Friday, 1 January 2016

1st January

Our New Years Eve was very low key again which is just the way I like it these days. We went to see Mum and didn't get home until gone 10pm and before we knew it we found ourselves on a countdown with Big Ben to 2016. 
'The Cat' text at 11.30pm last night asking if she could stay over at her friends. It was a family party so I didn't have a problem with it although there was a very teeny tiny sad moment of me thinking, "oh, our first New Year apart". Here she is in her costume ready to go, holding her tail up because Wendy and Sparky are behind her trying to bite it.
The decorations are down and packed away for another year. I've decided silver is the colour of the month and bought a few things yesterday with some Christmas money. I can't put them on the shelf yet because I painted it this morning and it's still not dry.
I've written a little list of things I'd like to do in 2016. Nothing major, just places I'd like to visit, things I'd like to do, books I'd like to read. I don't make New Year resolutions but I think it's nice to have vague plans and things to look forward to for the coming year. And if they don't materialise then so be it. Life is too short to worry about what hasn't been achieved. I'd rather focus on what I have done than what I haven't. 

I also have some good news that I've been wanting to share with you for a couple of weeks, but decided to keep until New Years Day, just because it's a nice way to start my blog for 2016. 

Me and Mark are going to grandparents. Before you all do a sharp intake of breath, it's Matthew and Sophie! When we told Aunty Edith she looked a little bit shocked for a moment, I think Matthew had slipped her mind and Amy was her first thought haha. The baby is due in July and we are all really excited. 

And 3 years ago today I had my heart attack. There has been no dwelling on what happened, but I can't let it pass without a little mention because I like to remind myself how blessed I am to be here. There, that's it. I've acknowledged it and moved on already to what's ahead, not what's behind.


Happy New Year From All At Number 38
Wishing You All The Very Best For 2016

xxx







14 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you and well done on the three year milestone.

    I don't do resolutions either though I like to choose a word for the year and I also make lists like you of films to watch out for, books I might enjoy, places to be visited, recipes to maybe try. As you say, it doesn't matter one little bit if there are only a few ticked off come the end of the year. I'm more than happy to just go where the music takes me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so happy to be counting these years, although I could do with them slowing down a bit.

      I've not done resolutions for donkeys years, no point when I'd break every one of them within the first week lol. I like having little plans and ideas but definitely don't see it as a failure if they don't all come to fruition. xx

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year!
    The cat looked lovely. :O) I feel your sadness at not sharing the new year with her, but what a good mum you are for letting her do what she wanted to do :O)

    Resolutions. Pah. No. Not for me either. I much prefer my suggestions of goals, things to buy, things to do. Much nicer!

    Thank you for your comment. Yes, I've had a lovely day. Tomorrow we will have a nicer day, it's Bill's birthday (54, but shh, don't tell him I told you!). We have pressies and are buying him lunch. First time for years I've been so organised! He deserves to be spoilt rotten. Won't be blogging until later in the day, after we've been out & aboutin'!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can you do? It's a sign of things to come I suppose and as much as I'd have liked her here, I can fully understand her wanting to stay at a party. She could have invited us round to join in the fun though! I expect the next 2 or 3 years will see more of this type of thing happening so I'm just going to have to brace myself and accept it.

      Ah yes, I remember you saying about Bill's birthday. Sounds like you have a lovely day planned for him and how nice that it's always in the holidays so you can celebrate it with Violet as well. I'll pop over tomorrow evening to see what you all got up to. Enjoy yourselves. xx

      Delete
    2. totally forgot to say congrats on becoming a nan! Forgive my lack of manners, I knew I'd forgotten to say something but it took until now and re-reading blog post and comment to realise! Very exciting for you! :O) x

      Delete
    3. Thank you. Yes, very exciting indeed. I keep smiling to myself about how much their lives are about to change. They both work really hard, but play hard as well so some things will have to give. Ah well, we've all been there and baby will have plenty of grandparents on hand for babysitting. xx

      Delete
  3. Happy three years milestone and OMG A NEW BABY!! How thrilling! Your cat had the decency to,let you know in time and I absolutely adore the photo with baby Thomas on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all so excited about the baby. As with a lot of families these days it will have its fair share of grandparents. 4 'real' ones and 3 'step' ones, and we're all looking forward to the new arrival.

      Yes, the cat is pretty good at letting us know what's happening, although she's terrible at getting back to us if we text her.

      I can remember that photo being taken as though it were yesterday. It was a school photo and the children could wear their own clothes. Amy didn't really like Thomas as a baby (she's frightened of dolls and I think having a 'real doll' in the house scared the living daylights out of her), so she was quite reluctant to hold him. The photographer had to work pretty quick to get the picture lol. xx

      Delete
    2. Just been looking at it again and how like Amy Thomas is right now on it!!
      I think he understood how she felt about him in that photo!! He looks slightly alarmed!! But oh so cute!!

      Ps re your HA, had it not happened I'd not be here!! Positive slant n all lol X

      Delete
    3. I like positive, and there has been lots since the HA including making some lovely friends on here.

      When you actually see the photo, Thomas looks like he's had a poker shoved up his bum. He definitely has a startled look about him. There's a photo of them when they are about 6 months old in the bath and neither me or Mark can tell whether who it is. There's only white tiles behind them, so even the decor doesn't help. Amy often says if Thomas had longer hair he'd look like she did. xx

      Delete
  4. I have to say my first thought of Amy but then immediately remembered Matthew! What fun you will have, and they go home (usually) at the end of the day! Our oldest granddaughter used to spend every new years eve with us so her parents could go out. We always had bbq steak and lobster and she had pop in a wine glass! That ended when she was 18, she's 25 in February. She still phones me every day to 'check in and make sure we're okay'. She actually cooked dinner for Thanksgiving this year, including a turkey, and had the family over. They grow up really fast! She's hoping for an engagement ring this year, we'll see what happens!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, I thought a few people might think Amy and you can be forgiven for not remembering Matthew immediately as Aunty Edith didn't either lol.

      Your granddaughter sounds lovely and very caring. You're obviously reaping the love that you sowed when she was younger. I hope the engagement ring materialises, keep me posted.

      The baby will have lots of grandparents from both sides of the family. 4 'real' ones and 3 'step' ones. There's never been any animosity between us adults on Matthew's side, his Mum is one of the nicest people I know and his step-dad is lovely. I always feel blessed that we all get on and we are all thrilled for them. And yes, definitely one of the best bits about a grandchild is that it doesn't live with you haha. xx

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a great start to the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. We are all so excited. The way time is flying he/she will be here before we know it. xx

      Delete