Saturday, 12 December 2015

Saturday, Sally Army and Snow?

Right, you bunch of clever clogs. Today it's a catchphrase and a riddle. I'm determined to have you scratching your heads before Christmas. The answers to yesterday's cards were 'horseback riding' and 'too little, too late', not that you need me to tell you.
It's been a wet and miserable day here at Number 38 and we've done nothing very much. Amy has been to Manchester, Thomas has been playing in his room and Mark and myself have pretty much slobbed out in front of the TV. The most exciting part of the day was Mum coming down for a brew.

I've made our annual donation to the Sally Army. They sent a little letter and a Christmas card. No pens, bookmarks, coasters, fridge magnets etc. Just a simple request for a donation. 

When I was little we lived in Chadderton and I remember them coming round every year playing Christmas Carols. At the bottom of our front garden there was a street lamp and they'd stand underneath it, probably so they could see their music sheets. We'd open the curtains and the window and switch off the lights so we could see and hear them and after they'd finished playing Mum would take out a tray of tea and coffee for them. I wonder if they still do this.
Has anybody had snow? There's none forecast here, just more rain and cloud, which is pretty standard for Manchester. 

xxx










11 comments:

  1. A cold
    Broken eggs

    I think
    Rain here too, a mucky December day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answers were 'your word' and 'scrambled eggs'. When I see the answers on the cards they're obvious, but I'm not sure if I'd get them otherwise! I like that word, mucky - describes the weather perfectly at Number 38 yesterday. xx

      Delete
  2. Yes, snow here today (though I've been in London).

    I remember the Salvation Army band used to play in the streets where I lived every Sunday and we kids used to follow them round. One day my cousin, then about 8, returned home and told my aunt he'd joined the Sally Army. And he had a trumpet to prove it!

    I thought the answer to the riddle was a promise and the catchphrase was 'scrambled eggs'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep checking the BBC weather forecast but no snow for us I'm afraid. Just clouds and rain. That is so funny about your cousin and the Sally Army. Did his parents allow him to go to the meetings and keep the trumpet?

      You were right with 'scrambled eggs'. The riddle was 'your word' which is the same thing as a promise really so you were on the right track. xx

      Delete
  3. your word. scrambled eggs.

    no snow here. Just dark greyness and rain. I had a couple of painting projects to do in the living room and I have no idea if they are done properly or blotchy, because it's been so dark it was hard to tell. The lights didn't help either. So on the first bright day I will probably walk in there and think 'oh good grief, look at the state of those'. Plus my stupid tree kept going wonky! I ended up wedging a champs cork in the stand, which so far seems to be working. one of those days!

    :o)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever girl! You got them both. I know what you mean about painting in bad light. I think our decorator went magnolia blind up at Number 14, we had to point a few bits out to him.

      We've wedged 10p pieces under our tree. Might suggest champagne corks to Mark next year, as obviously I'd get to drink the champers first. xx

      Delete
    2. Clever girl! You got them both. I know what you mean about painting in bad light. I think our decorator went magnolia blind up at Number 14, we had to point a few bits out to him.

      We've wedged 10p pieces under our tree. Might suggest champagne corks to Mark next year, as obviously I'd get to drink the champers first. xx

      Delete
  4. I thought it might be 'your heart' the thing you can keep, after giving it away. Ahhhh! And scrambled eggs!!
    It's cold and icy here but no snow. Miss 21 up in The Toon had snow but not much. It chucked it down all day but I was busy and only ventured out to do the recycling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Rachel you old romantic. The answer to the riddle was 'your word' but you were right with scrambled eggs.

      Grey and dull here today. Manchester weather is so boring! Think we might go out to the park for a bit of fresh air. We lead such exciting lives here at Number 38 haha. xx

      Delete
  5. It's bright and sunny here, which is nice after 3 days of overcast and fog. It was just like I remembered Manchester. We will be below zero degrees all week but no snow in the forecast until Christmas Eve and Day!! We have snow on the front lawn as it has snowed a few times. It will probably be there 'til April, as we face north.
    I thought 'smile'and 'scrambled eggs'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What perfect timing for snow you lucky thing. I can't remember when we last had snow here on Christmas Day. I've just discovered one of the Met Office's official sites for snow falling in order for it to be a white Christmas is Coronation Street. As much as I'd love a white Christmas not sure I'd want snow to stick around until April.

      The answers were 'your word' and 'scrambled eggs'. Lots of people on the right track with the riddle. xx

      Delete