Thursday, 10 December 2015

TV Times, Traditions and Trivia

I bought the Christmas TV times at Lidl this morning and have ticked off what I want to watch. Call the Midwife, Carols from King's, Agatha Christie's Then there were None, What the Dickens, The Dad's Army Story, Mrs Brown's Boys and Sunshine on Leith. Oh, mustn't forget The Snowman either. As the Thorntons chocolates have now gone I treated myself to some dates. Trouble with these is once I start eating them I really can't stop.
Rachel over at Eternally 28 got the Catchphrase card really quickly yesterday. I thought I'd post one a day until Christmas just for a bit of fun so here's the next one. At her request I'm not going to give the answer until tomorrow, but I bet you all get it really quickly. In fact, even if you don't want to leave a message why not send me the answer when you've worked it out. You won't see Mark's name in the comments that's for sure!
I've finished the jigsaw. It wasn't as easy as it might look. All those colours that should have been obvious to piece together just merged into each other and were quite hard to define. But I got there in the end.
And my cross stitch is done. I really enjoyed this and will be buying myself another one in the New Year. Nothing too big or too complicated, just something similar in size that I can pick up for an hour here and there and have finished in a week or so. Next time I just need to make sure the top stitch of the crosses are going in the same direction.
I bought Thomas' stocking fillers today so that's it. All presents are wrapped, labelled, ribboned, bowed and tagged. These are Amy's. Now she's older she appreciates pretty wrapping so gets the full works. Thomas' are all Santa, Father Christmas and Snowmen with not a bow or ribbon in sight. I've just realised the reindeer are upside down haha!
The tree is going up tomorrow. I'll set it up while Amy and Thomas are at school and put the lights on then when they come in it's all theirs to decorate as they see fit. I might weed a few of the decorations out and put them back in the shed so we're a bit more colour co-ordinated this year. Then again I might not. 

All I need to do is sit back with a glass of Baileys in my hand and watch their "creativeness" emerge while I listen to Perry Como and Bing Crosby crooning in the background. 

Perry and Bing singing is a Christmas tree decorating tradition started by Mum back in the 1970's when we were all little which I still follow, although I think her tipple of choice was a small glass of sherry. 

I can still remember the excitement of decorating the tree to the sound of O Holy Night and White Christmas, then her re-decorating it when we'd gone to bed! Good memories indeed.

xxx

















9 comments:

  1. you are a good mum to let the kids decorate. I just can't. It would take more than a glass of Bailey's for me, more like a case of champs and then I might consider it! ha ha!

    your pressies look so pretty. I've wrapped all of Violet's stocking fillers, but that's about all I've done gift wrap wise. I need to pull my socks up and get a bit more done. Have not been in the mood. My little brother has been in hospital for the past week and it really has affected my festive spirit.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your brother Sadie. Hope it's nothing too serious. When my brother was 16 he was in hospital over Christmas with meningitis. It was a horrible time, touch and go and it being Christmas seemed to make it even worse. The really sad thing is another little boy aged 11 was admitted with the same thing and he didn't make it.

      Wishing your brother a speedy recovery. xx

      Delete
  2. What goes up must come down!!! *claps hands*!!!!

    Don't eat too many dates...there'll be consequences! Gorgeous parcels X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well done! Are you ready for the next one? I'd welcome some consequences from the dates in all honesty. The tablets I take for the heart attack mean I have to add another one to the pile quite often. Senokot! Say no more. xx

      Delete
  3. I may be on the late side but am happy to say that I got it at first glance. Dates, oh dear, I have to stop at one.....or else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may be on the late side but am happy to say that I got it at first glance. Dates, oh dear, I have to stop at one.....or else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pam, I'm hoping they'll work wonders on my digestive system. A good reason to eat as many as I want don't you think! Goodness, you lot are putting me to shame. The old grey matter isn't what it used to be, they're not that obvious to me lol. Get ready for the next one xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got it right away but I think with the time difference I'm way behind everyone else. All my shopping is finished, very early for me, and the tree is up. Just have to do the wrapping and some baking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No amount of time difference would make it any easier for Mark. I went through the whole pack last night and he got about 3 with some help from Amy. I don't think he tries his hardest to be honest lol.

      The only baking I do after the Christmas cake is a few mince pies. I don't make too many either as I'm the only one who really eats them but I do like the smell of mince pies cooking on Christmas Eve. xx

      Delete