousedeb, welcome to Number 38. We are planning to take the ferry to Dublin then want to travel and stay somewhere for a week (coastal preferably), then on the way back try to do 2 or 3 stopovers in somewhere like Limerick, Cork, etc. I really don't know anything about Ireland though so any recommendations or pointers in the right direction would be great from anybody who lives there or who has been before. xx

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Putting a picture of that most delicious yummy scrummy chocolate cake on your post is very unkind for people who've eaten too much at Christmas!! :-) Urgently need the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I've only made half a cake, I've eaten too much as well and don't want any leftovers tempting me. The recipe was a basic 4oz mixture and I picked up the chocolate covering at Lidl. I've just had a look to see what is was and it's actually Betty Crocker chocolate fudge icing. It cost £1.79 and I've hardly used any. It goes a long way. xx

      Delete