Sunday, 10 January 2016

Baking, Birds and Booking a Holiday

Today has been another long day. I'm not complaining I much prefer my days to stretch rather than flash by. I wasn't going to do any more Project January this weekend but I had plenty of time on my hands so I did the cabinet. Everything out, a good wipe down and most of it, but not all of it, put back.
I made scones for tea. It was another half mixture and it made 6 little ones, which with jam and cream was more than enough.
Why do sandwiches with no crusts always seem posher? Me and Amy had a couple of sandwiches, a scone and a small piece of cake, Thomas went for no sandwiches and a big slab of cake and Mark moved his side plate, placed the sandwich stand in front of him and ate the rest of them all by himself, but didn't bother with cake. Honestly, he has no finesse whatsoever!
I've had a dabble at the jigsaw today. The sky is done and I'm halfway through the bluebird (I think!) Shamefully, the only bird I can recognise on this picture is the robin. I will look them up but does anybody with a better knowledge of nature know any of the names?
And we've booked our holiday. Mark found an island off Ireland which we're going to stay on. You have to take a car ferry to get on and off and there is a castle, deer, golf, clay pigeon shooting, a little beach/bay and plenty of walks and it looks and sounds idyllic. 

The hard bit of choosing where to go and weighing up the pros and cons for us all is over now. That's the bit I hate most about a holiday, choosing where to go. I'm not one of these people who enjoy spending weeks poring over brochures, I like to get it done and dusted. Anyway, it's booked and I'm really looking forward to it. 

Hope you've all enjoyed your weekend. 

xxx









8 comments:

  1. Not sure why sandwiches seem posher without crusts, but they are certainly easier to eat that way. I bought some cress today with the sole intention of making self some egg & cress crustless sandwiches during the week for lunch. And Violet always has her crusts cut off her packed lunch sarnies. It seems to be a way of life in this house!

    you are good with your cleaning project. I need to get you round here so you can get some of my stuff sorted out. I've done quite a bit of what I wanted to do, but there is oodles more to do. That's where you come in! ;o)

    Glad you got your hols booked up. So nice to have something to look forward to xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egg and cress is my all time favourite filling, but I find them a pain to make for some reason. If I'm ever buying a sandwich it's always that filling I choose. Crusts are one thing Thomas doesn't mind anymore. At one point any food that he held, like a sandwich or a cake, he wouldn't eat the bit he'd touched! Crusts were quite handy back then haha.

      I've no idea why this cleaning project is coming together so well. I just seem to be in the zone and the cabinet took all of 10-15 minutes, so not a massive job. I'd be happy to come round but not sure much would get done if us two got together! A lot of chin-wagging I expect but not much cleaning.

      I really don't like finding where to go on our main holiday. I can come up with the place (Ireland) but Mark quite often does the accommodation bit. As long as it gets my seal of approval I then do all the other planning, like day trips, restaurants etc. It works well for us.

      Hope you've had a lovely weekend. It's been never ending here for once. xx




      Delete
  2. There's a thrush, a coal tit, a blue tit, a kingfisher and a chaffinch on first glance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very impressive Rachel. Are you a bird lover? I like little ones as long as they're not too near me, but pigeons and seagulls frighten me. I hate walking in town when they all suddenly take off. It's their wings and beaks that freak me out. xx

      Delete
  3. I also spy a sparrow and a goldfinch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to educate myself tonight and look up all the names you've given me and put them to the pictures. xx

      Delete
  4. I confess. I'm a bit of a twitcher!! Have been since I were a lass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad you are as trying to describe a bird on the internet and getting the right picture is pretty hard work! It's quite fascinating watching them fly to and fro and this morning we had about a dozen little birdies in and out of the garden and sat in the tree. Lovely to see. xx

      Delete